It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 08:46 AM   #1

ChazzyBear HB User
Post mom going down fast

I visited with Mom today and was shocked at how fast she is going down hill. She is very short of breath. She is dehydrated and says she can not eat---to tough on her throat. this is her 10th day of radiation and 2nd week of chemo is this normal for these side effects this fast? She has stage IIIb lung cancer and they are giving her radiation to the center of her chest. Can anyone give me some insite on these side effects are these "normal"

Old 10-23-2003, 09:18 AM   #2

mephoto HB User
My dad underwent chemo and radiation. It took a lot out of him. The chemo made him very tired and the radiation made him tired and weak. It is important that your mom get all the rest she can in between these treatments. What she is experiencing sounds normal. I remember dad sleeping all of the time. The side effects are strong, he got very weak, very pale and had no appetite, but he made himself eat. Soon the chemo and radiation will be over and she will regain her energy. Dad did, he felt much better about 2 weeks after treatments ended . Unfortunately his lung cancer came back about 6 months after treatments, it went to his bone, then to his lungs and within 6 weeks his lungs had mets everywhere. He is going downhill fast now. He is at the end now, just waiting. This major downhill just hit on Sunday. Saturday he was outside watching his grandchildren play. It's very difficult to deal with. Lung cancer is ugly, and just when you think it cannot get any worse, it does. For now just look at the positive, and take one day at a time, after the therapy, she will have some good days, dad did, and they were some of the best days we sharred as a family. We had about 6 months of great days after his treatments, they really were the best. Keep this in mind, and when your mom is done with treatments she will feel better, enjoy every minute you can with her, life is too short.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. My family and I have been through this part, if you need guidance in the future, please remember me as we have hit this milestone in the disease, and are now on the next step. Please keep us posted.

K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 10:19 AM   #3

ChazzyBear HB User
Thanks so much for your insite! This entire thing is soooo scarrry! Some days I feel guilty as I do not feel I have the strength to go another day with this but then I look at her and know that as tough as it is on me its even tougher on her,

My prayers are with you and your family.. I am tahnkful for your time that you have spared to help ease my mind and let me know what to expect. I just hope someone was there to help you as you are so willing to help me. May god bless you!

Old 10-23-2003, 11:56 AM   #4

king9228 HB User
I just want to say thank you for sharing your experience here. I am learning a lot from you. My mom has stage IIIB lung cancer. She is going to receive her first Chemo tomorrow. I'm driving down to LA to see her. I am very nervous and worried about the side effects from Chemo. Her doctor didn't recommend radiation treatment since her body is very weak already. It might do more harm to her. Anyways, I wish you and your family all the best of luck in these treatments.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:40 PM   #5

ChazzyBear HB User
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MOM ALSO , BUT MAYBE WITH BOTH OF US FACING THE SAME THING WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER. THE DOCTOR TOLD US THAT MOM DID NOT NEED THE CHEMO IF SHE DID NOT WANT TO DO IT BUT THAT THE RADIATION WAS A MUST! I AM NOT SURE WHICH WAY IS THE RIGHT WAY---I THINK THE DOC TOLD MY MOM THAT RADIATION SHOULD FREEZE THE CANCER TO GIVE HER A 20% EXTENTION AND THAT HE STRONGLEY SUGGESTED IT (WE THE KIDS WERE REALLY NOT WANTING ANY CHEMO OR RADIATION AS WE HAVE BEEN TOLD IT TAKES AWAY FROM THE QUALITY OF LIFE ONE HAS LEFT) THEY ALSO SAID THAT SHE WAS GOING TO BE GIVEN SUCH A SMALL DOSE THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE HARDLEY NO SIDE EFFECTS AND WE ARE FINDING THEM COMING FAST....SO MAYBE EACH PERSON HANDLES THINGS DIFFERENT. PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED ON HOW YOUR MOM IS DOING
MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

Old 10-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #6

trinker HB User
Sorry to hear about your mom. I'm glad that you deceided to share your experience with other people. My mom is in stage 111B lung cancer as well. At first they said no radiation - only chemo, however because the cancer has spread into her lymno under her arm and neck and into her breast as well, they have deceided to give her radiation to shrink the tumors. She will starting that right away. This really scares me as I can't be there to make sure things are ok and don't know the side effects to radiation. I know that my dad will look after my mom but it is not the same as being there. I will put your mom in my prayers and I hope that all goes well for you and make sure that you enjoy as much time as possible with her. These messages help with some of the questions, it seems like we all take something away after we finished reading them. It makes it easier to share your worry/pain, etc with other peopel who have or are going through this awful disease. Take care.

T

Old 10-23-2003, 03:15 PM   #7

clc313 HB User
when my mom started her radiation she complained of soreness and diffaculty in swallowing. what we ended up figuring out is that mac and cheese and cream of wheat worked best for the problem. Also now that she is having radiation on her brain he taste buds went caput (she says everything tasted like paste) her oncologist suggested eating spicy things.
hope this helps with your mom.
good luck and God bless

------------------
cindy

Old 10-24-2003, 07:29 AM   #8

ChazzyBear HB User
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I WILL PREPARE A HOMEMADE BATCH OF MAC AND CHEESE--HOPEFULLY SHE WILL EAT TILL SHE CAN NOT EAT ANY MORE! SHE HAS NOT EATEN HARDLEY ANYTHING IN 2 DAYS. BROTH IS IT SO SOME SUBSTANCE WILL BE GREAT! THANKS OSOOOOO MUCH
mAY GOD BLESS YO AND YOUR MOM!

Closed Thread