It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
(female)

Alexandra87 HB User
coughing

could it go on for over a year on & off with no other symptoms and be LC? would anything show up on a blood test or from a psychical exam?

Old 10-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User
Re: coughing

It could, as my hubby went on coughing for months with no logical reason. They should at least do an xray or a CT. I would recommend the later as xrays are not too reliable. Blood tests do not confirm LC as far as I can tell, and a physical exam only can lead to various diagnosis....since LC symptoms can mimic other illnesses....

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Take care,
Jan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
(female)

Alexandra87 HB User

my mom has been coughing on and off since last summer.. maybe even before that but this is as a far as it stands out in my mind.. i think she stopped for a while & then it started up again.. she had a psychical exam and blood test about 2-3 weeks ago.. i'm really nervous.. sometimes at night when she's laying down i hear her clearing her throat a lot.. she also has very bad sinus problems all of her life.. could this be post nasal drip? i wish she got some better testing to check everything out but i know she won't push to get that done and there's nothing i can do.. i asked her about the cough she said she doesn't feel it coming from her lungs or anything like that it's more of a tickle/something in her throat or something dripping.. sometimes i wonder if she lies to me just to make me feel better about the situation..

Last edited by Alexandra87; 10-14-2006 at 09:04 PM.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

If your mom has sinus problems the cough could very well be from that especially if she is doing alot of coughing when she lays down. The mucus drains down the back of the throat and irritates it. Post nasal drip can be a trigger for people with asthma too as it is that irritating. Years ago I had alot of these issues with post nasal drip then I asked my doctor for a nasal steroid inhaler and it helped to the point where I no longer had any problems and weaned myself off of it after two years and due to the fact I now eat a diet that is very anti inflammatory I have had no problems for the past 4 years!

Coughing can be the sign of alot of things, yes lung cancer is one, lymphoma is another as my friend that had Hodgkins lymphoma went to the doctor because of a cough, he gave her antibiotics. I told her I would not take antibiotics unless he showed me an x-ray that showed a pneumonia since that was what he was thinking she may have, she went back demanded an x-ray and there was a huge mass wrapped around her heart, turned out to be hodgkins lymphoma she did her chemo and radiation and has been cancer free for over 1.5 yrs now .

Other reasons for coughs are allergies, COPD,some medications, other masses in the lung be they TB or cocci or any other of the fungus problems. It could be something as simple as something in the air that causes an inflammation in her airways or it could even be heart related. Cough is the symptom of so many things.

The throat clearing thing would make me think it is sinus related or something in the upper airway or pharynx causing the problem. Back when I had problems I had caught a virus that inflammed the uvula ( the thing the hangs down in the back of our throats) and it made it swell so it was longer and touching the part below it and it made me cough like crazy and clear my throat all the time as it felt like a huge glob of mucus sitting there.

Maybe your mom is afraid but if that it why she does not push harder to find the cause she needs to understand that even the worst of these problems can often be cured when caught early so ignoring the cough could cost her her life if it was some form of cancer and on the flip side if it is one of the lesser evils such as I had, within days it could be gone with treatment and life is SO much nicer without an annoying cough and post sinus drip! Hope this helps. Good luck, JanMarie

Old 10-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

My husband had a cough that tickled in his throat and he was diagnosed with SCLC, BUT please don't panic....as Jan and JanMarie mentioned it could be something else, you just don't know! And no...no blood test that I am aware that will detect lung cancer. (sure wish it was as easy as that!) Your mom does sound like she has severe allergies, but best to have it checked out. The one thing we noticed with my husband's cough is that he never coughed when he layed down to sleep so it never kept him up, whew! His cough just seemed to nag at him during the day when he was sitting or standing, but rarely laying. (but each person is different)
I hope your mom gets some answers and hope it is as simple as allergies. I have allergies and get more of the mucus build up that JanMarie is speaking of so it would be good for your mom to explain all of this to the doctor. Has she lost any weight? Is she more fatigued in the last year? Those are other things to look for as my husband had lost about 10lbs and he appeared to be more fatigued. Good luck getting some answers.
Kim

Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
(female)

Alexandra87 HB User

all of this makes me feel sick to my stomach.. & i'm in my first semester of college & i'm trying so hard to concentrate.. not only is the work hard but now i am extremely stressed out about my mom.. i tell her every single day why do you keep coughing? shouldn't you get that checked out, it's not normal.. she gets angry with me and just doesn't want to hear it.. at first she wouldn't go to the doctor AT ALL and then she finally went 2-3 weeks ago so she thinks there is nothing wrong with her and she doesn't have to go again for a while.. she claims she told the doc about her cough and that the doc looked up her nose/ down her throat etc and said it was post nasal drip.. but as i was not in the doctors office with her so god only knows if the cough was even mentioned or checked out.. she hasn't lost any weight.. if anything, she has gained some.. her appetite still seems to be normal and i don't see any other symptoms going on right now.. i think she has appointments for other things like a stress test and to have her heart checked out.. something else about a bone density test? & a mammogram which is not scheduled till january i think.. all of those things still will not check out her lungs.. i guess there's nothing else i can do but wait and see what this all leads to..

Old 10-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Try not to work yourself into a mess as it could easily be post nasal drip since she does have allergies. I would think it is a good sign too that she has not lost weight. Try to relax and bit and sounds like she is going to the doctor which is a good thiing.
Hang in there.
Kim

Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

I can attest <<waives hand in the air>> that allergies will cause one to clear their throat, cough, and sometimes spit up mucus. BUT, if allergy medicine, cough remedies, and general diet (lots of fluids, etc etc) tricks don't do the trick, then then next step is to explore for other reasons. Sometimes it's a fungal infection. If you live in a predominantly damp area of our country, this could be a real problem. Good luck and please keep us posted, as we are willing to lend an ear, a shoulder, a keyboard....

Take care,
Jan

Last edited by rockie; 10-16-2006 at 07:44 PM.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

Alexandra87 HB User

so mom went to a cardiologist and got an echocardiogram, everything is fine as far as that goes. her regular doctor said she has a heart murmur but this isn't new information, my mom has had this for 20-30 years. she also found out she has high blood pressure which she is now taking medication daily for. like i said in previous posts, she also had a psychical exam and blood test a few weeks ago.. but, she's still coughing i know none of these tests can really check out her lungs which keeps me worried.. wish i could stop walking around with a knot in my stomach 24/7.. from the time she went to her regular doctor and was weighed to when she went to the cardiologist and was weighed again, she lost 4 pounds.. but she also started a diet within the last month and goes to a gym for women called Curves weekly.. hopefully that is the reason for her weight loss

Last edited by Alexandra87; 10-19-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
(female)

Alexandra87 HB User

and also thanks to all of u who have read my posts and responded.. it's greatly appreciated

god bless

Closed Thread