It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 04:28 PM   #1

TheColonel HB User
Post Chicken Pox and Cancer

As if we didn't have enough trouble. My son has chicken pox. He was sleeping on me all day. What's the chances of me getting them as I've never had them? How will that affect my cancer?

Walter

Old 10-18-2003, 07:11 PM   #2

Mich4 HB User
Hi Walter,

I have followed your story, and my heart aches for you and your family. I lost my mother to lung cancer last January. You sound like such a loving father. I am so sorry about your wife.
I don't know about the chicken pox. Are you in treatment right now, I imagine that lowers your immune system. I would ask your doctor about an antiviral drug or something.
How is your cancer right now. ARe you in remission?

God bless you and your family.
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 12:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
I've never heard of a disease directly affecting cancer per se, but it's well known that childhood diseases are a lot more severe in adults.

I think your best bet is to ask either your son's physician (he should know) or even the various hospice people and your own doctor, not only are they the only ones who really know the state of your health (esp. your immune system as that plays a big role obviously) but also they should know better than us lot on an Internet forum

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 10-19-2003, 03:16 AM   #4

ann203 HB User
Dear Walter, I had chickenpox in May 1989. I was 31 years old at the time and I caught pneumonia on top of the chickenpox. I had to spend 22 days in hospital. I also lost the use of my left leg for about 6 months due to a nerve palsy from the chickenpox affecting my central nervous system. That's how I came to this board to start with, an x-ray showed nodules in my lungs, but I have since been assured that the nodules are only scar tissue left over from the chickenpox pneumonia and not cancer as I originally feared. Chickenpox can be a serious illness in an adult, so if I were you I would seek medical advice straight away. I'm not saying that chickenpox affects all adults the way it did with me, but it's much better to play it safe and seek some medical guidance. I was just one of the unlucky ones I guess. Please let us know how you get on. Take care now, God bless, Ann.

Old 10-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #5

TheColonel HB User
I'm currently undergoing treatment with Gemzar. I had stopped, but when Dana died I decided I had to fight again. The doctor didn't call back yet, go figure, it's Sunday. I've been trying to stay away from him as best I can. He's at a friend's who also has chicken pox.

I'll let you know if I do get them. Just wondering if it would be dangerous. I can see if can be with or without cancer. Poor Anne.

And to answer Michele, no, I'm not in remission, but I'm not giving up.

Thanks,
Walter

Old 10-19-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
Dan&cheryl

Hello Walt. I have so much trouble staying away from this board since I feel like I have real friends here.
How are your kids doing since they lost their mom? If you feel up to talking, would you let us know exactly what did happen. What kind of surgery was Dana having? My brother will be going in for more back surgery and since he pretty much is the only man left in my family, I worry about all sorts of things.
Another thing I wonder about is grief councelling (sp?). I haven't yet talked to anyone but I know I do need to. Have you? Any time you want to tell me to MYOB. I will. Just know that I think about how you're coping. Cheryl

Old 10-19-2003, 09:43 PM   #7

Nancy Ellen HB User
Walter, how can you be posting on this board if you are dying?

Old 10-20-2003, 03:54 AM   #8
Inactive

bostton1 HB User
Walter,

I am sorry to hear about the chicken pox. There have been some cases through history of cancer going into spontaneous remission after a bout with chicken pox/shingles(same virus)it has something to do with immune response. Unfortunately this does not happen very often. It also cannot be duplicated in the lab setting. I was wondering if you have tried any treatments from the major medical centers around Bayonne, I hear The Cancer Institute of New Jersey is one of the best and have a tremendous amount of clinical trials being conducted on a routine basis.

John

[This message has been edited by bostton1 (edited 10-20-2003).]

Old 10-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #9

TheColonel HB User
Well, Nancy, laptop are wonderful invention. Actually, all I really do is post on the border, and watch television. Not at all strenuous activities.

I'm also trying to avoid dying, which is why I am trying to kick the cancer out with more chemo. So far, not more, no less. I had decided a bit ago to give up, since Dana, I decided against it.

