It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
(female)

blafave HB User
natural cures

my husband is going for a biopsy on his lung - he had a cat scan and the dr. has indiated that they are sure it will be cancer of the lung. They have also indicated that this can not be removed surgically because it is over the extensions of the windpipes.

What I want to know is has any one ever been cured by the natural herbs or any other natural cures that has been indicated by the book natural cures that drs dont want you to know about. Also was the natural cures used during treatments of chemotherapy or radiation - also before the biopsy was done to determine kind of cancer or stage of cancer was in.

We live in Wausau, Wi. would there be a special Dr. listed close by to obtain additional information on natural cures for cancer

Last edited by blafave; 06-06-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
(male)

radiobill HB User
Re: natural cures

This is just my personal opinion, for what it's worth.

Be careful with anyone who can promise you a cure. Getting any kind of medical bad news makes you a prime target for scam artists. While I don't have the greatest regard for doctors at this point of my life, I do believe that they are best equipped to deal with the physical realities of disease. If herbs, flowers, etc. actually cured cancer or were even really effective treatments, I think that everyone with cancer would have access to them. It would be hard to keep them secret.

That being said, I'm sure there are natural remedies that might be able to improve quality of life. It's like the Jewish momma says about chicken soup -- "It couldn't hurt!"

But never -- NEVER -- take something that your doctor doesn't know about when you're being treated for something serious like this.

Just my two cents...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

blafave HB User

Radiobill

Thank you for your input. We are just in the very begining stages and my mom is a strong beleiver in the natural remidies at this point. Because the doctor told her there is not an option for surgical removal, she is hopeful there is something out there which may help more than the chemo or radiation. At this point, we have not even confirmed the cancer, that will come by next Tuesday. Three out of three drs have said they would be very surprised if it comes back negative for cancer. Mom is concerned as we all are. My father was a heavy smoker from the time he was a youngster to a couple years ago. He has quit smoking for the most part, and maybe has one cigarette a week. (what is the sense of that??)
Once we find out first of all if it is cancer, the type of cancer, and the stage they feel it is in, I will forward that info along with other questions.

Again, I am grateful for your time and knowledge.
Lauri

Old 06-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Inactive

korusgirl HB User

Hello,
I am sorry for your problem and anxiety I know you must be having right now and I will offer what little I know of homeopathic treatment, which is
My friends husband was dx. with non hodgkins lymphoma stage 3 almost 5 years ago. He has taken many homeopathic medicines but the one he swears is working is essiac tea. He also takes shark cartilege. They originally saw a homeopathic therapist to sort it all out. Her has been fine all these years and still has not needed treatment of any kind. As a natter if fact, additional nodes in his body (not the prime node) had completely disappeared and the prime node has gotten very very small. The doc says, keep on doing what you're doing, its working!
Best of luck,
Joyce in Upstate NY

Old 06-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
(male)

sportzjunkee25 HB User

When my mom was diagnosed...we looked into all those natural cures also....it seemed as if all they wanted was money....please be very very careful.....If the natural cures worked as well as these people say..then our Doctors would be using them more.....i searched and searched and everytime i found something i liked i went over it with my mom's doctor....and for every 1 success story the natural cures had there were 500,00 that did not work...some may be really trying to help but i think the majority of these are a way to take advantage of people in desperate situations. Good luck to you and your family

Old 06-08-2005, 05:56 AM   #6
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I have read many testimonies from cancer patients who were cured using a Macrobiotic Diet. There's a non profit institute located in Western Massachusetts (Berkshires) that specializes in this diet. I'm not certain that I'm allowed to mention the name. One of the testimonies is from a nurse who had lung cancer that spread throughout her body. Amazing story. Do a search using the word Macrobotic. Also do a search: Natural approach to cancer. I agree that you must be careful of scam artist. There's also a book out there about beating cancer with nutrition. Again, do a search. The book costs about $20. When doing research in this area you will constantly be told to AVOID SUGAR including natural such as fruit and fruit juice. This is the key, absolutely No Sugar. If I had cancer I would not depend entirely on conventional therapies especially with advanced cancer.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
(female)

blafave HB User

Thank you once again for all of the help and input on the natural remedies/cures/etc. This is what we know today. I just spoke to my mom, and the drs have taken the biopsy of the mass and have confirmed cancer. They said endo cancer, which from what I understand means the more aggressive cancer. We will find out the name of the cancer sometime next week. They have also found that it is on, or going toward the wall of the heart. It is not a good place for this cancer to be, and the dr has repeatedly said he did not like the location of it. (I am sure where ever it lays in anyones body, we do not like the location!) Last week, the cat scan did not show this mass on the heart. To me it sounds as if it is growing extremly quick. If within one week the cancer has reached the wall of the heart, what will it do in the two weeks we are waiting for dad to recover from the biopsy? I just can't agree with the wait. My dad is in good health and is a very strong 65 year old man. Is there anyone who has had chemo prior to the two week healing process after the biopsy was taken?

I will be sure to let my mom know of the tea and shark cartlidge is one thing my uncle did when he had the brain tumor. Again, thank you thank you thank you. I am going to see mom and dad now, and will be back tomorrow.

