It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
(male)

RedMan1972 HB User
Bloody Sputum

When it says that bloody sputum is a symptom of lung cancer, what does it look like?

I am a 34 year old male who, when I woke up this morning tried to cough up some stuff from my throat due to post nasal drip. When I did there was sort of a hue/tint of pink to some of it the first two times I coughed. Is that what bloody sputum looks like? I had ate some pink/reddish candy before going to bed, could the dye have possibly still been in my throat?

I am scared because I used to smoke for 12 years (quit 2 months ago). Before quitting I had bronchitis/sinusitis which convinced me I had lung cancer. Over the past several months I have seen four different doctors (one a pulmonologist). All of them have done chest x-rays, tests, etc. and all of them say I have nothing to worry about when it comes to cancer. Should I demand a CT Scan?

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you for your time and you and all your families are in my prayers.

The following user gives a hug of support to RedMan1972:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMan1972 For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

my5sweetiepies HB User
Re: Bloody Sputum

I would think the docs know best. Sounds like when you cough you irritate the little mucous membranes. That is probably the pink tinge.
When I was a resp therapist, bloody sputum was more than pinkish tinge.

The following user gives a hug of support to my5sweetiepies:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to my5sweetiepies For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
(male)

conan1017 HB User
Re: Bloody Sputum

redman-

Bloody sputum caused by lung cancer is generally bright red. However, it is very hard to tell and I suugest you get it checked out and not take any chances. My wife had bloody sputum for months and our family doctor told us it was more than like due to pnuemonia she was supposedly recovering from. Now she has a late stage of lung caner. Our family doctor probably didn't think much about it because my wife never smoked, but if I knew then what I know now --- you better believe I would get a CT.

As I write, my has been admitted for bloody sputum (and anemia). Tommorow they are going to do a bronc to find the source of the bleeding, which is probably the large obstructive tumor in her left lung.

Do your self a favor my friend and get checked out, but don't worry yourself sick over. If there is one thing I learned, you must take responsibilty for you own health care -and for your family's. Let us know how things turn out and we will keep you in prayer.

conan

The following user gives a hug of support to conan1017:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to conan1017 For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread