It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(male)

gynks HB User
how accurate are chest X-rays in determining lung cancer?

Just had one done and the doc said it looked fine. My problem is I have been having pains in my chest area going on 3 months now. Somedays are worse than others. It is usually associated with movement or sneezing or if i cough, does this sound like lung cancer induced chest pain?

Old 04-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
(male)

DaveInVA HB UserDaveInVA HB User
Re: how accurate are chest X-rays in determining lung cancer?

Regular chest xrays can miss the cancer, especially if its hidden behind bone or other structures. I also had chronic chest pain that had been attributed to stress but I had a CT scan for something totally unrelated and they found a baseball size mass that turned out to be cancer in my right lung. That doesn't mean its going to be the same in your case but you might want to talk to your doc about getting a CT scan if they find no other cause for your chest pain.

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
(male)

Grand Rapids HB User

Dave's right on. Chest x rays are not very reliable. You should ask the doc for a CT scan. That said, not all chest pain means lung cancer nor are all chest nodules or masses lung cancer. I have two nodules the docs at first thought were cancer, but it turns out they probably are not. (based on a PET scan and a positiveblood test for a fungal infection.

Point is, like Dave said, don't rely on an x ray. It's like trying to use a foggy magnifying glass to find the splinter in your hand. Sometimes you will and sometimes you won't.

Tom

Old 05-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
(male)

gynks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInVA
Regular chest xrays can miss the cancer, especially if its hidden behind bone or other structures. I also had chronic chest pain that had been attributed to stress but I had a CT scan for something totally unrelated and they found a baseball size mass that turned out to be cancer in my right lung. That doesn't mean its going to be the same in your case but you might want to talk to your doc about getting a CT scan if they find no other cause for your chest pain.

Dave
Was your chest pain constant or did it come and go? Did it hurt with movements or doing pushups or something like that? What did your pain feel like?

Old 05-04-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
(male)

The pain came and went but was chronic for years and the docs told me it was stress. They had me on many different pain meds and muscle relaxants etc but none helped much. One doc told me it was arthritis. Sometimes the pain would start or increase during certain movements and it did change if you pressed on the area. If felt like a deep muscle/skeletal pain. As the tumor was baseball size the pain was really being caused by it compressing and smashing the surrounding lung tissue into the chest wall. Some of the tissue was necrotic(sp?) and thats what was causing the chronic bronchitis I also had, which had been blamed on dust and mold/mildew from old houses I like to work on.

Dave

Old 05-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Rapids
Dave's right on. Chest x rays are not very reliable. You should ask the doc for a CT scan. That said, not all chest pain means lung cancer nor are all chest nodules or masses lung cancer. I have two nodules the docs at first thought were cancer, but it turns out they probably are not. (based on a PET scan and a positiveblood test for a fungal infection.

Point is, like Dave said, don't rely on an x ray. It's like trying to use a foggy magnifying glass to find the splinter in your hand. Sometimes you will and sometimes you won't.

Tom

I lived in AZ for 20 years and I developed valley fever also and sometimes was sick 3-4 months out of each year with allergy/cold symptoms that never got better with meds. The only real cure from valley fever is to move away. Some people get it much worse than others, A friend at work there got it so bad he would get fluid in his lungs and his doc told him to move or it might kill him. Since I moved to VA it went away.

Dave

The following user gives a hug of support to DaveInVA:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveInVA For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

mr_panicky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInVA
I lived in AZ for 20 years and I developed valley fever also and sometimes was sick 3-4 months out of each year with allergy/cold symptoms that never got better with meds. The only real cure from valley fever is to move away. Some people get it much worse than others, A friend at work there got it so bad he would get fluid in his lungs and his doc told him to move or it might kill him. Since I moved to VA it went away.

Dave
Did you get the baseball size tumor removed?

Do/did you smoke?

How are you now?

Last edited by mr_panicky; 05-04-2006 at 06:36 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mr_panicky:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_panicky For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 05-05-2006, 04:08 AM   #8
(male)

Grand Rapids HB User

Dave - Thanks for sharing your experience with Valley Fever. Do you think the Valley fever may have nade you susceptable to the lung cancer? And did you ever develop lung while you had VF?

I've been following your posts here for several weeks, and it sounds like you are fighting as well as any one can. I wish you all the best and hope you beat this hands down.

Tom

The following user gives a hug of support to Grand Rapids:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Grand Rapids For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_panicky
Did you get the baseball size tumor removed?

Do/did you smoke?

How are you now?
Yes I had surgery 3/23/06 and am still recovering from it. I have an upcoming CT scan to determine if they got it all.
I've been a life long non smoker and have avoided 2nd hand smoke. The type of cancer I have is Carcinoid which is not caused by smoking and only accounts for less than 2% of all lung cancers.
I am still very sore as they had to cut ribs and lots of nerves.

Dave

yingjie (01-24-2012)
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Rapids
Dave - Thanks for sharing your experience with Valley Fever. Do you think the Valley fever may have nade you susceptable to the lung cancer? And did you ever develop lung while you had VF?

I've been following your posts here for several weeks, and it sounds like you are fighting as well as any one can. I wish you all the best and hope you beat this hands down.

Tom
I haven't lived in AZ since 94 but the doc said my tumor was at least 7 years old but the VF probably had nothing to do with it. They do not yet know what triggers Carcinoid cancer except its not smoking and not genetic as it does not run in families.

Dave

yingjie (01-24-2012)
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread