It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
(male)

Tmone75 HB User
Mom is gone

Mom passed in the Hospital 8 months after she was told she had stage 4 SSLC. She didnt respond to the first round of chemo, so she stopped taking it. (and has such bad side effects, she didnt take any more)

I encurage everyone to get your loved ones educated on chemo And if it does not work, try another one.. dont quit fighting. I feel that if she had taken the whole first round, then tried a 2nd, my Mother would still be here today.

Since she decided to not take treatment, this very aggressive cancer spread faster than wildfire. I would hate to know that someone else would have to go through what my family did.

Do everything you can.. get 2nd 3rd and 4th opinions... because once they are gone, they are gone.

in her final days, her husband had Power of Attorney... and during these days, her morphine which was at 2cc's per hr eventually went to 24cc's... The Dr's were telling us that they turned up the morphine due to her breathing patterns... But I know it had something todo with my Stepdad giving the OK to basically poison her Liver with so much morphine that her body finally gave up..... She died from too much morphine, not the cancer.

Another side to me says she is in no more pain, and for all I know, this is what she wanted. to go peacefully. But, the fact that she died from too much morphine is hard for me to take. I was just talking to her 4 days before her passing.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent,

T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: Mom is gone

Hi-
Sorry to hear of your mom's tough battle with cancer and now coping with the void in your life. Thanks for the encouraging words for others to fight. My husband along with so many on this posting board are doing just that. My husband has SCLC which is very, very extensive and by a miracle of God is still with us today, by a hair, but with us. He has had some beautiful days and made new memories with our boys. (they are still quite young, 17 and 10) He is now on his 4th line and not sure how much more he can take. He has been fighting this since June 05 and even has 50 small mets in his brain! He is starting to wear out and I can understand and it is heartbreaking. I lost my dad in Feb of this year too, so it was one blow after the next, but you know I thank God for keeping me healthy to care for our children and Stan. I hope you can find some positives in your life, yet keep beautiful memories of your mom in your heart and share with your family and friends.
Again, sorry to hear about your mom and don't know much about the dosage levels of morphine that your mom was getting, but have heard it sorta shuts down your body. (don't know how it all works, I do know JanMarie on this posting board is knowledgeable in the medical field) You take care of yourself and come vent anytime!!!
Kim

Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

hpybtms HB User

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My grandmother died in 98 from SCLC and she decided not to do any treatment. It is the toughest thing to watch someone go through. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Remember to appreciate, validate and tell your loved ones you love them before it's too late

In memory of Pops! Aug 7, 1948 to Aug 26, 2007 SCLC

Old 10-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

graciesdaughter HB User

Hi,
I lost my mother 8 months ago also. I am sorry for your loss and the whole in your heart. I know that you didn't say that you have one I just know that you do. My mom also had SSLC but, she did try 3 kinds of chemo, for which in the made no matter. She only lived 11 months after being diagnosed. She tried the new Chemo for us kids. She was always so sick and that was to much for me: knowing she was so sick that there were days that she couldn't get out of bed because of the being sick. The thing with Small Cell is that it travels so fast and if tried to be removed it spreads. And it spreads every where. Just 3 months before my mom was diagnosed she had a complete check up that showed nothing.

I will keep you in my preayers

Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
(female)

ladyj2 HB User

I want you to know how sorry I am for your loss. My mom died from sclc as well. I don't know if this will make you feel any better because everyone is different but my mom was in alot of pain before she died. Her heart was so strong that she just hung on although she was bedridden. Even on the morphine when hospice would come to turn her she would scream from the pain, the bedsores were so huge....I wish she had had a little extra boost from the morphine. If I get this disease I will want to store a little extra in case I need an extra boost....I saw the pain and don't want to be like that. Like I said, everyone is diffferent...my aunt also died from it but did not seem to experience such pain. Again, I am sorry for your loss. Hugs

Old 10-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #6
(female)

monique manna HB User

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. My Mother also died from this in March of this year. She was diagnosed in October of 2005 - She did three rounds of Chemo then one night she passed out and they did a cat scan and found a tumor in her brain - 2 weeks later we lost her. I miss her dearly, but what comforts me most is knowing how she accepted the news from the doctor when she was told about the tumor in her brain and how she told us she would be okay because she had God with her at her side.
Monique

Closed Thread