It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

KBM HB User
Scared.......CAT scan shows two nodules in right lung

Hello everyone.........I am new here and going out of my mind right now and need someone to talk to. I am sure I will find support here and information I will need.

After a routine chest x-ray done a shadow or possible nodule was discovered. I went for the CAT scan last week and found out yesterday that I do have a "small nodule within the right lobe" and a "probable tiny nodule within the right middle lobe". Needless to say I am very worried. I am 43 years old and the mother of three children. I am scared to death and bracing myself for the worst. I have the support of a husband but with the kids always around me putting on this happy face is hard. I can't tell my mom whom I am very close to for she worrys about me even when there is nothing to worry about. After losing my father to cancer 7 years ago this will devistate her.

I just moved my initial appointment with the pulminary doctor from January
4th to the 2nd because the waiting and not knowing is to much to bear. Not knowing what road this is going to lead to is giving me alot of aniexty and putting on a happy face with my kids so they don't catch on to anything will slowly take it's tole.

I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. The report suggests to repeat in 3 months but won't wait that long. Will suggest a PET scan need to know if this is cancer or not. Maybe a needle biopsy. If there is anyone who might be able to shed some light on things I would really appreciate it.

KBM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User
Re: Scared.......CAT scan shows two nodules in right lung

Sorry KBM that you have to worry about this! You will think the worst until you have a definate diagnosis but try to stay positive. You will find a lot of great people and much needed support on this board. Welcome; although I hope for your sake you won't need our support! Good luck!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
(male)

conan1017 HB User

KBM-

Your posting touches close to home as my wife who is only 43 and never had been a smoker has stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer. In case you are not already aware, there are basically to main types non-small cell and small cell which is considered more aggressive. We have 3 small children and 4 older children so I understand what your are feeling right now.

Your post reflects a healthy mental state for the position you find yourself in. When it was discovered that Patsy (my wife) had a large mass in the main lobe of her left lung we were told that it was assumed cancer until proven otherwise. When the biopsy proved it to be cancer, we were then told that it spread to multiple sites staging us at 4 (non-curable). So we just kept getting more bad news. However, "IF" the two nodules prove to be cancer BUT has not spread to other sites, then you have some pretty good options.

For now, do your best to stay calm and keep doing what you are doing. If you feel anxious, vent it out here. The people here definately understand and are very compassionate and gracious. Please stay in touch and let us know what you find out. But most importantly comminucate with your husband. He is the one you can lean on the most.

God bless,

conan

Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Don't assume the worst! I have a small nodule in my right lower lobe of the lung that was discovered quite by accident by having a CT scan of my abdomen.

I was terrified that I could possibly have lung cancer...all the questions from the ER doc on how much I smoked, when did I start, and I had to stop him in his tracks and tell him a cigarette never touched my lips in my life!

Long story short...had the PET scan and it favored a benign nodule; no cancer; but I still have CT scans every 6 months since just to keep check on it.

Not sure if growing up with parents and relatives who were heavy, heavy, smokers contributed to this nodule developing via second hand smoke or not, but it's too late now for me to think about it.

Whenever I see parents smoking in front of their kids, or in their cars, it irritates me so.

Having never been a smoker, I don't know the addiction and I'm sure if I was growing up in this time, my family would have thought twice before lighting up in the house or car.

I know this is a terrible worry, but it doesn't mean that your nodule is malignant and even if it were to be...and that's a big if, luck is on your side with them both being small.

Best of luck!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

I know how frightened you must be but not all nodules are cancer, it could be scars from an infection you had years ago, it could be TB scars as you could have had a mild case and never even knew it, it could be a fungus, here on the west coast Cocci is a fungus that often presents with lung nodules. During my mom's battle with NSCLC my dad was found to have a nodule in his lung but it appears to be an old TB scar. He was exposed to TB as a child and probably had a mild case of it. Hopefully you will not have to wait to long for some answers as yes the waiting is the worst. I will add you to my prayers. Do let us know as we would all love to hear it is not cancer or if it turns out it is we are here to offer you support. I know it is tough but hang in there. JanMarie

Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
(female)

KBM HB User

Thank you all so much for your kind words of support. I definetly will be needing all of you to get me through this road I am on.

