It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 08:54 AM   #1

trinker HB User
Unhappy mom has lung cancer

Hi, I'm new to this site and not sure how it works. My mom has just been diagonsit with NSLC - Large Cell Stage IIIB and not given't very long to live maybe 6 months. Anyway I have been hearing lots of stuff about this type such as: this cancer is the most painful of them all and just ravages the body. Can anyone give me information on this type and what we need to look for as it gets worse. I don't kive in the same city as my mom and so it is very hard to hear everything over the phone. I guess that I'm just not read to lose my mom yet we are very very close and share something very special. I just can't seem to stop crying since I heard. Sorry don't mean to go on however guess I'm just very sad. Thanks for listening.

Old 10-07-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
(female)

all things HB User
Trinker, I'm sorry your post went so long unanswered. I just logged on tonight looking for an answer for a friend of mine and saw how sad you are. I don't have any information for you, but just wanted to let you know that we care, and please post again with any questions, or if you just want to talk. Be persistent. At some point, someone is likely to know the answer to your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #3

ChazzyBear HB User
my mom was just diagnosed with the same thing! We are doing chemo---have hope and cherrish every moment you can! May God bless you ! You are in my prayers

Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 AM   #4

trinker HB User
Thank you for replying to my post. It helps, just to be able to talk to someone about all of this. Chazzybear how is your mom doing?

T

Old 10-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #5

ChazzyBear HB User
HEY TRINKER THANKS SO MUCH FOR ASKING!! SHE IS DOING OK! SHE IS ON HER 13TH DAY OF RADIATION AND 3RD TIME OF CHEMO. SHE IS LOOSING HER WILL TO EAT.. HURTS TOO MUCH IN THE THROAT..SHE IS ON SOAPS PUREED IN A PROCESSOR KNOW. SHE HAS BLISTERS ON HER FRNT AND BACK! BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL IS HER ATTITUDE IS GREAT! SHE SAYS NO MATTER WHAT SHE IS TOUGH ENOUGH TO BEAT THIS (WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS IS AN UNBEATABLE DESEASE)BUT WE WILL LET HER HAVE THAT DREAM! WE CHERRISH EVERY DAY TO THE FULLEST! YESTERDAY WE HAD A SOUP PARTY---SHE WAS HAPPY TO HAVE ALL OF US THERE!
HOW IS YOUR MOM DOING? DID SHE OPT TO DO CHEMO AND RADAITION? KEEP PRAYING AND HOPING TOUCHING AND HUGGING HER EVERY DAY! LET HER KNOW THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS BE THERE!
MAY GOD BLESS

Old 10-27-2003, 09:40 AM   #6

trinker HB User
Chazzybear, I'm glad the your mom's attitude is great, she sounds like she is a very special lady. I'm sure that the soup party was a great success, sometimes it is just begin together that makes everything seem better. My mom will be taking both radition/chemo. She hasn't started yet, but should be shortly. My mom and I live in different cities (approx 1100 miles apart). I talk to her at least once a week and e-mail a number of times (say how much I love/miss her) but of course it isn't the same as begin there. Thank you for asking about my mom. I will continue to read this board for updates on her and you can contact me anytime you need to. Take care - god bless - any you and your family are in my prayers always.

T

Old 10-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #7

ChazzyBear HB User
Trinker,
My heart goes out to you---1100 miles away! I too have a sister that lives far away(not that far) and I know how hard it is for her--she has lived away for a long time though--and prefers it that way. I have always been kinda "a momma's girl" and have always lived close BUT far or close the love for a Mom/Child does not change! Just remember a card, a call, a picture is worth a 1000 words or miles in your case.
Keep in touch --it is nice to talk to someone who is right there with me! THANKS FOR LISTENING

Old 10-28-2003, 07:14 AM   #8

LeisaH HB UserLeisaH HB User
Tinker, I am sorry for the long delay in answering. It is interesting that the docs have given you a timeline. I understand the distance that you will be traveling. I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom and mom's last 7 months of life were spent traveling back and forth. I was spending 1 week there every month, except for the last month, were I only spent three days at home.