Lauri

Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
(female)

bluepru HB User

I can only attest to personal experience, so I'm not willing to be responsible for advice. My Dad was dx with stage IV nsclc in mid-March (mets in the bone, ribs and femur). He began chemo and radiation soon after. Weight loss was our main concern. He lost 20 pounds before diagnosis, and an additional 40 pounds since. We feared cachexia, which would indicate end-stage disease, and actually accounts for direct cause of death in nearly half the cases. A couple of weeks ago, his original oncologist decided to discontinue treatment, and to refer him to hospice, mostly because he continued to lose weight, and to grow weaker. My mom was horrified, and Dad wanted to continue to fight. She found another center that would treat him, and transported him there. In the meantime, we got busy researching the weight loss/weakness issue. He had been drinking high calorie supplement shakes, but had been able to eat little because of the chemo, and difficulty swallowing. We developed a protocol of supplements that are supposed to lessen the effects of cachexia, and to aid in protein synthesis, including L-glutamine, amino acid complex, ATP (adenosine triphosphate), and acidophilus. Bottom line--after the supplements, he's gained 8 pounds in one week, he's regained strength, and he's been eating a little more every day. I don't know if our plan is the cause, and it isn't designed to cure, of course, but to provide the strength to fight and prevent starvation---but it is the only thing we've done differently. The results are good so far, coincidence or not.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
(female)

PBobntissy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepru
I can only attest to personal experience, so I'm not willing to be responsible for advice. My Dad was dx with stage IV nsclc in mid-March (mets in the bone, ribs and femur). He began chemo and radiation soon after. Weight loss was our main concern. He lost 20 pounds before diagnosis, and an additional 40 pounds since. We feared cachexia, which would indicate end-stage disease, and actually accounts for direct cause of death in nearly half the cases. A couple of weeks ago, his original oncologist decided to discontinue treatment, and to refer him to hospice, mostly because he continued to lose weight, and to grow weaker. My mom was horrified, and Dad wanted to continue to fight. She found another center that would treat him, and transported him there. In the meantime, we got busy researching the weight loss/weakness issue. He had been drinking high calorie supplement shakes, but had been able to eat little because of the chemo, and difficulty swallowing. We developed a protocol of supplements that are supposed to lessen the effects of cachexia, and to aid in protein synthesis, including L-glutamine, amino acid complex, ATP (adenosine triphosphate), and acidophilus. Bottom line--after the supplements, he's gained 8 pounds in one week, he's regained strength, and he's been eating a little more every day. I don't know if our plan is the cause, and it isn't designed to cure, of course, but to provide the strength to fight and prevent starvation---but it is the only thing we've done differently. The results are good so far, coincidence or not.
my husband was diagnosed with nscl in dec. 2003 they gave him six months it had spread to his brain , by him eating seems to help him keep a little more strength than the doctors had figured the extra weght helps out during treatments so hes not loosing much needed weight my husband is normally 155 now hes inbetween 170 and 200 lbs. in between treatments he feels stronger and eats everything that he can swallow fruit and puddings and remeber exercises can be done anywhere on arms and legs its important too after my dad passed away in june 2003 with lung cancer i watched him loose alot of weight and just willow away to bones i decided to look at the stratergies and it seems to be working so far

Old 06-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
(female)

christ4320 HB User

My two cents . . .

My mother has been diagnosed w/ lung cancer (never smoked). For the past month, she has been drinking fresh carrot, apple, and orange juice. I'm sure this isn't a cure, but she has more energy to get through the day, she can sleep better, and her mental outlook has improved. She also takes multivitamins, exercises at least 30 minutes each day (swimming or walking) and tries to sleep at least 6-8 hours each night. When she is particularly agitated through anxiety or stress, she eats fresh grilled salmon twice a week and it seems to calm her mind and help her rest better.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #11

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

In your quest for a natural cure, please be very careful. I know EVERYONE hs said, people will take advantage of your fear, and they WILL! My husband died in September from small cell lung cancer, we purchaesed every natural cure ever marketed, and even teh ones with no marketing. Not only do these people take your money, but they make the roller coaster ride harder, with the ups and downs. I am not saying do not try natural remedies, because some do help when it comes to feeling better. But, depending on the type of cancer, do not put a whole lot of faith in them when it comes to a cure. I personally do not believe there is a natural cure for cancer. Let me re-phrase that... I personally do not believe that there is a natural cure that WE will know abut anytime soon...

Sorry, not trying to disappoint you, but just the opposite actually.

Renee

Old 01-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
(female)

desprt12 HB User

my sister has been recently diagnosed w/ stage 4 uterine cancer and when the doctors told us there was nothing they could do we went directly to the natural cures approach. we have only been using this 4 herb tea commonly known as essiac tea and we are not sure if it is going to help or not. all our searching and reading has convinced us in some way this will help her even live longer if not cure it. this is my opinion but just read all you can and make a decision based on the facts that are presented. we are using this tea. i hope this helps you. anything that has a good history like this tea has to have some basis to it and there will always be bias with something that isnt regulated like herbs. just research read and ask others their opinions. you are in my prayers.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #13
(female)

Karen44 HB User

I can only say thru my own experiences what has worked for my husband .
He's on a diet that consists of nothing but organic foods,no processed meats,veggies or poultry! Only whole grain breads,no white flour.
He also takes supplements four times a day that consists of,triple omega,triple mushroom complex,ultra-zyme and alpha lipoic acid.
He was dx with SCLC with mets to brain,he started taking these supplements,along with the diet six weeks ago,since then he has had a lot of energy and also increased his appetite.
He has went thru WBR and is undergoing second round chemo,as the tumor in his chest is once again active.
While these supplements are NOT a miracle cure they do seem to help him!
Please before starting with any diet or supplement regime,to ask the oncologist about interactions with any meds that your family member may be on!!
Again let me say that this is my own experience with supplements,and to consult your Dr before begining these or any other diet or supplement!!

God Bless
Karen

Closed Thread