HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   Small lung cancer in 63 year old (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/446872-small-lung-cancer-63-year-old.html)

courtenaynt 11-15-2006 08:52 AM

Small lung cancer in 63 year old

My mom, who is 63, was diagnosed with small lung cancer yesterday. We (her four daughters) are in shock and horror. It's like a nightmare. We are 27,29, 33, and 37. She smoked for years, but stopped ten years ago. But it doesn't matter anyway.

Does ANYONE have any success or hope stories for us?? They gave her four months without treatment, a year or two with.

Anyone with experience? We welcome it all.

Thank you.

sadandscared28 11-15-2006 09:52 AM

Re: Small lung cancer in 63 year old

[B][/B]i am so sorry to hear about you mom. my mom was diagnosed on june 14th..one of the worst day of my life. I know the shock of it and how you feel. Get ready for a battle,stay strong and positive.Look at the good stories and remember every case is different.If you have questions im here...this board has been a great help to me.

courtenaynt 11-15-2006 11:38 AM

Thanks for the advice. We will try. I just was hoping someone had some hope for me.

paul.alexander4 11-15-2006 12:12 PM

Hi there - I am new to this site but read your message regarding your Mum & just wanted to tell you of my experiences with my Mum. She is 62, diagnosed last September with the same & like you, was petrified of losing her. She underwent intense radiotherapy (3 times/day for 12 days). The last 13/14 months have been HELL through worry and the un-known, however today she went back to the hospital and was told that her tumour has "almost disappeared"!! I never realised that this could be possible, but she is proof and I just hope that your Mum can find treatment that will equally give her the best chance of survival - try really hard to remain positive, although that is easier said than done, but you must be strong.

Wishing you all the luck in the world - I hope this information will give you some hope. xxxx

courtenaynt 11-15-2006 12:21 PM

You did give me hope! I'm going to read this to my mother. How wonderful. Thank you. Thank you. I don't want false hope, but some real hope or something to look forward to is getting us through this.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Best of luck and hope to your mother, too. xo.

Kimslos 11-15-2006 12:57 PM

Hi-
You only mentioned SCLC and not if it is extensive or not. Is the cancer isolated? My husband has SCLC and was not given that long to live without treatment...2 to 6 months and it is now 17 months. (not an easy 17 months, but some beautiful times he had with our boys and know he would not trade the pain he went thru to see them smile and enjoy time with him) It is not an easy treatment so be prepared, but if your mom is determined then let her fight! Ask questions and ask more questions and do a lot of research. You also need to like your doctor and trust them. My husband has outlived what the doctors had told him and tell your mom never to go by those time frames as everyone is different.
Keep us posted and I will help answer any questions you have. There are not that many people on the posting board compared with SCLC, not sure why. The only problem with SCLC is that it is aggressive, but will respond initially to chemo. My husband is on his 4th line of chemo, but in a few weeks he will have his last treatment as the doctor said it is getting too hard on his body and need to let him rest. (otherwise the chemo can kill you) The chances are slim that it worked at all, but this will be the 2nd Christmas with cancer and it makes him so happy he can spend yet another Christmas with the boys.
You take care and prayers headed your way,
Kim

ladyj2 11-15-2006 05:27 PM

HI, I am very sorry to hear about your mom. Years ago my mom had the same diagnosis. She took the chemo which gave us extra time with her. In the end when she said no more chemo they gave her one month to live she lived almost five months. Please keep us posted. May I ask, what were your mom's symptoms. how was it discovered?

courtenaynt 11-15-2006 06:17 PM

She had this tiny bit of wheezing. She had a lung xray which showed the mass (3 cm) and we thought it was definitely nsclc, but were shocked to hear it was the other.

We are so sad and sick with fear. She is in otherwise good health, and is quite a character, so everything she says makes us laugh (then cry). My sister had cancer five years ago and we just made it to the "all clear" stage, now this...

Of course, we're still in the "Maybe it will be okay" stage, which seems naive and impossible, but it's too hard to actually face the other.

Thanks for listening.

ladyj2 11-15-2006 09:57 PM

I know how terrible this is!! I was 21 when my mom was diagnosed and 23 when she died. I can tell you we did have many great times and memories through out it. I had such peace and closure by the time she passed because we said so much to each other that we might not have otherwise said. We all laughed and cried and friends from all over came and visited her when she was terminal. We were all so touched by the help and love of so many we didn't know all that well. It meant the world to my mom that so many visited, sent cards etc. She was quite remarkable...when they gave her one month to live she still kept busy, sewing and being my mom, and like I said, she lived five more months. Don't give up hope and enjoy each day.

