It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

J.Rogers HB User
chemo

Hi....I posted a week or so ago concerning my husband. He had a lobectomy done on March 31st. We were told they got all the cancer and all the lymph nodes showed up clean. They had told us in the beginning it was broncheoavelor type tumor. The doctor told us yesterday the tumor was a stage one, 1b, which is good and it was nsclc. He told us it was more along the lines of the adenoma type of cancer. The only thing concerning the doctor was, he said the cutoff or something for the size of a tumor for chemo treatments was 3.0....My husbands tumor was 3.0 the doctor has suggested about 4 chemo treatments for safety precautions. Has anyone had this type and did they do the chemo? My husband has had a couple heart attacks over the last 9 years and is scared of the chemo. Any recomendations here as to what anyone else would do? Thanks for any help...J. Rogers

Old 04-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

lisalp HB User
Re: chemo

My husband had the same type of lung cancer. I was lucky enough to have a sister who is Director of Radiation Oncology at a major hospital in PA who guided us thru this ordeal otherwise I wouldn't have know where to start. My husband was treated very agressively at Sloan Kettering Memorial Hospital in NYC. I'm sure your Doctor wants to do 4 rounds of chemo because even though they removed the tumor and the margins and lymph nodes were clear, if one single cancer cell is somewhere in his body it can come back. As far as your husbands heart attacks, find out which chemo's he will be given and their side effects. There are all types of chemotherapy (chemical therapy). His doctor may be prescribing him a mild one. Ask your Doctor to help you understand why he needs this. To have had successful removal of the tumor is wonderful! I'm sure things will be looking up for you in the near future. Good luck, my heart goes out to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

J.Rogers HB User
Talking Re: chemo

Thanks lisalp.....I hope my husband will do as they want him to do but so far he is against the chemo. He see's the oncologist on the 2nd of May and maybe she can explain things to him better then the surgeon did. He is far to young to be having all these problems or so the doctors say. Glad your husband did well with his. How long ago was your husbands surgery? I know he would never go the really heavy chemo for them unless they told him it was the only way. Thanks again for the reply

Old 05-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #4
(female)

yandt HB User

Hi J. Rogers
I was diagnosed with the same cancer as your husband, the tumer was very large (stage 3) The lower 3rd of the right lung was removed on the 7th of Mar/05. The way the thorasic surgen explained the reason for his recomending the Chemo ( 4 cycles of 3 treatments)was that there is always a slight chance that when the tumor was removed that possibly some drops of the liquid that was inside the tumor could spash on the left lung or on the remaining right lung and it could start a new cancer once again.
I have finshed the first cycle and believe me I was as fearfull as can be, The first session was what I call the learning one, if you get nauseated, heart-burn, constapated, diareah etc, etc, I was given a few numbers to contact and a RN imediatly contacted me and if she was unable to help she then contacted the oncologist and he/she would get a perscription out to me.I dn't know how sick your husband was before the BAC cancer was diagnosed, but I feel stronger and soooo much better then I did when I supposedly had persistant pnemonia since Sept/04
sorry my story is so long but I trully want others to go the extra mile and do all they can to help beat the monster.time spent in the Chemotherapy room is such a learning experience and one is soo humbled by the whole increadable picture of other patience raw courage.
It has to be your husbands choice and trust that he is making the right one. God Bless and good luck...yandt (60+) and feeling great

Last edited by yandt; 05-24-2005 at 10:56 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
(female)

yandt HB User

Hi J. Rogers
I was diagnosed with the same cancer as your husband, the tumer was very large (stage 3) The lower 3rd of the right lung was removed on the 7th of Mar/05. The way the thorasic surgen explained the reason for his recomending the Chemo ( 4 cycles of 3 treatments)was that there is always a slight chance that when the tumor was removed that possibly some drops of the liquid that was inside the tumor could spash on the left lung or on the remaining right lung and it could start a new cancer once again.
I have finshed the first cycle and believe me I was as fearfull as can be, The first session was what I call the learning one, if you get nauseated, heart-burn, constapated, diareah etc, etc, I was given a few numbers to contact and a RN imediatly contacted me and if she was unable to help she then contacted the oncologist and he/she would get a perscription out to me.I dn't know how sick your husband was before the BAC cancer was diagnosed, but I feel stronger and soooo much better then I did when I supposedly had persistant pnemonia since Sept/04
sorry my story is so long but I trully want others to go the extra mile and do all they can to help beat the monster.time spent in the Chemotherapy room is such a learning experience and one is soo humbled by the whole increadable picture of other patience raw courage.
It has to be your husbands choice and trust that he is making the right one. God Bless and good luck...yandt (60+) and feeling great

Old 05-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

J.Rogers HB User

Hi Yantd.....my husband opted not to do the four chemo treatments and no amount of talking to him would help. He was not sick or feeling bad when diagonoized with the cancer. He had a mild cough for a month or so but other then that nothing. I am afraid this is going to come back on him but decided it was his decision to make. I wish there was some magic I could use to help all those on here to beat this disease. I am glad that you are doing so good and I appreciate your reply. I pray for all of the people on here along with praying that my husband made the right decision. thanks J. Rogers

Closed Thread