It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 08:04 PM   #1

stayingstrong HB User
Post Too young to leave

On August 31, 2003, my son went home to be with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. He was only 28. He was diagnosed with Lung Cancer last year about this time.It started with him complaining about his right side and back hurting and got to the point where he had to be rushed to the emergency room. They drained about 3 liters off. The fluid built back up about 2 weeks later and the doctor drained off about a liter the second time and sent it off to the Mayo Clinic to be analyzed, but before the results came back his chest filled up with fluid again and thats when they told him he had lung cancer, but they said they really don't know why he got it because it was very rare for his age. The cancer was diagnosed as unknown origin. The doctors never explained that there was no cure. The doctor told us that the Chemo would dry up the fluid so they could see the tumor and then start radiation to shrink the tumor, and we thought he would be cured, by us never having dealt with Lung Cancer I guess we didn't know what questions to ask and since we didn't ask the doctors didn't tell. Well he finished the Chemo in May of this year and the doctor said everything was fine and there was no trace of the cancer and he had a little fluid still on his right lung, but he could live with it. About 2 weeks later he started to vomit and having headaches. We went back to the doctor and the doctor told us that it was a possibility that the cancer could have moved to his brain. He ordered a CT Scan of his brain, but before he went back to the doctor, he had a seizure. We went to the emergency room and that's when we found out about the tumors in his brain. He was hospitilized and received radiation and steroids and a chest tube to drain the fluid. They released him and he was still draining on his side where they put the chest tube in, air was coming out so bad it sounded like someone was farting. The doctor put him back in the hospital because he got Emphysema from too much air coming in. He started to hemorragh, was given 2 units of blood, then got a blood clot in leg. They put a filter to keep the clot from going to major organs. Sent him home again after 2 weeks in the hospital. He was home for a week and developed a fever, it reached 105.4, went back to the doctor and he said he had gotten a severe infection. At this point they still wasn't saying what was really happening, so I demanded to know and then one of the doctors told me with an attitude, so that's when I started to go on the internet and finally found out what the doctors should have told us from the beginning. Maybe the doctor thought that we didn't want to know because we weren't asking the right question, but I don't think that's their call.If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten at another opinion or 2. This is the short version. I just told some of it to say ask the doctors question from the beginning and do research yourself.

------------------
PW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 01:11 AM   #2
Dan&cheryl

Hi. I just want to first say how sorry I am for your loss. Second, don't beat your self up for not asking the right questions. I asked so many questions and the answers usually were, "that's hard to say" or "I don't like to talk stages" or "each case is different" "it's in Gods hands" every answer but a straight one. I lost my husband because a broken rib wouldn't heal and instead of the Dr. ordering tests to find out why, he just kept giving my husband different pain pills. The Cancer doctor said the cancer was always there, the broken rib just woke it up. Sorry if I sound bitter but the death of my husband also sent my brother over the edge. He never showed up for the funeral because he was in a drug induced coma on his bedroom floor. One week to the day, he was gone.
I'm sorry to all the regulars here for rehashing old news.
Again, I'm sorry for you and your son. Cheryl

[This message has been edited by Dan&cheryl (edited 10-12-2003).]

Old 10-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #3

stayingstrong HB User
Dan & Cheryl,
Thank You for your condolesences.My sympathies go out to you and your family also. Yes I am beating myself up because even if the doctors didn't tell us about the seriousness about this Cancer I should have been more aggressive. And maybe I wanted to believe everything would be okay and he would be cured. All I know is I'm having a hard time with this and I have seen a Counselor and she suggested I go to my Doctor so she can prescribe something for severe depression. But I don't want to take drugs, but all I do is cry and when I'm not crying I want to cry. Everyone acts as if he didn't exist or maybe thats how I preceive it. There was so many complications in the end. Up until the last 2 weeks of his life, his records showed the only organ affected by the Lung Cancer was his right Lung, before it spreaded to his brain and even after it spreaded to his brain he was doing very well. He was my only child and it's getting more and more unbeareable every day and it seems no one understands. The attitude from some people is, Shame is dead, so get on with your life. But they fail to realize he is my life. Again If you suspect you have Cancer make the Doctors do the test and request they sit down and explain everthing to you and tell you the truth, so at least you know what your options are. The Cancer Treatment Centers of America is an excellent source of Traditional and Alternative Treatments. From the material I read they sent me, they treat the whole person.
God Bless you and your family

PW

[This message has been edited by stayingstrong (edited 10-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by stayingstrong (edited 10-21-2003).]

Old 10-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #4
(female)

kini23 HB User
God bless you. You are in my prayers

Old 10-26-2003, 12:19 AM   #5
(female)

chelsealam HB User
PW,

I read your message twice. I am so sad about your loss. My father has sclc now and he is only 58, we all also think that this is too 'early' for him. Age 28? Too bad and it's so hard to believe.....anyway, I will be with you and you and your dear son are in my prayers. Stay stronge! This is what you could do for your son.

Closed Thread