It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

sheller19 HB User
Lost Mom and Dad to Small Cell Lung Cancer within 11 months

My Mom was diagnosed with SCLC on September 13, 2004. She died 69 days later. My Dad was diagnosed with SCLC on July 1, 2005 and died recently on October 16, 2005. Mom did continue to smoke, though Dad quite 20 some years ago. It was an awful battle and so similiar with everything they did day by day and in the last stages. Mom was 62 and Dad was 64. We think there may be connection with radon as the house they lived in for 40 years was tested at a high 4+. Appreciate your feedback. It's been an awful year especially with the holidays. Mom never knew the connection we made with the radon, but Dad did. Devasted Daughter and Family

Last edited by sheller19; 01-16-2006 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Adding Age

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: Lost Mom and Dad to Small Cell Lung Cancer within 11 months

Sorry to hear of your terrible loss. I have read and heard about radon being asscociated with lung cancer. Infact, my husband was wanting our home tested for peace of mind. My husband was diagnosed with SCLC at the age of 51 and has never smoked. His grandmother died when she was 52 in Poland and they claim she died of liver cancer but we are told if you have liver cancer then the cancer started elsewhere in the body so they believe my husband's cancer is genetic...but you never know. How did your parents have their home tested? A kit you buy at Hardware store or professionally? Again, sorry you have gone thru so much and had a tough Holiday. You and your family will be added to my prayers,
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
(female)

sheller19 HB User

The question I too really wanted to ask in my first post is how ODD is it for a husband and wife to die of the same type of cancer? We only put the radon issue to the discussion point? No one seems to know for sure.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Yes, understand your concern and wondering how odd it is for a husband and wife to die of the same cancer, but I have actually had that happen to my sister-in-law. Her uncle died of pancreatic cancer and then about 2 years later her aunt was diagnosed with the same cancer. Their 2 daughters did a lot of research but don't understand how both of their parents died of the same cancer. So puzzling...
My father-in-law who NEVER ate any processed foods and never ate out and only cooked fresh food at home died of glioblastoma in the brain and also Melanoma. (I understand the melanoma is sun related) They had never seen a case like his where the melanoma had metasized to his brain over the glioblastoma. There had never been any cancer on his dad's side of the family so it was a complete shock and especially someone who ate so healthy his entire life. We just don't know what causes cancer and I pray everyday they will have a cure for all the terrible cancers destroying precious lives. Anyway...need to run...my son has homework and needs to read to me. Take care,
Kim

Closed Thread