It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

annelizly HB User
smokers

I am curious as to how many here who have lung cancer were smokers? I am not casting aspersions. I am a smoker and am simply doing research for my own personal knowledge. thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 04:59 AM   #2

sheryl555 HB User
Re: smokers

Hi AnneLizly,

I fortunetly do not have lung cancer, and prayer I never will. But I can tell you from reading and family members in my life, almost ALL people with lung cancer either smoke or were around smokers.

In my family, my great grandmother, my grandfather, my grandmother, my aunt and now my precious sister all smoked and all died from the lung cancer and the direct results of smoking and/or second hand smoke. My sister, is still hanging in there she's young and has a lot of will to live.

I smoked for years, quitting 10 years ago. The few times I have had to have a lung x-ray, I go numb from fright. You hear of many former smokers that get lung cancer after quitting several years. I live an active healthy life style and just keep praying, and have faith that I will not be a statistic. I'm ashamed I ever smoked and so regret it. What a filty, gross habit to have. And yet the power of that little white cancer stick "convinces" you that you need it. If you are a smoker still, please quit.
Sheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Hi-
My husband who has Stage IV lung cancer never smoked a day in his life; however, his doctor said if he had he would have been dead years ago and keep in mind he is only 51. Sad to say my husband's cancer is genetic. His grandmother passed away of lung cancer when she was 52. My husband was only exposed to your "normal" second hand smoke and his parents did not smoke either so his exposure was very minimal. Hope this helps you in whatever you may be trying to figure out.
Kim

Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
(male)

RSW112463 HB User

My wiffe was diagnosed 2.5 years ago and she was a smoke ras was I. We quit the day that the surgeon gave us the Bad news. Another friend of my families never smoked a day in her life and was not around any smokers and she was diagnosed and treated surgically. Hope this helps. 1 To 1

Old 09-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

Hi, I am a non-smoker but have been exposed to heavy second-hand by way of my cigar-smoking great grandpa who raised me, and my heavy smoking parents -- so, by statistics I could be dx now or in the future. My hubby was a very heavy smoker for 32 yrs and although he quit 7 yrs ago (before we met), the damage was done and took its toll. He is a 3B stage nsclc patient. PLEASE.......anyone out there who reads this and smokes, quit if you can. No promises, but it cannot hurt.

Take care all and sorry I have not been on lately
Jan

Last edited by rockie; 09-14-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

My mom Stage IV NSCLC did not smoke but her parents did and my dad did for a number of years but quit about 15 years ago. My uncle that died of cancer in his 30's was a heavy smoker(he was my dad's sister's husband so not blood related to my mom so she does not have a family history of lung cancer). If you are a smoker cancer should not be your only worry as most smokers develop COPD ( chronic bronchitis/emphysema). COPD is a horrible diease that slowly robs you of your life.I have worked 23 years as a respiratory therapist and the majority of the patients I see have COPD and I will tell you that almost all of them have said " I wish I had never smoked that first cigarette". For the elderly ones I think, well back when you started it was not known that smoking was so bad for you and so I can feel sympathy for them as they got addicted and yes it is hard to quit .To the younger ones they were warned but decided to take the it won't happen to me path and that proved to be the wrong path. To me smoking is like playing with a loaded gun. If you read this and are a smoker, Please get the help you need to stop or one day it may be you that can not walk across a room without gasping for breath.My coworkers and other RRT's will not miss the business.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #7

skdgr81 HB User

Hey kimlos,

I saw that you said your dad's cancer is genetic. Please excuse me if i am misquoting but has your family tried that new cancer drug.. think it is terveca of something similar. It worked for a few advanced cases ( genetic ) unfortunately from what i have read.. doesn't work so well on cancer from smoking..

Just trying to help..

Sam

Old 10-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
(female)

OTabby HB User

Hello,
I quit smoking the night before my small cell cancer lung surgery.I was one of the lucky ones.
Take Care JL

Old 10-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

In response to Sam's reply-

It is my husband, not my dad who has cancer. Sad to say, but Tarceva(sp) is not offered to my husband since he has small cell lung cancer. They use that on nonsmall cell lung cancer. He just finished 4 rounds of chemo with Cisplatin and Etopside and he only got approximately a 30% reduction in his liver and about 50% in his lungs. They want to do the whole brain radiation; however, my husband is looking at quality at this point in time and some alternative medicine.
Thanks for the suggestion....
Kim

Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #10
(female)

sapphire25 HB User
Talking Re: smokers

I'm a smoker, but I really want to quit. I'm going out to buy the patches tomorrow. I want to be around for my children. It's going to be hard to quit, but I want to live, so I'm going to do it.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #11

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

My husband died at age 45, from small cell lung cancer. I do not know how true it is (everyting I have researched does prove it) but his Oncologist said it would be very rare to find a non smoker with small cell lung cancer, though non small cell is a type of cancer that is not necessarily contributed to smoking.

Renee

Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Renee,
My husband is 51 and has small cell lung cancer and never smoked. They believe his is genetic. I am sorry to hear of your loss. We are going thru a tough time right now and know what a tough time you must have gone through. Any advice or treatments that you can recommend?
Kim

Closed Thread