It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

debbiebyh2o HB User
stories of survivors who made it past 5 years cancer free

Hi all
I would really love to hear from anyone, or anyone you know who is a cancer survivor for 5 years.....since this seems to b the magic number...It would be interesting to hear how you managed life through out the years...mental,physical,spiritual etc.....anything uplifting that can help...
Debbie

Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
(female)

Drum HB User
Re: stories of survivors who made it past 5 years cancer free

I am desperately hoping that you've not received any responses because all the survivors are out getting all they can from life!! I've know they do exist - there was one lady in Australia who took a hot air balloon flight across the desert to promote survival of lung cancer patients...
Good luck with your search

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
(female)

debbiebyh2o HB User

I am truly hoping so as well....sometimes it is nice to have an uplifting story.....I have talked to a few people and have heard some good news....my dentist's husband had cancer and is now clear 5 years.....
If anyone knows if there is anywhere else we can look for some stories....let me know...
I am really trying to build positives into my life right now.....as HOPE is what we all have right now....
Debbie

Old 06-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Debbie, There are happy endings of survival past 5 years for those with lung cancer caught early. I thiink I have said that I have met people that had it 25-30 yrs ago all had surgery and some had radiation and or chemo and some did not. Here is a story you can look up. Olympic figure skater Rena Inoue who iis now 29 had lung cancer 8 years ago (maybe 9 by now as I think I read it last year). She learned about it in 1998 just 18 months after her father died of lung cancer when they thought she had pneumonia. She had surgery then 6 months of chemo and has been cancer free since then and skating in the olympics so for people having a lobe of their lung removed they can go on to do things those of us that have all of our lung lobes can do and in her case more then alot of us can do!. There are others like her check out WALC which is an organization about women with lung cancer.

Everytime I meet one of the long term survivors I think wow they survived this long and the chemo drugs were not as good as some of them out there now or in some cases they did it without chemo so I now there is hope if you can have the cancer removed. Best wishes to you, JanMarie

Old 06-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

JanMarie,
Thanks for sharing...always so uplifting to hear some happy and postive news about cancer survivors!
Kim

Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Hi my mom is stage IV NSCLC with liver mets and is 2 yr survivor. My dad has always been after her about alternative treatment and she has tried a few things along with her chemo. My dad goes for a Pet scan today as he has a 2 cm nodule in his left upper lobe and he keeps saying if it is cancer he is leaving the country and getting alternative treatment. He is looking at ozone or hydrogen peroxide therapy so we shall see. There are alot of alternatives out there but one has to be careful as alot are just out to make money from desperate people. I think my dad is looking at the clinics down in TJ Mexico. Best of luck to you and your dad and please do share what ever you find out. JanMarie

Last edited by Janmarie2; 06-21-2006 at 03:37 PM.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

My dad can not deny that the chemo has gotten my mom this far thou I think alot of it is due to Tarceva which is a biological drug so not quite the same as chemo:However he also knows it will not save her life. Yes the oncologist came right out from day one and said chemo could by her some time but it will not cure her.

My dad has convinced himself that what he reads in all these alternative medicine news letters that they can cue cancer is true and that the only reason it is not happening is the fact that the FDA runs anyone in the alternative side out of the country if what they are saying is true. He feels that if you or I came up with a cure for cancer, say something simple like eating dandelion flowers and it did work and millions of people were cured that the drug companies would then loose billions of dollars. The drug companies control alot of things here in the states so the FDA and governament protects them. In other words it all boils down to money and I am sure there is some truth to that and the FDA pretends it is all about saftey but it may be really protecting huge business. It gives one alot to think about.

My dad also feels that most drugs are not good for people and I must say I agree to some extent as it seems you take one drug then you soon need a second one to fix side effects of that first one and pretty soon yet another drug for side effects caused by that 2nd drug and so on.

What I myself find quite interesting is the time my mom brought up an alternative therapy with her oncologist and he said well it could have side effects or kill you....humm I thought you mean it is just like chemo!

