It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

LibbyMack HB User
Question walking and handwriting changes/problems

My Mom was diagnosed with SCLC 6 months ago. She had 12 treatments of taxol with good results. In the last six weeks she has had increasing leg weakness,leg and back pain. A MRI 3 weeks ago showed disk problems but no cancer. Her back has been improving but her ability to walk has not. When she is not using a walker she staggers and walks almost like a drunk...even into walls. Her handwriting which has always been textbook has also changed and for her is quite sloppy. I talked with the nurse today about these changes and was told that since her recent blood work was good and a brain scan 8/15 was clear it is unlikely (or would be rare) that there is cancer in her brain causing these changes. She hesitates to put her through more scans since she has had a chest and abdomen CT and a spine MRI in the past 6 weeks. Has anyone else seen this type of rapid change??? Any advice? I don't want to insist on a brain scan but will if need be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 12:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
It could be a side effect of the treatment, however it is by no means "rare" for lung cancer to spread to the brain (who told you that?), on the contrary it is one of the most common sites for it to metastasise to AFAIK

Inhibited Perfectionist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 08:06 PM   #3

LeisaH HB UserLeisaH HB User
rare???? no way, instead on a brain scan. Mom was diagnosed cancer free December/01, in Feburary, she was lungcancer stage 4 in March it was in her brain. Now is also the time to talk to your mom about treatments that she may or may not want. Mom, was using a cane in March, wheelchair,in April, stopped writing and recgonizing letters early April. When we brought a magazine for her, she would only look at pictures....

Old 01-04-2004, 02:35 PM   #4

trac HB User
Re: walking and handwriting changes/problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisaH
rare???? no way, instead on a brain scan. Mom was diagnosed cancer free December/01, in Feburary, she was lungcancer stage 4 in March it was in her brain. Now is also the time to talk to your mom about treatments that she may or may not want. Mom, was using a cane in March, wheelchair,in April, stopped writing and recgonizing letters early April. When we brought a magazine for her, she would only look at pictures....
hi. sorry about your mum. it may not be anything to worry about, but my friend has just died of lung cancer that spread to her brain. she lost feeling in her left side of her body after complaining of tingling and having to drag her leg. i should ask for another brain scan to be sure. but don't forget that everyone is different and just because one person had similar symptoms doesn't automatically mean everyone else will. my friend died of pneumonia in the end. it took just 3 months from being diagnosed and she got really bad really quickly. i hope your mum stays free of cancer. my friend was only 30 and has left behind two young children. it's awful. you have my best wishes.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:13 AM   #5
(female)

kiddo HB User

Dear LibbyMack,

Please insist on another brain scan. It is most important you are reassured, and that you have done all possible. I'm sure you would feel relieved knowing its done and you have a result. If you have difficulty to get one organised, seek a 2nd opinion from a doctor and get them to organise for you. Time is of the essence.

In my Dad's case, we had a CT scan of the brain last week as the doctors mentioned that possibly the cancer spread to the brain. Luckily, according to the Doc it turned out it hasn't. Although to be 100% sure (in Dad's mind and ours), today I've taken him for an MRI, which really is more to reassure us. The doctors have been wonderful and very supportive in helping to get this organised.

I send you my very best wishes.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #6

wubbogirl HB User

HI,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I know how you feel. My father past away in June from complications from lung cancer. He symptoms similar to your mother's. He had a hard time walking, dizzy, poor motor control, confusion, and symptoms similar to parkinson's. It wasn't parkinson's but he showed deterioration of the brain on MRI and a brain scan. I would insist on a brain scan. I would also suggest that you be your mother's Health Power of Attorney. My father was a very quiet person and he was apparently ill for a long time before he was diagnosed and in the end it was too late to treat him. So if you don't think something is right I would suggest that you go with your mother to her appointments.

Brittney

The following user gives a hug of support to wubbogirl:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to wubbogirl For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread