It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
(male)

confused82 HB User
Possibility of Lung Cancer?

Im 19 years old.. been a mild smoker for about 4 or 5 years.. I currently have a cough that has lasted a few weeks.. its like a cough where i feel like i need to clear my throat.. I have a upper back pain as well.. Ive quit smoking for about 7 days and its for good this time.. What are my chances of having lung cancer at this age?

Old 10-21-2006, 03:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User
Re: Possibility of Lung Cancer?

Hi Confused, the chances of you having lung cancer at 19 are very very slim. You could however have problems with allergies, and possibly some type of respiratory infection that needs attention. Make an appointment with your family physician and if you don't have one, there are minor emergency centers (at least that's what we call them here in Indiana) that can take a look at you. They will probably run a few tests and that would alleviate your worries.....Please don't think the worst, just take one step at a time and try to remain calm and positive. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Jan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #3
(male)

confused82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockie
Hi Confused, the chances of you having lung cancer at 19 are very very slim. You could however have problems with allergies, and possibly some type of respiratory infection that needs attention. Make an appointment with your family physician and if you don't have one, there are minor emergency centers (at least that's what we call them here in Indiana) that can take a look at you. They will probably run a few tests and that would alleviate your worries.....Please don't think the worst, just take one step at a time and try to remain calm and positive. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Jan
Jan, thank you so much for the reply.. I had a visit to the doctor's office about 3 weeks ago.. she ran some blood tests and urine tests on me.. but they havent called back.. maybe nothign was wrong? the other thing i was worried about was having diabetes.. i suspected this because my mother has diabetes.. and my brother had started to show signs of it.. A week ago.. i had shortness of breath.. which bothered me enough to just stop smoking cold turkey.. its been about 8 days now since i've smoked.. and the shortness of breath has calmed down.. This worried me about lung cancer.. i always think of the worst..

Old 10-21-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

I understand. Stopping smoking is probably the greatest gift you can give yourself. If the doctor's office did not call back, usually means there was nothing to concern them. But there is nothing stopping you from calling them and asking to hear your results. Also, speaking for myself, when I get too worried about things, I sometimes get a "panic" attack which makes the adrenaline surge. It's a fight or flight feeling that absolutely causes havoc with my breathing and heart rate. Maybe you can suggest for your doctor to look at some other tests for you.

Best wishes...

Jan

Old 10-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
(male)

confused82 HB User

So im guessing i should eliminate lung cancer for my age? Ive only smoked for about 4 years.. on and off.. but its just the back pain and the cough im worried about relating to lung cancer.. the cough is the type where i feel like i need to clear my throat..

Closed Thread