I myself lean towards the less is best view about medicine and lean more towards nutrition and alternative treatment mainly because of what I have seen with dogs. Starting with the fact that yearly vaccines of dogs and cats may be a reason so many of them die of cancer as we have messed with their immune systems. My parents have a dog with lupus who has been under a vets care for a couple years yet the lupus has not really improved then when I talked my mom into trying a couple other things along with the vets drugs the dog has shown signs of improvement.

If I had cancer which way would I go? I am not sure as while I feel the way I do I also have alot of belief in the way treatment is trending with drugs like Tarceva and Avastin. I think the biological drugs will be the future cure or if not a cure at least control cancer. I think I would be open to low dose chemo/ radiation along with nutrition and alternatives . It just seems they way most but not all places do chemo causes too much damage, I read it is like throwing a bomb in a house then going back in to salvage what you can, while if it was given more frequently in lower doses it may not cause so much damage to healthy cells.

I have read the papers on Ozone therapy which my dad feels is the way he would go and alot of it makes sense and there are alot of people that seem to believe in it so No I would not stop my dad if what he has turns out to be cancer and he opts to go to Mexico for such treatment. The most important thing is that is what he believes in and wants to try as since I do not have to suffer any side effects but he does I feel the choice is his to make not mine. I know at his age the chances of surviving a lobectomy go way down and I have seen too many people attempt big surgeries at his age only to linger at the hospital for weeks or months and never make it back home again. I am not sure there is a right or wrong choice but feel it should be the your choice. Anyway I hope that answers your questions. I do sometimes wonder if all the alternative treatments are curing all the people they claim to why do we not find these people on these message boards as I would be out there shouting to the world. ( see I actually am able to see both sides of the question of alternative therapy). JanMarie

Old 06-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Hi-
My dad did LOTS of research on Cessium and so have my husband and myself...and it is very deadly and must be monitored since your PH levels are what are altered to an extreme. I called and spoke to a place in Canada; however, they stated that since my husband's cancer was so extensive that they woudl never even consider the treatment for him since he has so many mets to his brain. They say the swelling can get out of control...we were lucky...he was very honest with me. They use to have a clinic in Vegas, but that was shut down years ago. We also spoke to a couple of homeopathic doctors and they were not interested in helping my husband with the Cessium.
We also tried a clinic in Houston, but it is not MD Anderson...another Clinic; however, once again because of the severity of my husband's cancer he was doing their treatment, but then stopped since he got so sick on chemo and could not tolerate both treatments.(plus he was hospitalized with blood clots) Also, at the alternative place in Houston they said he was so severe that he has to have whole brain radiation and my husband refuses to since he is convinced he will not be the same...it kills good and bad cells. They would have to do the whole brain and now his doctor here in Newport Beach at this point is still amazed with all the mets to the brain my husband has he has been okay for over 1 year!
My husband was a a person who said he would NEVER do chemo...and look where he is now.
HHHmm, every 21 days sounds like Etopside and Cistplatin treatment. If infact your dad is going thru that treatment then his taste buds will be messed up and taste like metal. He had me going to the store everyday trying to find something he could drink and one day he could and then the next day the taste buds would change again! Do you know what type of cancer your dad has? SCLC or is it NSLC? My husband has SCLC and even told me today that he feels like he is dying...so heartbreaking....he is fighting so hard.
Anyway, hope the info I have shared with you helps...
Kim

Old 06-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I also would love to hear about LC survivors. I know of at least a few over 5 year survivors and it helps to read those posts to my husband who was diag with nsclc last year and had the surgery and that was followed by Chemo just in case. His last two scans have shown NED and that is great but I need to know the long term as well. I never read any posts to my husband with anything negative because I feel he needs only positive stories. What inspiration.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-29-2006 at 09:43 AM. Reason: members may not post anything about other message boards/forums/chats

Closed Thread