It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User
Re: Nodule in Lung

Yes, I agree that it is encouraging.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #17
(male)

BobE HB User

Smithn, I posted this Q over on the 'open to all' brd but thought I'd ask here also. Just over a month ago a nodule was found by CT scan, in my lung which has me wondering about a past heater core pblm. Here's the question:

I am a Lary, had a laryngectomy in Jan '99 and breathe thru a stoma NOT thru my nose, hence I don't normally smell at all. Several yrs ago my car's heater broke & leaked on a winter morning. I couldn't figure why the heater wouldn't clear the 'fog' off the windows, finally realized it was on the inside. When I made the effort (like chewing gum) to smell, the aroma of antifreeze was very strong - I had been breathing it for several miles. I think it came close to killing me. It kept getting harder to breathe over about a 3 day period.

I've been searching the web, medical site, etc. All I find is info about "Inhaler abuse" or children/pets drinking antifreeze. Does anyone know where I might find more info on what happens when one inhales antifreeze? BobE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 02:42 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

BobE-

Inhaling antifreeze for any amount of time is dangerous and can be fatal, depending on the amount. Some effects you would experience would be nausea, vomiting, swelling in the face or neck, heart rhythm abnormalities, and/or wheezing, shortness of breath or coughing. If you were exposed to certain amounts antifreeze (or any other inhalant) for a longer period of time in terms of days, weeks, months etc., you would develop an abnormal cardiac pattern, liver problems and skeletal or tissue abnormalities.

Because you were only exposed to the fumes for several miles I would not think at all that this would be linked to your lung nodule. You suffered a 3-day bout with shortness of breath which resolved thereafter, right? It most likely caused a good deal of irritation to your lungs. If the damage was permanent, you would have not have regained a good breathing pattern again. More than anything else, I wonder why you had the larynectomy - for cancer or because of an injury of some type? Do you have a history of cancer of any kind? Do you smoke or have you ever smoked? What did your doctor tell you about this lung nodule - is it a cancer and if it is, is it small cell or non-small cell? What kind of follow up are you having now? Are you scheduled for a biopsy at this point?

Old 06-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #19
(male)

BobE HB User

Thx for the reply Smithn, Yes I had throat cancer, 37 days in hospital (they told me they didn't think I'd ever leave), then 37 days radiation starting a few days after going home. No, I never smoked - or drank more than small amount a few times a yr. I'm 62 and been a runner for over 25 yrs. I've also had CLL over a decade.

