It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

J.Rogers HB User
leg question

I have what sounds like maybe a dumb question here and it may not be related at all to the lung cancer/surgery. Ever since my husband had his lobectomy on March 31st, he has what some may call restless legs at night when he goes to bed. He says it is not a painful feeling but he cannot get his legs comfortable in any position. They do not bother him at all through the day while he is up moving around just when he goes to bed. If he takes a pain pill or sleep aid to put him to sleep then he is not bothered with this. Has anyone else experienced anything at all similar to this? Any replies from anyone that knows would be greatly appreciated...Thanks J. Rogers

Old 06-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
(male)

sportzjunkee25 HB User
Re: leg question

most of these questions in here have to do with Lung Cancer Rogers....maybe someone will have an answer but im not sure in here..... I hope your husband will be alright

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

No question is ever a dumb one. Your husband's leg pain may or may not be related to his surgery. Since he had a lobectomy, your husband's lung function capability is more limited than before and his body is adjusting to this. I'm wondering if your husband is within a normal weight range or if he is overweight? If he is overweight, this could be a factor. If he smokes (please tell me that he doesn't!), this would definitely be a cause. It isn't good that he has to take pain medicine or a sleeping pill in order to gain relief - these can be addicting and it just isn't healthy to be taking them regularly for extended periods of time. Sometimes, leg pain like this can be helped by going for evening walks or some other form of exercise involving the legs. Did he ever try to elevate them at night (in bed)? A heating pad or a good leg massage may work also. Because your husband isn't that far our post op, he really should tell his doctor about this very soon and get a referral to a vascular surgeon who can listen to the pulses in his legs, ankles and feet to rule out any claudication or other problems.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Inactive

korusgirl HB User

Hi J,
Yes I have had it, and when I did have iet it was after a hysterectomy ten years ago. It lasted for many months. Then disappeared. I used to raise my legs and that helped. It is called restless leg syndrome.
Since then, I have read, somewhere or heard, that it is a calcium? or potassium? deficiency. I believe it is calcium if my mind isnt failing me right now.
But I wholeheartedly agree with Smithn. Firstly, and without hesitation, call the doc explain the circumstances and get an appointment. His vascular system should be checked out.
Joyce in Upstate NY

Old 06-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

J.Rogers HB User

Hi all...we saw my husbands surgeon yesterday and we talked to him about the restless legs and he seemed to think it was nothing to be concerned with. He told him he has had cases where people go thru this after surgery. His advice was to take a tylenol pm for awhile at night and see if it clears up on its own after awhile. My husband is not overweight nor undeweight. Everyone keeps telling him how good he looks since his surgery. The doctor did tell him yesterday the lung had shifted alittle since surgery and the area had filled with fluid which for now was no problem. they will do a prepeat xray in 3 months and then a catscan. Who knows??????? They all say something different.

Closed Thread