It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

Karen44 HB User
Radiation burn to the esophogus

Now I am dealing with something different,my hubby has radiation burns to his esophogus,it's very diffcult for him to swallow,and he of course is not eating and losing weight like crazy!!
His Dr gave him a lidocaine cocktail to use before he eats but it doesn't help,my hubby as stubborn as he is tells me it's better but I know he lies!!
He gets very angry at me when I suggest to call the Dr and see if there's something else they could give him!!
I am at my wits end,he is making me crazy I hate to see him sick all the time !!
I have suggested high protein milk shakes but he says they taste yucky.
At least he is drinking ice water not a lot but I believe he's keeping hydrated Thank God!!
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this??
If so please write
God Bless

Old 08-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #2

ysone HB User
Re: Radiation burn to the esophogus

Since your husband can drink, then get a juicer and juice some fruits for him. Vegetables can also be juiced. Fruits and vegetables are also the best healing foods. Hope this helps. Best of luck. Y

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

vicky45 HB User

I am going through the same thing as your husband, only I have been on steriods and could stand to lose the weight I've put on in the last few weeks.

I know for me Frozen Smoothies are working great. The colder the drink the better. It freezes your throat all the way down because of the thickness.

I make mine with a protien mix either vanilla or berry and add frozen berries, milk & honey. Mix it in the blender and you can store it in the freezer in individual cups with lids then when his throat is feeling sore he can just grab one and un-thaw in the microwave a few seconds.

I hope this helps, Vicky

Old 08-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

Karen44 HB User
Wink Re: Radiation burn to the esophogus

Thank you so much I will have him try this hopefully he likes the taste ,he says since chemo everything tastes nasty!!
I already have bought high protein,high calorie powder mix and I will incorporate this into his smoothies!!

God Bless
Karen44

Old 08-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
(female)

vicky45 HB User

I just returned from the radiologist and asked how long this will hurt. I was told that the amount of time it took to develop the pain should be about the same amount of time for relief after the radiation stops.

So I am hopeful I will only have the sore throat a couple of weeks since my radiation was only 10 treatments.

Vicky

Old 08-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
(female)

Karen44 HB User

Well I am glad to hear that you won't suffer with a sore throat very long that's great
Gee wonder how long it will be for my hubby since he has had 30 plus radiation tx??

Old 09-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
(female)

nct HB User

Hi, Thought I might could help. My husband was diagnosed with nsclc (stage IIIB) with pharnyx cancer in January 2005. We began radiation with chemo February. The combination overwhelmed his system and we wound up in hospital with pneumonia. We then completed radiation therapy before beginning the chemo. He had a total of 39 daily radiation treatments. He too was burnt badly, losing signficant weight and resulting in no energy. The dietitian started him on "Scandi Shake". The drug store can order for you. It is has 500 calories per serving; comes in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla; tastes good; and can be mixed several ways. This helps with the weight portion. As far as pain we had three different drugs/supplements: Mabex (prescription only) which is a lidocaine mixture; Curafate which is a liquid that coats the esophagus and stomach; and Glutasolve which helps coat the throat and provides about 300 calories, if memory serves me correctly). The dietitian recommended the Glutasolve and it can be ordered by the drug store. The radiation was a horrible experience but it did eliminate one area and reduce the lesion in another affected lobe. He felt better in about 4 weeks with a significant difference in 8 to 10 weeks after radiation. It has been about 16 weeks now and he says about 80% of his taste buds are back. He still experiences the dry mouth. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need additional information. I will keep you in our prayers.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
(female)

Karen44 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply,the Dr. did prescribe a lidocaine cocktail for my hubby and it's helping somewhat,he can now eat soft foods!! He has been drinking Ensure Plus three times a day and starting to put weight back on slow but sure!!
When he see's his Dr I will ask him about the shake you mentioned,heck it has 150 extra calories than the Ensure,and even taste good !!!
My hubby says his taste is finally coming back,he glad things taste like they're suppose to!!
Again thanks for the reply.
Take care and be safe
Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible
God Bless

Karen44

Closed Thread