It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
(male)

DaveInVA HB UserDaveInVA HB User
Worried about lung mass

Hi,
I am Dave and I just found this board. I am very worried about a 4.5cm mass that was just found in my upper left lung (near esophagus) during a CT Scan. No appearant nodes involved. I was being scanned for possible prostate cancer (that was negative). I am 51, non smoker (never smoked), not much 2nd hand smoke except when I was a kid, no other known cancers, colonoscopy also negative. I have an appointment with a lung doc next week and was told he may do a biopsy. My GP said it may be benign but advised it was pretty large and should be checked out soon. I have no current symptoms but I have had broncitis once almost every year for the last few years. I know I will probably learn what it is in the next couple weeks but in the meantime I am worried sick. Any insight would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Dave

Old 02-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User
Re: Worried about lung mass

Hi Dave, welcome to this board and we hope we can be of help and support to you. You are doing exactly what you should be and having it checked out pronto. Your GP is right, it is rather large. THe waiting unfortunately is what drives everyone crazy. Please keep up posted on how your are doing and good luck and best wishes to you.

Jan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

shirlie HB User

I agree with rockie the waiting is the worst my prayers are with you, try not to worry my friend.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
(male)

Hi again and thanks for the good words, just want to give an update. The lung doc had a cancellation and was able to ge me in today for the first visit. She reviewed the ct scans and told me she feels its most likely cancer but of course the biopsy is needed to tell what type and if its benign or not. Its a fairly well defined circular 4.5 cm mass near the airways that split off in upper center of the lung. CT Scan shows no node involvement but the PET scan may show areas the CT scan didn't pick up. They took blood work and gave me a TB patch as they have to check for that before they can do the broncoscopy biopsy or lung function test. Those are both scheduled for tues and the PET scan is scheduled thursday.

Dave

Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear of your situation and yet another one could be fighting this terrible disease, but seems you are on top of it and getting things taken care of fast...which is the best thing you can do if it is infact cancer. I hear staying positive is the best thing you can do too. I personally don't have lung cancer, but my husband has SCLC and see how hard he is fighting. I hope and pray that yours is isolated and they can even operate when it is in one area. If you have read any of the postings...Tuckygal has beat the cancer and is such an inspiration to all of those battling this terrible disease. She just had clean scans and has given so many kind words to everyone on this positng board and that there is a chance even if you do have cancer.
You take care of yourself....
Kim

Old 03-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Hi Dave last may my husband who is also a nonsmoker had a X ray that showed a mass that was 10cm. In July he had surgery and the top lobe of his right lung was removed.He had no cancer in his lymph nodes and all margins were clean. He then followed up with Chemo just in case and so far so good. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Lorrie

Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
(female)

tuckygal HB Usertuckygal HB User

Dave, you have found an excellent, supportive spot here on the boards. I feel I have so many understanding friends here, moreso than in my day to day life. No one else can truly understand what you are going through unless it has happened to them or a loved one. My SCLC was spread to lymph nodes also and was treated aggressively with chemo and radiation. I hope and pray your mass turns out to be non-cancerous but if it should be let me just tell you that the treatment was not as frightening to me as the thoughts of the treatments were. I will add you and family to my prayers each day. Please keep in touch and God bless. Pat in northeastern Ky.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
(male)

Update

I just want to give another update. I had the broncoscopy and biopsy this morning and the doc said its a malignant cancer tumor but won't know which type until thursday or friday. She had a hard time getting a sample with the needle as it bled profusely when she puntured it so I may have to go back in again Friday for another biopsy if there isn't enough for the lab to work with. It was very scary choking on my own blood. The PET scan has been rescheduled for Tues next week. The doc said she feels its probably travelled so surgery may not be an option for me

Dave

Old 03-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

God keep you in the palm of His hand Dave. This is the best place a person can be. I sure hate that the mass was malignant. I had hoped differently. My hubby had a terrible time with his needle biopsy and it hurt like the devil. I hope you do not have to experience that again. Keep us posted and know we are all rooting for you, all over this cyber land of ours. Welcome to our little family...sigh.

Take care,
Jan

Old 03-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
(male)

garth46 HB User

hello .. I happened to find this site looking for information on Dana Reeves..it is heartbreaking to learn this I haven't previously known she was sick.....I recently learned about somethings ( this is my opinion ) I believe can make a difference for cancer patients ....even while / if taking chemo...if anyone is interested that is ... love and prayers for all may God bless all especiall Dana's family at this time .

Old 03-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
(female)

daddysgirl135 HB User

Dave, I am so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I will add you and your family to my prayer list.

Stand tall and fight. One thing that kept my father going as long as he did was his positive attitude. He fought hard and no matter what, in my eyes he won.

God bless you {{{HUGS}}}

Old 03-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
(female)

deeswi HB User

Dave:

God bless you and keep you in his light. I too was diagnosed with lung cancer in October of 2004. Adenocarcinoma Stagr IIIB. I have undergone surgery, extensive chemo and radiation. The treatments are a real challange of our faith but are required to conquer this ugly beast.

Keep fighting do everthing you can to make it through this catostrophic challange that life has laid at your feet.

Please let us know how you are doing

Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 AM   #13
(male)

Another Update

Another Update:
Just got a call from the lung doc saying the sample they got during biopsy wasn't enough for a lab to analyze. She doesn't want to try the biopsy again herself so now she is sending me to a different lung doc tomorrow who will set me up for another biopsy probably sometime next week, so now have to wait at least another week to find out what kind of cancer it is and go through another biopsy..

Dave

Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
(male)

Yet another update

I just got back from having a pulmonary function test and a visit with another lung doc. The test showed I have better than average pulmonary function given my age. The new doc thinks the tumor is a carciniod and he says 9 out of of 10 times these don't metastasize but I am still scheduled for a PET scan Tues to make sure. He said if it hasn't metastasized he thinks there is a good chance he can exise the tumor without total resection of the lung but he wont be sure until he actually sees it during the operation. It has very defined margins and is nearly perfectly round. These are not caused by smoking. The only concerns he has is the size of this tumor. The CT scan showed it at 4.5 cm but the biopsy showed it to be more like 6-7 cm the size of a baseball. Carciniod tumors generally don't get that big and the largest he has seen is about 3.2 cm so it looks like I may be the new record holder. Unless it turns out to be worse than he thinks or the PET scan shows something else I should be out of the hospital in a week or less. My surgery is scheduled for 3/23/06.

Dave

Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Good luck Dave. A nonsmoker I am, also, and have a mass on my lung which turned out to be benign after my PET scan. I still need CT scans to keep check on it. As much as I hate having surgery, I wish I could get this thing out of me so I don't have to think about it anymore.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery and thank goodness it was caught in time. You're very blessed.

Closed Thread