It is going to be a long hard road for you. Find a great phone plan, so that you do not get a huge bill one month. Freeze quick foods for your family, so that if you do not feel like cooking, or you need to go see your mom, then there are meals ready for them.

Keep hope...... there is always hope.... it may change day to day, but it will always be there. A good book that you may want to get, is called the final gifts.... It is a great book to read.

Get a video camera, and get pictures of your mom..... have fun with her, listen to her....... tell her that you love her.....

I do not want to be depressing here but it is a hard road that has been given to your mom..... We are all here to help you, help your mom, help you with question..... Please do not worry about rambling on, we have all done it here.

Old 11-16-2003, 12:07 PM   #9

Neuen HB User
Hi Trinker, Sorry to hear about your Mom. My husband is suffering from small cell lung cancer, but my faith in God, the power of prayer through the Blessed Virgin Mary and in Jesus has brought about healing. He was in remission for four months and then in August it returned, and twice seven weeks ago he was told by the oncologist that he would die. I prayed and prayed and from the 16 October he has been getting better and better, on his last hospital appointment the Professor of Oncology could not understand what made the bottom lobe of his left lung return. Lungs do not regenerate. Well his lobe was there, and I shall keep you posted what takes places on his next vist in two weeks time. He is taking oral chemo. Take care and God Bless, if you would like I can add your Mom in my prayers.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:52 AM   #10

trinker HB User
Neuen-thanks for your kind thoughts. By all means please added my mom to your prayers. I hope that your husband continues to improve - you and your family and in my thoughts.

T.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #11

ChazzyBear HB User
Re: mom has lung cancer

hey trinker how is your mom doing? have not heard from you in a while? Is everything going ok???

Old 11-24-2003, 11:26 AM   #12

trinker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzyBear
hey trinker how is your mom doing? have not heard from you in a while? Is everything going ok???
Hi ChazzyBear was thinking about you on the weekend. How is your mom doing? How are you and your family holding up? My mom is doing ok, had her first treatment for radiation (5 days in a row). She didn't seem to have to many side effects the first while, but in the last couple of days she has gotten a rash on her back (where the treatment was), that is extremly itchy. She is a little bit on the tired side now but not too bad. Other than that eveything else seems to be the same. We just take it one day at a time. I talk to her on the phone a couple times a week and then also e-mail a number of times. I sure will miss her when is is gone, we are such good friends not just mom and daughter. Thank you so much for asking about my mom. It is nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing. Keep in touch and let me know how you and your mom are doing.

T.

Old 11-24-2003, 01:34 PM   #13

ChazzyBear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinker
Hi ChazzyBear was thinking about you on the weekend. How is your mom doing? How are you and your family holding up? My mom is doing ok, had her first treatment for radiation (5 days in a row). She didn't seem to have to many side effects the first while, but in the last couple of days she has gotten a rash on her back (where the treatment was), that is extremly itchy. She is a little bit on the tired side now but not too bad. Other than that eveything else seems to be the same. We just take it one day at a time. I talk to her on the phone a couple times a week and then also e-mail a number of times. I sure will miss her when is is gone, we are such good friends not just mom and daughter. Thank you so much for asking about my mom. It is nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing. Keep in touch and let me know how you and your mom are doing.

T.
hey trinker,
tell your mom to ask the radiation people about a lotion she can put on her to help with the itching! I hope your Mom does well with it! My Mom has 3 treatments left and then they are talking about extending 6 more! She is getting very weak, raw on front and back , nose bleeds, trouble eating---pureeing foods, she had to stop chemo as her blood counts are way off, blood pressure too low, but her attitude is great---she likes her naps but does not want to sleep long as she wants to make sure she does not miss anything! She has a "i am gonna beat it attitude" and always possitive---she may go down a little then she has to get the reassurance from us kids and she is back on the possitive road! Hugs and kisses are passed out very often----she can not touch us enough... its kinda funny because we were not raised that way and know all she does is hug and kiss and I luv u's!!! (DONT GET ME WRONG I LOVE IT)
Have you ever heard of this stuff called noni juice! My Mom has been drinking it---they claim it helps shrink tumors
keep in touch---know that you are in my thoughts and prayers often. May you cherrish every last moment with her!

Closed Thread