Walter

Old 10-21-2003, 06:58 PM   #10

LeisaH HB UserLeisaH HB User
Walter, it is good to hear from you. I had experience with mom and chemo and chicken pox. Mom too had never had them and when we were visiting, I exposed my youngest to chicken pox. Not knowing at the time that they were. Her cancer doc, advised that we move out of her house, asap, and not to bring my youngest back for 14 days, or until the pox dried up. Your immune system is the lowest point it can be. Get the drugs asap..... stay on them for as long as the doc says. I know it is hard, but it has to be done.

I am glad to see you up and fighting. I log on at least once a week to see how you are doing.

Old 10-22-2003, 09:41 AM   #11

kgray HB User
I am glad that you are keeping us posted on how you are doing. Take care of yourself.

[This message has been edited by kgray (edited 10-22-2003).]

Old 10-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #12
Inactive

hope1220 HB User
It is wonderful to hear from you walter-- I have kept up with your story just like everyone else here on the board and like Cheryl said I too feel like we are all close friends. I loved your response about dying-- you sound like you still have a bit of humor left that's great. We are ALL pulling for you Walter, all of us from all over the world!! If anyone can pull this off you can. I lost my Dad 2 1/2 months after he was dx with lung cancer and then 15 days later I lost my mom who had already been fighting lc for 18 months - It will be great to say that I "know" someone who was "thiiiiiiiisss" close but fought back and he won!!! I want that person to be you-- I am praying for you walter in fact you are on my prayer list at my church of 3500 members. Take care and keep us updated when you can--- Hope B.
PS- Sorry for re-hashing my stories for all of you "old members" sometimes it is just hard NOT to share---

Old 10-22-2003, 03:32 PM   #13

TheColonel HB User
Today, I feel up to posting a bit longer, so, I'll take on Cheryl's query.

Dana had to have an operation on her hip to find out if a large calcified mass she had there was an osteosarcoma or not. She was also at the time pregnant with out third child. That's what happens when you get a second wind, I suppose. Anyway, she had the surgery the first time and appeared to be recovering nicely, but her blood was very thick and she had a blood clot to the lungs.

They took her back to the hospital and tried to thin the blood out but they couldn't do it as much as they'd like to because of the pregnancy. She had another clot to her lungs a few days later. By then her system was very weak and she couldn't fight against it. Her heart gave out and she died.

The kids are handling it as best they can. Our son is concerned about me, for I was depressed for a bit after she passed on. Now, I've bounced back a bit, decided to fight. I miss her like crazy, I ache for want of holding her again, but my kids need me.

I haven't had any grief counselling, for my own discipline is the only counselling I need. I'm seeking some out for my son just to check.

I'll be praying for you and your brother. Let us know how it went.

Walter

Old 10-22-2003, 10:04 PM   #14
Dan&cheryl

Thank you Walter. My brother was a Marine, joined at 17. Vietnam vet, so as you know, and are, he's tough. Just got a promotion to Chief for the County Sheriff Dept. Little bragging there...

I know how you feel when you say you miss the feel of Dana. That is almost the worse part. Danny also had thick blood. He had to have a unit drawn every week and then every 2 weeks, etc. It was a condition called Polycythemia. Too much smoking and too much asbestos at work.

Anyway, I just want to say how much we all here are pulling for you. I know Nancy just meant that your story was almost unbelieveable. She is one of the nicest people I've gotten to know here. Hope, Leisa, Donna, so many that have had to face so much. Since Danny has gone I don't come here as often so I know there are many more wonderful people sending you good thoughts. You keep up the good work, and I promise to pray a little extra just for you.
Cheryl

Old 10-25-2003, 08:23 PM   #15

my_angel_sophie HB User
Hello Walter, I just came across your post by accident. It seems we are in the same boat. I just lost my daughter to Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia 10 days ago. Today is her birthday she would be 16. I am so angry at the cancer. You are very brave. I just wanted to tell you that I admire your courage. Hang in there.

Kate

Closed Thread