It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #1

CuteSouthernGrl HB User
Post My grandma is just waiting for Him to take her...

I have much sadness built up inside of me and I figured this is a good place to just let out my emotions since many of you can relate. My grandma has been my best friend since the day I was born. I don't know what it was, but the very first time she held me in her arms, we just clicked. In `78, she was diagnosed with colon cancer and was given 6 months to live. Here she is today, still living. She is holding on by a thread. Everything was fine until this summer when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. I was always in and out of the hospital with her, helping her at home, doing whatever I could. Last Monday, I found out that she is terminally ill, has been given a couple days to possibly a couple weeks to live. The hospice have taken over her care now. They have her a hospital bed set up in her home, she has a catheter, she is suffering. I attend a university about 200 miles away from home so it especially breaks my heart that I can't take care of her everyday. Use to, not a day would pass when we wouldn't talk on the phone. Now, my dad just has to hold the phone to her ear while I tell her I love her. I'm so extremely saddened. My dad had to go today to set up her funeral arrangements. I went home last week as soon as I found out about her illness, and as weak as she is, she managed to let out a few tears and told me she is ready to go. Her body is so tired. She's 78. I didn't mean for this to bring anyone down, it's just nice to let out your emotions I suppose. For those of you battling this disease and those of you who have loved ones battling it, may God Bless You and your family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
You are truly a blessing to your Grandmother. I know by what you tell me that she loves you. Keep the good memories of her in your heart and even after she passes she will continue to live in your character. Remember that she is going to a beautiful place where there is no pain, or sickness, and streets of gold and plants and flowers and all the love that God can give to her My blessings to you and your family.

[This message has been edited by delrae4753 (edited 10-08-2003).]

Old 10-09-2003, 02:17 AM   #3

ann203 HB User
My heart goes out to you and your family. Your grandmother sounds like a lovely woman. Keep telling her how much you all love her and let her know that it is okay for her to go now. You are all in my prayers, God bless you, Ann.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 AM   #4

kgray HB User
Your Grandma is very lucky to have such a loving and unselfish Granddaughter. Your love reminds me of the love my own daughter had for my mother, her grandma, whom we lost just 2 years ago.

Please accept my sincerest sympathies.

Kathy

Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #5

whtnowblonde HB User
That is quite possibly the saddest, but most beautiful story at the same time. I am sorry for your loss. My Mom had colon cancer last year and thought she was cancer free until recently when we found out it had spread and she is also considered terminal now. They are doing chemo, but it is only going to extend her life. She is 68 and I am very sad and frustrated by the whole thing. My kids are very close to her and they are really going to miss out on the greatest grandma anyone could ask for. I have no idea how long she has. She is on oxygen 24 hours a day and hardly eats anything. I live about an hour away, so I know what you mean about feeling bad that you are far away. An hour seems like forever when something goes wrong. I had amazing grandparents also, so have peace in knowing how lucky you are in that. At least you will have some really good memories. Grandparents usually give you the happiest, most simple memories. Take care.

Old 10-12-2003, 11:37 AM   #6

CuteSouthernGrl HB User
Thank you all for your kind comments. My grandmother has gone into a coma. The hospice nurse told us this was to be expected. I suppose all there is to do now is to just wait.

Closed Thread