Unfortunately when I was younger I did smoke. I picked it up when I was about 19 and stopped when I became pregnant with my first child at 26. I was a somewhat heavy smoker. When my first daughter was born with Down Syndrome I never really picked it back up again. Though smoking had nothing to do with what happened to her I was a mother now and knew smoking was not good for me or her.

Don't know the plan of action the doctor will put me on. I am hoping I can have a pet scan done. I am worried that if something has started in my lung that it could be some where else. I was in a pretty bad car accident in March of 2000 and have some injuries from it. For years since then and as I am getting older I am feeling aches and pains and new pains always are popping up. Concerned that one of the areas might be where it started or where it has spread. I know that I am jumping the gun and letting my mind think down a road that I might not be headed to but that's just me.

Once I get to speak to the doctor I will feel much better as to possibly where this is headed. I have a few questions for everyone:

1. Did anyone ever feel anything? pain or discomfort or just something not right on the side that these nodules where? I have been feeling something inside on my right side for a few months. Something I never felt before and only once and a while.

2. How long does it take for results of a pet scan? of a needle biobsy?

3. Has anyone ever had a needle biobsy? Was it painful?

Appreciate all your support and correspondence. If it wasn't for this site and being able to contact others I would be going out of my mind even more than I am.

KBM

Last edited by KBM; 12-28-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Hi-
I am sorry you are going thru this, but on a positive side, we will pray it is not cancer and it might be just a little scar from a previous illness. There have been many people who have visited this posting board worried it was lung cancer and then to find out it was not cancerous! So...stay positive and as others have posted to you it could be a various number of things.
You take care of yourself and have a great New Year!
Kim

Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
(female)

KBM HB User

Conan 1017

How is your wife doing now?

KBM

Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
(male)

conan1017 HB User

KBM-

I think what you said earlier "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" is good approach. Having said that, I wouldn't assume the worst. Docs may do that because they would prefer to errr on the side of caution.

I'm sorry I cannot answer all your questions, but in regards to question #1 my wife was coughing up a little blood in her sputum but was told by our family doctor that it was because of the pnuemonia she was supposedly recovering from. She also had some back pain, which niether us would have ever linked to lung cancer. Lastly she was losing weight which our family doctor also had wrong, saying his blood work showed a hyper-thyroid ....which it was not. Finally we discovered she had a colapsed lung at an office visit which led to a ct scan which revealed a large obstructive tumor.

To answer you other question, she has made slow but steady progress since her first cycle of chemo in early Sept. Since she has had 6 cycles of Carboplatin/Gemcitabine and the obstructive tumor has atleast a 50% reduction. We will hopefully learn more on the 3rd of Jan. Other than that we have learned to take things one day at a time (for the most part).

When we were in the hospital not certian exactly wether or not the mass was cancer or not, our minds were racing a million miles per hour. Then I told my wife "it is what it is". ...and somehow, that helped prepare us to accept whatever results we might get. I hope you are able to prepare for the worst without assuming the worst. I hope and pray to see a post from you saying "Its NOT cancer!".

take care, conan

Old 12-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

It took about a week or so before I heard from the doctor's office that my PET scan was fine. I kept telling myself the old phrase, "no news is good news" and it turned out to be true in this case.

Also, the tech that led me through the exam told me afterwards (due to my prying it out of her) that even though she isn't a doctor, there was really nothing to worry about. I took her for her word as she was with the doctor looking over the films the whole time with him...so I know she knew.

The good thing in your case is that you only smoked for a short time compared with many who have smoked for decades; so you have a lot going for you right there. I'll say a prayer that all goes well for you and keep us posted.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
(female)

KBM HB User

Thanks again for all your prayers and support. I am trying to keep my head up and will try and get through this weekend. Unfortunately, being New Years will make it that much harder. Going out and being with everyone and laughing and having fun is not in me right now but I hope I can find the strength to do so. My appointment is Tuesday at 2:15 and I will post what the doctor advises me.

