It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
(male)

sealion HB User
Question Is anyone on Tarceva and what are the results

My wife has nsc lung cancer and has had 2 cycles of chemo
and is now starting Tarceva...

Old 04-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #2

SOCA HB User
Re: Is anyone on Tarceva and what are the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion
Why was your wife switched to Tarceva so soon ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
(male)

sealion HB User

her first cycle of cemo was in 2001 followed by sugery (lobectomy) two years of clear blood and ct scans then a reacurrance in lymph nodes and addreanal glands followed by
another cycle of Taxol & Cisplatin in june 2004 ,

Old 04-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #4

SOCA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion
Initial response was very good BUT I've quickly learned that an initial response with chemo oftentimes isn't a very reliable longer-term indicator. Ask me again in about 3 months after my wife gets her next PET scan.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
(male)

sealion HB User

thanks for the comeback, I will check back with you....

Old 05-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

sportzjunkee25 HB User

My mom is currently on tarceva..she started with Gemzar and she responded very poorly to that........so far Tarceva has not been effective.....she has rashes on her neck and chest... and it seems to be doing something to her vocal chords......everyone is different though so hopefully your loved one will respond well to it.......thoughts and prayers are with you

Old 05-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #7

SOCA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzjunkee25
My mom is currently on tarceva..she started with Gemzar and she responded very poorly to that........so far Tarceva has not been effective.....she has rashes on her neck and chest... and it seems to be doing something to her vocal chords......everyone is different though so hopefully your loved one will respond well to it.......thoughts and prayers are with you

Sorry to hear that Tarceva isn't working. I couldn't help but notice that no face rash was mentioned. This is key, esp. the " T " rash formation on the face.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
(female)

Fergie C HB User
Smile Re: Is anyone on Tarceva and what are the results

My husband was diagnosed in Jan. 2005 with NSCLC, state 3B/4. He received four infusions of taxol and carboplatin concurrently with Tarceva. The Tarceva is working (he has the mutation), and his cancer had diminished by 50% based upon the CT scan taken after the second infusion He continues with the Tarceva and will have a second CT scan this coming week. He feels very well. He had a very bad rash from the Tarceva initially, so bad that he had to take an oral antibiotic. The rash was on his face, chest, and back with many bad pimples on his nose. The rash is a lot better now. It has appeared at all different places on his body - moving around. His face is not pimply anymore, but somewhat rashy and red.

Somebody asked, why Tarceva so soon? Why not, if it works? Tarceva was approved by the FDA for cases in which other treatments had first failed. Its use has now been pushed forward (off label) to be a first line of treatment along with chemo -- by doctors who are on the cutting edge. That was the way it worked with Herceptin for breast cancer - first approved for metastatic breast cancer and now used as first line.

Fergie C

Old 05-22-2005, 05:12 AM   #9
(male)

RSW112463 HB User

DEb has been through Gemzar, Navelbine, Carboplatiin, taxotere; I THINK, and 6 weeeks of maximum radiation. She was then put on Tarceva. The rash is a sign that the drug is working the way it should It Will go away. After 6 months of Tarceva the drug stopped working for her. She is now taking Etoposide. Her tumor had grown by 20% but nothiing showed any sign of Spreading anywhere else. The locatioin of the tumor may also have something to do with the voice. My wife souds like Minne Mouse to people .

Closed Thread