It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

alexandraB HB User
what's radiation like?

hello all. we just found out my father's nsclc has metastasized to the brain (one tumor, size of a cherry). he will be starting radiation soon (not yet sure of dose, times etc). he was originally dx in dec 2004 and has been on chemo for the past 4 months, he is 71. i am looking for any info on radiation, what to expect from it. what are the side effects, what can one do to help allieviate them? he had barely any side effect from the chemo (only tiredness) and has no other health problems aside from the cancer. thanks for any help! -a

Old 05-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #2

sheryl555 HB User
Re: what's radiation like?

AlexandraB,
So sorry about your father's mets to the brain. When this happened with my grandmother, she had radiation for 6 weeks. The most pronounced symptom was a very, very sore throat. Where she received her radiation they gave us a book of recipes for soft, nutrious food. It helped some what.
Good luck to your father and my prayers are with the both of you.
Sheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

tmarie HB User

When my dad had brain radiation (he was 61 and passed away 3 weeks ago) he was just really tired. His personality changed but he was so postive and comical it helped us all get throught the rough time. He had 4 brain tumors. He started with lung cancer then it moved to his hip, pelvic area, spine, brain then liver. His humorous attitude is something I will always treasure.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

alexandraB HB User

Dear Sheryl and tmarie: thank you both for sharing your experiences with me. sheryl- thanks for the idea about the soft foods book, my dad actually had an oesophagus infection last month as a result of the chemo, and we all know when one is exposed to all that treatment etc food doesnt always taste so good...tmarie -your father's attitude sounds just like my dad's! he is so positive all the time and laughs, and when he does feel down, he is just real angry at "this stupid disease" as he says, rather than depressed. its the good things like that sense of humor that make our loved ones who they are, and remembering that about them is the best way to honor them during life, sickness, and beyond. i'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! all my best, ~a

Old 05-17-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
(female)

shopgirl57 HB User

Radiation can take alot out of person, make you tired. I went and got my Mother boost, she says the chocolate flavor is the best, it really did give her more energy. There are alot of vitamins in this drink. Boost (plus) is the best. They have vanilla and strawberry flavors also. It taste better when it is cold. Radiation really took alot from my Mother. She weighed 175, now weighs 97 pounds. She has unoperable lung cancer, so it has taken its toll on her. Cancer is a monster, and I want you to know, you all will be in my prayers also.

Last edited by shopgirl57; 05-17-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
(male)

sportzjunkee25 HB User

When my mom received radiation the first 2 weeks were real good..she only complained of a sore throat.....I think at about week 3 or 4 is when she had a terrible few days....extremely confused, terrible memory, loss of balance, best way to describe it was like a 3 day serious concussion...after the 4th day she bounced back very well.....and after several months her brain was completely clear of all white spots.

Closed Thread