KBM

Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #12
(female)

mabegb HB User

kmb~ it sounds like you have gotten lots of good advice and support so far. i know it is hard. the waiting is really stressful. in feb of this year i had been having some chest pain . and also in my back. i was a heavy smoker. so i went to the doctor . they did a ct. i was previously diagnosed with a rare cancer in my saliva gland 10 years earlier but had had no problems since my treatments. they thought they saw something in my face and sent me for a petcan and discovered something in my lungs. it took about 5 days for the results. they then did a bronschopy(sp?) where they scrape the tumor instead of a needle biopsy. they confirmed it was the original cancer metastisized into the lungs.
i have been down the road you are going. i have 4 children and am 37. it was pretty rough for afew weeks , but i pray for you that it is only scare tissue or something simple. things have not turned out as terrible as i had imagined. my cancer is slow growing and yes while i have to go through treaments and it is very scary god has gotten me through so much. i have totally changed how i live my life and the relationships i have. it has brought a whole new way of life. and i do enjoy everyday . yeas some are hard but my family and god get me trhough it . it is amazing what we can handle.

so i hope this is not part of your journey. if it is there is much support here for you. i will keep you in my prayers. i will be praying for good results from you doctors and enjoy your new years~melissa

Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #13
(female)

KBM HB User

Hi everyone...........Well, I went to the doctor on Tuesday and after looking over report and discussing my health history felt it would be safe to wait 3 months and repeat cat scan to see if there is any change in the nodules. I do not have shortness of breath, unexplained weight loss, or coughing or coughing up blood. Also he said the two nodules are not near any lymph nodes so he felt completely at ease with waiting.

Having lost my father to cancer I am afraid of getting it myself. I questioned him as to if he thinks this could be a secondary site. He felt again that if it were a secondary site they wouldn't be only two small nodules. He also stated that it was a good sign that they were smooth and round not having jaggered or mis shaped nodule.

So I guess we will wait and see. He said if I felt more comfortable I could get another cat scan in early March, which would be only two months later. Thanks to everyone with your kind words and support and information you gave to get me through last week.

My heart goes out to all those effected by this horrible desease......"cancer". As I origionally posted I did smoke in my teenage and early twenty years.
There have been many times I thought of picking it up again. Quitting smoking was a jump start to gaining weight and turning to food as I would normally have turned to smoke.

This scare that I went through has assured me that I will never picked it up again. This was surely a wake up call for me and hopefully I will continue to get good news each cat scan I have through out the next year or so of monitering these nodules.

My prayers go out to all those whom have been effected by a diagnoses of lung cancer. As little as I just went through I can't imagine the mental angish and physical toll that it has on a person and his or her family whom has a diagnoses of cancer. The strength that you need to get through your treatments or surgery or testing while trying to maintain as close to a "normal" day to day home life for those of you with young children. May you find inner strength and much needed love and support from those around you to beat this cancer out of your life forever and develop into a stronger more determined person that can concer anything after having battled cancer. God bless you all...........KBM

Last edited by KBM; 01-05-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
(female)

mabegb HB User

kbm- it was good to read that evrything is o.k. for now. i wish you continued good health. and that the scans in 3 months will show no changes. take care and keep us updated.-melissa-

Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
(female)

bkerber HB User

Hi KBM,
Just wanted to try and give you a little peace of mind. This past May both of my parents died from lung cancer. At my next dr appt I told her to keep a good check of any xrays of my lungs. Well, I was having a CT on my abdomen so she went ahead and scheduled one for my chest while I was there. I figured cool, I'll get a good report and I'll not worry. Well, come to find out they found 3 very small nodules. Holy cow, I cant even tell you how scared I was. My dr did do a PET and nothing showed up. He said that it really didnt mean anything and I had to wait, like you for a second CT scan to see if any growth had taken place. That was such a long wait. I was so knotted up. Well, come to find out, the nodules were stable with no growth and he said it could have been old scarring from an infection. I am due another CT in Feb, just to keep check. I was a smoker, as were both of my parents. Try not to worry too much even though its hard. Think positive until you have to worry. Please keep us updated and I'll be thinking of you

Becky

Closed Thread