Here's part of what I said over at 'changes in CT SCAN':
OK folks, I think I'm happy with the CT scan results. Not sure I'm but feeling a lot better than I might have been... Here's what I said to family and friends. BobE
~~~~~~
Hi Mom, spent about 15 minutes talking to Dr. Cryer. He says the report is pretty good in that they think cancer is less likely. They think it is just atelectasis - which mean my lungs do not fully inflate & the folds that don't inflate have scarred over. They will do the CT scan again in three months to make sure nothing changes.

Last edited by BobE; 06-01-2005 at 07:13 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Okay, BobE, I'm glad that you are satisfied with your CT results. Be sure to remind your doctor when it's time for your follow up in case his nurse is behind in her desk work and she doesn't get a hold of you sooner rather than later. Take good care of yourself

Old 06-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #21
(male)

BobE HB User

I'd read all the post here earlier, I just re-read 'em. (Yeah, I'm a slow learner..) It is good to have the 'group' gathering and it Gr8 that smithn here to hold our hand since she's in the business. Thx again!

I'll have to ask Cindy if it's a non contrast scan coming up for me.

Re the Atelectasis, I ran two miles this morning in 22 mins or 11min a mile so I'm thinking I must not be having too much of a 'failing to fully inflate' pblm.

BobE

Last edited by BobE; 06-01-2005 at 10:54 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #22
Inactive

txchaz HB User

I wanted to just add that you can never be to cautious, never rest, or get comfortable with this condition. I do not want to scare anyone but this can be a very serious situation. If I can add anything to this is make sure that you do not get lost in the shuffle, do not let doctors not answear your questions. Push and push and push unti you are satisfyed with the answears they are giving you. Do not leave your health and basically your life up to someone else, take charge and get the answears you want. I hope our story does not scare you, just be cautious. Unfortuneately Chaz and I cannot go back and change our out come.

hold on like there is no tomarrow.

Last edited by txchaz; 06-01-2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: sp

Old 06-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #23
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

My husband { 40 } had something very similar alittle over a year ago.
It started with an enlarged mass in his neck that got so large it was as big
if not bigger than a baseball in his neck. Being one afraid of doctors
he put going to one for months until finaly the pain became to much and he
went to the ER in which all they did was check his blood { was normal } and
told him to get to a doctor pronto. We did not have insurance at that time
so he was forced to use our city's free clinic { just terrible }. The doctor
there thought lymphomia { spelling ? } and had him do a cat scan. A nodule
on his lung was found { was told it was very small }. Long story short we
finaly got state assisted insurance and hubby got into a real doctor a
surgeon. He drained the neck { no cancer } and believed the nodule
was related to the neck infection { something to due with us living in Ohio
and hubby working outdoors. } Hubby was put on two very strong anti-
biotics and re-cat scanned in three months and poof the nodule was gone. He also was a smoker and that scared him into quitting. { yeah !!}

Wishing you the best of luck. Just wanted to share because we so feared it
was lung cancer and so did the clinic doctors. Thank goodness for my
the surgeon who figured out this mess and fixed it.

Baylee

Old 06-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #24
Inactive

korusgirl HB User

Hi Monica,
Just want you to know my story. This past Tuesday, I found out from the pulmonologist that the 2cm lesion in upper left lobe seen in two previous cat scans .........did show (lit) up on the PetScan I had last Friday and 80% probability its cancer.
I have an appt. with a chest surgeon this Monday.

What happened to me was this: I had pneumonia (slight) in Jan. My GP had two chest xrays done neither of which showed anything unusual.
He then said he wanted me to go for a cat scan because the cough,bronchitis was still there. So, cat scan showed this 2cm lesion iin upper left lobe. At that time, my GP made an appointment with a pulmonologist.

The pulmonologist had a second cat scan done, as it had been almost two months by the time I got to see him. He advised wait another 3 months, no change in size and he said the lesion wasn't opaque, it had a cracked glass look and that was a good thing!

I walked out of his office very happy. It was Easter, the next weekend we had several family birthdays to attend to. But when I had time to sit down and think, I just couldn't live with being told to come back every three months ... I wasn't an ostrich, and needed to know.

So I went for a second opinion to a another pulmonologist who made the same recommendation of waiting 3 months. Two weeks later, after becoming a nervous wreck, I returned and told him isn't there anything you can do like a bronchoscopy or something so I can know for certain what this is?
He knew that I was ultra frustrated with the "wait and see" situation and he said he would order a PetScan ... which I had last Friday..... and for me the rest is history at this point. But I can tell you I am very glad I hadn't been sitting waiting for this thing to grow or metastasize.. I'm just not that type of person.

I can't emphasize strongly enough, Monica, that you need to get the copies of your reports, read them, and decide whether you can wait. If you have the insurance to cover a PetScan do it now.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Bob- I'm impressed that you can run two miles! I can't and I'm as healthy as can be! lol Good for you!

Last edited by smithn; 06-04-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Korusgirl- I replied to your question on your other thread "I need advice on what to ask a chest surgeon on Monday".

Last edited by smithn; 06-05-2005 at 08:28 AM.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #27
(female)

signing HB User

Hi everyone,

I am still sitting here not knowing anything. My repeat CT scan will be in August. I have been spending a lot of time on these boards and have read some tragic and horrifying stories about people whose cancer had spread by the time they got their second CT scan or whatever. Am I doing the right thing by waiting? What are the chances that an 8mm nodule would grow at a damaging rate in 3 months?

Yes, I know it is small, but I got the CT scan for other reasons, and all cancer has to start somewhere.

I try not to think about it but for the most part I still cannot believe they actually found something.

Thanks,
Monica

Old 06-19-2005, 12:11 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Monica- You have every right not to wait until August if you don't want to. I think you would feel better if you had another CT sooner. Call your doctor and ask for it and then you won't have to wonder about this. I'd probably feel the same way you do about this.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #29
(male)

thezsone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by signingbaby
Hi everyone! What a sad reason to join a new board.

Yesterday I had a chest x-ray and a CT scan of my chest and abdomen because I have been experiencing swelling above my collar bones and the doctor wanted to rule out lymphoma and Cushing's Disease.

The x-ray was clear - however, the office called earlier today to say that the CT scan revealed that there was a 8 mm "nodule" in the "medial aspect of right middle lobe" of my lungs.

They said that in 3 months I will have a repeat scan. I thought, ok, fine, I am great, this is good! Then I typed in "lung nodule" on ***** search and everything that came up had to do with cancer.

The more research I have done the more scared I feel. I see things about a "5-year survival rate" ... as well as other reasons for a solitary lung nodule which are non-cancerous.

I was a moderate smoker for 4 years (age 16 to 20) then on and off for the remaining 11 years (I am 31 now) .. more off than on, more socially than daily. My father smoked while I was young.

I am unhappy! I went in for one reason and came out with another.

Monica

Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #30
(male)

thezsone HB User
Cool Re: Nodule in Lung

Dear singingbaby,
Try not to become afraid. As best I know 'nodules' are small growths
these growths are always referred to as cancer. The important thing is
that some nodules are malignant which is bad, and some are not,
which is good. Anyway since I myself have survived lung cancer that
was so involved I lost my whole right lung, I think that malignant or not
this nodule may be removed or treated in some other fashion.
However this small nodule should be diagnosed as soon as
is possible, and treated. There is nothing wrong in getting a second
opinion, as soon as possible.
Thezsone

Last edited by thezsone; 06-20-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Closed Thread