It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

mavideniz HB User
lung cancer and leg pain

Hi All
My 60 years old father was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer last year. he received radiotherapy to the brain and also chemotherapy for about 4 months. Unfortunately the cancer came back within 2 months of finishing the chemo treatment. Now he has very bad leg pain and also due to his kidneys not draining, he has ligh levels of acidity and urea in his blood. He feels sick all the time and I think he lost about 5 kilos in the last 2 months.
Can anyone recommend anything on leg pain and loss of appetite? How about alternative or herbal therapies?Can you email me on [email]REMOVED[/email].? I feel so helpless...
God bless you all
Deniz

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-18-2006 at 01:07 PM. Reason: please honor your membership agreement

Old 02-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

tuckygal HB Usertuckygal HB User
Re: lung cancer and leg pain

Deniz, my heart goes out to your father, you and your family. I would keep asking his doctors for help for him. There are too many medications available for your father to have to suffer. You are all in my prayers daily. Love from Kentucky, Pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 02:30 AM   #3
(female)

mavideniz HB User

Thanks Tuckygal
I appreciate your kindness. He was given some painkillers and anti-depressants so far only. But his blood count is so low that I think it will not be possible to give him another round of chemotherapy...

Old 02-20-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
(female)

Dawa HB User

I'm sorry you have to go through this (as I am for everyone in these boards). I too am dealing with this with my mom (my posts are on here under Dawa). I dont know if this will help you but my mom was given a blood transfusion for her low blood counts and it did help. She takes magase (might be spelled wrong) for her appetite and she was given perkaset (also spelled wrong) for her leg pain. We are just starting to look at hospice centers with the anticipation of the pain getting worse because this last week and half it has increased quite a bit. I hope you get some answers on what will help because no one should have to suffer during this. Good luck to you and your in everyones prayers....Dawa

Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
(female)

mavideniz HB User

Thanks Dawa
I will look up in the internet. I have read your posts and must say I went through feelings of desperation, fear, anxiety, total helplessness and I still am... I pray for courage and strength for my Dad and all who care about him. I hope you and your Mum have the strength to deal with this as I know it is a terrible disease.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
(female)

girld HB User

My mother was diagnosed with sclc in June 2005. She has finished her radiation and chemo and the tumors in her lung and liver were gone as of 12/27/05. You mentioned that your dad had leg pain. Is that the cancer or some type of chemo side effect? My mom has been complaining of leg pain too. I am afraid the cancer is coming back already. Thanks for any feedback!

Old 02-22-2006, 03:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

Hi, I don't know if this helps any, but my Bud started having leg pain during his first round of chemo in May-June 2005. I worried endlessly that the cancer had spread to his bones, but the bone scan was clean. His oncologist said that chemo many times results in a condition known as neuropathy. This is where the nerve endings (mainly in the limbs) are hypersensitive and can either go numb with tingling or ache. Just last night he was laying in bed and his leg was giving him fits. That's why I am on this thread this morning, to see if your posts were talking about what he was going through.

I pray for everyone here, this is an awful desease and our loved ones don't deserve the terrible pain they suffer.

Take care all,
Jan

Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
(female)

mavideniz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girld
My mother was diagnosed with sclc in June 2005. She has finished her radiation and chemo and the tumors in her lung and liver were gone as of 12/27/05. You mentioned that your dad had leg pain. Is that the cancer or some type of chemo side effect? My mom has been complaining of leg pain too. I am afraid the cancer is coming back already. Thanks for any feedback!
hi again
the leg pain does not necessarily mean that the cancer has spread there. but this is a symptom that cancer patients get a lot, apparently. this can be caused by blood clots in the legs sometimes, triggered by chemo sometimes, and sometimes there are other reasons. the oncologist could not make any sense of why my Dad's legs were painful. he said if a growing tumor was pressing against the spine, he would get leg pain for example, but as my Dad was able to move his leg up and down the doctor said a tumour could not be the reason. like rockie says, it may be caused by hyper-sensitive nerves too, who knows? the problem is, this disease creates far too many complications and it is so almost inevitable for us to fear and interpret that these symptoms are caused because of the disease advancing. I found a book helpful on the matter. if not against the rules of the website I suggest you read it: it is called lung cancer and written by C. I. Henschke, P. McCarthy and S. Wernick. I am going to Turkey tomorrow to see him and I am dreading to see the oncologist. may God bless us all with courage and strength... love

Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

Have a safe journey to Turkey and I'll keep you and your dad in my daily prayers and thoughts. By sticking together, we are strong.

Take care,
Jan

Closed Thread