It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

Ayre HB User
New here

Hello,

Just looking for a place where I can get some info/support. My dad was diagnosed with NSCLC about a month ago. It's inoperable and he's going to be starting chemo and radiation soon. I don't know how to feel...I don't know what to think or say most of the time either. How do you cope?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

mabegb HB User
Re: New here

ayre~this is such a confusing and very scary time for you and your family. being supportive of your dad right now with his care and decisions is very helpful. when i was first diagnosed i wanted lots and lots of information. many people gave me books. which was great it helps to put things in perspective.
if your father is religous man praying with him and for him might help. it helps our family. these forums are a great place for information and full of caring people who do understand what you are going through. i will keep your father and your family in my prayers i hope you find the information you are looking for and also some peace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

In the beginning it is hard to cope as your emotions jump all over the place . You will find yourself on an emotional roller coaster.Expect lots of breakdowns when you least expect them. After awhile you find your own way to cope and the roller coaster slows for awhile.It can be a difficult ride as it is very hard to see a parent ( or other loved one) in pain as most of us have spent our life time seeing our parents as the strong one that we turn to when things a rough.

Spend lots of time with your Dad and let him know how much you love him.Feel free to ask any questions here as there are no stupid questions and many of us here have been dealing lung cancer for quite awhile and are on 4th ot 5th line chemo. Everyone handles chemo and even cancer differently but it does help to hear what others have experienced as doctors tend to not tell you a whole lot.

I will add your dad to my sadly ever growing list of prayers. JanMarie

Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Ayre,
Sorry to hear of your dad's diagnosis. I know it is very overwhelming and amazing how many people are battling this terrible disease. Just be there for your dad and spend as much time with him as you can. My husband has SCLC and has been fighting hard for the last 16 months. We don't dwell on his illness, but cherish and the enjoy the time we have even though we know life is not fair. Is there something your dad enjoys reading or any special music he likes to listen to? I read to my husband and we listen to music he enjoys and it always brings back memories or we end up making new memories. Anyway, not sure if that helps you any, but hope you can find some comfort in this posting board.
Kim

Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
(female)

lesley123 HB User

Hello Ayre
I too am fairly new to this. My Ma (age 64) was diaognosed with non operable NSCLC on 10th August, so I guess I'm about a month ahead of you.
She was bouncing around healthy as anything before that.
I can honestly say I barely 'coped' in those first few weeks, as she was so ill and had to have lung/heart ops because of infusions (fluid from tumour) and then we had the blood clots...and I thought she was going to die before she even got to try chemo.
I used to wake up in the morning howling, and was frantically reading up on lung cancer each night. I could barely function and was going around in a daze. To begin with I kept crying in front of my Ma, which was no good.
When we thought she was about to die I got perscribed some beta blockers from the doctor and some valium for absolute emergencies. I just wanted them at home 'in case' I needed as I wanted to be together for her.
I've barely touched them.
I know these past couple of months I've lost alot of sleep, nursed too many gin and tonics and not been eating properly. I wouldn't even go for my usual swim as it meant being away from the telephone for 20minutes! nor visit friends with my young daughter if it meant being too far away.
When I finally calmed down a bit, went for that swim and maybe had a relaxing bath or something - it helped alot!!
Take Care and Try Look after yourself (easy to say I know) - My Mums about to have her 2nd chemo session and so far it's making a really big difference and not making her ill. Let us know how your Dad gets on.
Lesley

Old 10-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

Teresa B HB User

Ayre
My Dad like yours has also been diagnosed with inoperable NSCLC and I don't know how you cope. But you do; you have to be strong to be there for the parent and stay positive and encourage them to do the same. I'm very lucky in that my Dad is keeping very well despite just completing 2 weeks of Radiotherapy and who knows what else is to follow. He's keeping focused on living well and staying positive and I don't want to think about him not being around. You keep well too, stay strong and take each day as it comes.
Thinking of you and your Dad
Teresa

Closed Thread