Janmarie2 11-15-2006 11:23 PM

My mom has NSCLC stage IV and thou she has now stopped chemo and is in hospice she made it longer the the doctors gave her. Six months with no treatment maybe a year with treatment, she was diagnosed in July 2004. SCLC and NCSLC are quite different. SCLC is more aggressive but it also responds better to chemo. NSCLC tends to be slower growing but does not respond as well to chemo. I really do not know if I would choose to have one over the other.

Be ready for a real roller coaster ride as your emotions are going to go up and down and all over the place. Cherish the good times and hold strong during the bad times.

During Chemo be on the alert for infections and sometimes it will just be a low grade fever and lack of energy that points towards infection . My mom had both a pneumonia and urinary tract infection after her first line chemo and it took my pressuring her doctor to get the tests done to find both as he just wanted to write it off to the cancer. Untreated she may have become septic and died and then become another 6 month stastic.Don't be afraid to question the doctors as like you they are human and unlike you they do not know your mom and what is normal for her. If you feel something is not right listen to that inner voice as it is usually right.

Someone needs to be your mom's advocate and go to doctors appointments with her so there is a second set of ears and a second voice to ask questions. Learn as much as you can about the cancer and treatments.

Watch out for dehydration and malnutrition during treatment as some chemo changes the way food tastes and others just cause one to not feel hungry. If this happens small snacks and small sips of water throughout the day can help. My mom's new favotite is Ensure mixed with a chocolate shake from Carl's Jr. During treatment we tried to avoid sugar as much as possible but sometimes when it is all you can get into them you need to do it as Malnutrition is a big killer for people with cancer. Learn about Nutrition for cancer patient's, A good book is Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Patrick Quillin.

Most important do not give up hope.In our case the focus of hope has shifted as my mom is now in hospice care but it is still hope. Believe in the power of prayer and do not be afraid to ask others for prayers as research as shown it does help.

"Of course, we're still in the "Maybe it will be okay" stage, which seems naive and impossible, but it's too hard to actually face the other" My friend that had Hodgkins Lymphoma made me understand it is ok to live in denial while you deal with cancer as for some like my friend and my mom it was the only way they could cope and survive.We all have different methods of survival for me it is learning as much as I can about the disease and treatment while my mom wanted to know as little as possible.

Come her and ask as many questions as you like and know there are no stupid questions or come just to vent .All of us here do understand as we have been there or are currently there. I will add your mom and your family to my prayers . Janmarie

courtenaynt 11-17-2006 10:50 AM

JanMarie, I so appreciate your long note. I will keep hope, and keep coming here. Thanks for your support and advice.

aggieTs 11-18-2006 08:23 PM

This is the first time I have posted although I have been following the posts for a year. I think the best thing you can do for your mother is to educate yourself about her disease. To often as I have seen in my own family as with my sisters death at 47 from nsclc and my mil battle with sclc the lack of knowledge of their cancers to often gave them false hope and a lack of a good quality of life. The plan truth is there is no cure for sclc. The Drs themsleves have no knowledge as to why some people live longer with it than others ,but its all they have. Yes I may sound negative ,but I have seen Drs give treatment to patients instead of telling them the truth and allowing them to make up their own minds as how they want to be treated. I do have a background in medicine so I know most patients with extensive sclc would live just as well with pallative care and still be enjoying their lives . I donot know why the medical community has such a hard time with allowing the patients to decide their own informed fate. I am very sorry for you ,your sister and most of all your mother. I hope you will have many more months together whatever she decides as to how to spend the rest of her life.

courtenaynt 11-21-2006 08:32 AM

Well, I think we're listening to doctors, but getting our own information independently as well. Even thought they throw out these depressing statistics, we were hoping to hear from some people who have defied the odds, or beat their expectations. Not to form false hope but to get inspiration. We realize what we are up against, but we want to believe in the power of medicine, prayer, and postitive thinking, too. We have to. We all need her to get through this.

mabegb 11-21-2006 05:52 PM

hope is definitely something you need in this battle. i know there are people that do beat the disease. prayer is very powerful and so is knowledge. you are doing the right thing by searching for all of these. you cant win the battle without a positive attitude. there are still many good days in ones life even after a diagnosis like this. i have stage 4 lung cancer and they tell me no cure . i dont care . im still living my life to the fullest. we all are only for a short time. it is what you do with the time you have and how you effect the ones around you. good luck to you and your family you are on the right track. god bless and i hope you find the inspiration you need.:wave:

tuckygal 11-21-2006 07:08 PM

Hello, I am 57, was diagnosed with SCLC in April 2005, did chemo and radiation and have had three 'clean' scans to date. I asked the Lord from day one to give me more time than the doctors were predicting and He has answered my prayers, along with all the prayers from so many in our area. I was told, at best, that I have a 50% chance of making it five years. Two down and three to go. I try to be thankful each day for waking up. I am adding your Mom and you and your family to my prayers each day. Yes, I believe in miracles and ask our Father each day to keep holding my hand. God bless and keep you. Love from Ky., Pat