It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
(female)

pjoi4 HB User
Coughing Up Bloody Lung Tissue and Falling Down!

Hi Everyone,

This afternoon my husband continued to cough up phlegm it started around 3;30am this morning. The hospice nurse asked to see what was inside of his paper towel and it was fresh blood with tissue. She told my husband that the time was getting near. My husband actually told the nurse that he was gaining weight. On our last visit to the doctorís office last week, his oncologist refused anymore treatments but did give us a prescription for Aranesp shots for him as an energy booster every two weeks. My husband was demanding a blood transfusion to help give him more energy. Our insurance company shipped two shots overnight that arrived UPS this morning. The nurse administered the shot today. I briefly left the room only to return and hear about him slipping and falling down trying to rise and go to the restroom. He split his left big toenail down the side. It was bleeding and his feet had started to swell. He is still refusing to let the nurse bring in a hospital bed. He complained of his side hurting really bad and he had to be helped to his feet and placed in his special lounge chair. I donít think that he will be walking around much anymore. The nurse will come visit tomorrow and give him sub-q (spelling) dilaudid underneath the skin. She ordered some AHB lotion to rub on his inner arms. It has Ativan and some other relaxing effects. I just have to wait and see. I have disconnected all the phones in the house. No one will miss them. My husband is kind of sad this evening. Before dosing off I said to him, remember not until the fat lady sings. He smiled and went off to sleep. I wonít know the extent of his injuries if any until later when he tries to stand.

Will post later.

Thank you and God Bless.

Renea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: Coughing Up Bloody Lung Tissue and Falling Down!

Renea,
So sorry to hear of your husband's condition. I am proud of you for disconnecting the phone, but be prepared as I am sure they will start knocking at the door. But...your MIL still lives with you, correct? I hope she behaves!!!!
I think you mentioned the kids do not know their dad is dying? It might not be my business, but are you going to tell them? We told our sons when they were 16 and 9. It was the hardest thing to do, but felt they needed to know and could not keep it a secret, especially since we have an older child. I believe yours are 7 and 9? (or close to that) I know that is a personal choice, but they must realize something is wrong? My heart aches for any child that must lose their parent...so sad. We talk openly about the cancer and the treatment and the kids ask questions.
I pray your husband (what is his name?...we always refer to him as your husband as feel terrilbe that I forgot his name if you mentioned it) does not suffer anymore Renea...he is such a fighter and you such an amazing lady with all that you are going thru you still find time to share with us how he is doing...thanks.
May God be with you at this "trying" time.
Kim

Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

Dearest Renea, you have been so close to my heart because I see you where I was just a short while ago. I have to agree that the phones need shutting off and good riddance to the tantrum-throwing ninkampoop MIL or yours.....
Honey, I don't know what your hubby's name is but I pray to God that he will keep you both strong. It is so awful to see that blood and stuff in the paper towel. I had "spit" buckets set up for Bud in every room of the house....needed to be. Also the badly hurting side...Bud too. I wonder now, looking back, if things were happening with his intestines and kidneys (ie...the "shutting" down thing). Sub-Q Diludid is good, and also the sublingual Ativan if you can get him to take it. Bud got to the point he could no longer swallow the Oxycontin pills. You will need to achieve for him a state of painlessness and you will need to monitor that very closely and not let him slip from that, which means no sleep, etc etc...but, you can do it Renea. Be prepared for agitation. They are scared even if they are right with God. God knows I would be. He might begin to moan a lot, even in his sleep. Best thing I found was the 2-3 times a day rub-downs with scented lotions that eased his aches and helped him relax a bit thru aromatherapy. Most of all Renea, stay close to him and let him know how much you love him. Hold his hand a lot, whisper sweet nothings to him, take him back to your dating days and see if that smile doesn't just beam....stroke his hair and make an attempt to try to lay next to him (I will be the first to say that if you get a hospital bed with rails, that is a tough thing to do...) and hold him close. If you do get a hospital bed, be prepared for a rock-hard plastic lined thing of a mattress. We ended up getting through hospice a "wound care mattress". They are like an air mattress that has built-in controls that adjust the support according to weight distribution (like when they move around int bed and stuff) and the air is heated so that it stays warm all of the time -- kinda like a waterbed. I also began to burn scented candles and maintain a very soft atmosphere. Just ideas that you probably already do. It's amazing to me how we all live so far apart and end up relating to the same things we do for our loved ones, or in some cases, for ourselves if we are the patient.

Please stay close to us in the days to come. We will be here for you, you are not alone and the ones of us who have crossed that bridge, well....we'll catch you when you are ready to fall.....

love and hugs and prayers...
Jan

Last edited by rockie; 12-14-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User

God bless!

Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User

God bless!

Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User

God bless!

Closed Thread