It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 AM   #16
(female)

zeez HB User
Re: changes in CT SCAN

Hi DeLady,

Sounds like your doctor graduated from Butt-head University! Geez! I cannot believe how he treated you. I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this. Have you had any blood tests run that would indicate cancer? I don't know what tests are indicative for lung cancer but I would think there'd have to be some. I would also think before they'd recommend invasive surgery, they would want a little more "evidence" to go on - i.e. bloodwork.

I recently had a ct-scan and they found a 5mm nodule in my lung. The oncologist recommended the 3 month followup scan. They were checking for lymphoma and he also ran some bloodwork on me. All came back negative. Something he did tell me about the nodule was that it was too small to biopsy and that if I wanted it removed it would involve opening up the lung, which I don't want to do unless absolutely necessary. I'm gonna wait the 3 months and give the nodule time to change (if it is going to) and go from there.

If you haven't had any bloodwork specific to lung cancer, maybe you could have that done. Since you have already had some changes in the ct-scan, I myself would reluctantly be leaning toward surgery. I wish you the best and I'm gonna keep this thread "subscribed" so I can keep up with how things are going with you.
~zeez

Oh -- a note to Tiz -- sounds like your doctor went to the same university as DeLady's!! Why would this doctor NOT run a test for fungus????? That is just beyond belief!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 05:46 AM   #17
(female)

zeez HB User

Okay, since I opened my yap about cancer tests I decided I better go look up what tests can be run for lung cancer. Here's what I found:

--Sputum cytology - the microscopic examination of cells obtained from a deep-cough sample of mucus in the lungs.

--Bloodwork- CA125, DR-70, and the T/Tn antigen test, CEA.
~zeez

Old 05-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #18
(female)

rhebeka HB User

I would immediatley see another doctor. Either a pulmonologist or a cardiac-throacic surgeon. None of the things you mention sound like a wait and see attitude should be taken. The sooner you find something definitive the better off you are, especially if there is a malignancy there and if it's not at least your mind will be at peace.

Prayers and HugZ.........Becky a/k/a Rhebeka

Old 05-23-2005, 12:07 PM   #19
(male)

BobE HB User

Thx Tiz, and everybody else too! I had a Cat scan a few weeks ago of my throat, all was well. BUT they noticed a nodule in my lung, I go in Thur the 26th for a new Cat scan to look at that.

I am a Lary, had throat cancer and a laryngectomy in Jan '99. I breathed thru the open stoma until Jan '04 when I got a HME (filter). I had not realized how 'hard' I'd been on my lungs until I used the HME for many months, then I worried about what damage I'd done to 'em not having a filter for 5 yrs. So I guess I'm not surprised about the nodule.

Anyway, I'll have more data in a few days. So U may see me back here - whining... BobE

Old 05-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #20
(female)

JulieMarie HB User

My mom had a shadow on her lung when they did her Xray, they didn't think it was cancer, they sent her for a lung CTScan and the shadown was still there, so they waited 6 months and sent her again (shadow was still there) She say a pulmologist and he didn't think it was anything serious but decide to do a bronchoscopy to see if there was anything in her lungs, she just got the result last Friday, they didn't see anything abnormal, they did A LOT of blood test to try and find out what the shadow might be.

Let us know how you are doing.
Take care,
JulieMarie

Old 05-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #21
(male)

BobE HB User

OK folks, I think I'm happy with the CT scan results. Not sure I'm but feeling a lot better than I might have been... Here's what I said to family and friends. BobE
~~~~~~
Hi Mom, spent about 15 minutes talking to Dr. Cryer. He says the report is pretty good in that they think cancer is less likely. They think it is just atelectasis - which mean my lungs do not fully inflate & the folds that don't inflate have scarred over. They will do the CT scan again in three months to make sure nothing changes.

========================
Alternative names Partial lung collapse

Atelectasis is the collapse of part or all of a lung by blockage of the air passages (bronchus or bronchioles), or by very shallow breathing. See also pneumothorax.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Anesthesia, prolonged bed rest with few changes in position, shallow breathing, and underlying lung diseases are risk factors for atelectasis. Secretions that plug the airway, foreign objects (common in children) in the airway, and tumors that obstruct the airway may lead to atelectasis.

In an adult, small regions of atelectasis are usually not life-threatening, because unaffected parts of the lung compensate for the loss of function in the affected area. Large-scale atelectasis, especially in someone who has another lung disease or illness may be life-threatening. In a baby or small child, lung collapse due to a mucus obstruction or other causes can be life-threatening.

Massive atelectasis may result in the collapse of a lung.
-snip-
Encourage movement and deep breathing in anyone who is bedridden for long periods.
========================

A search on atelectasis will yeild much more info. BobE

Closed Thread