It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

Cee10 HB User
Question Confused

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on a problem I am having understanding.
As you may know I have CUP cancer of unknown primary.

The tumour in my lung is not contained so they are saying it's a metastasis, not the primary, the histology is adenocarcinoma.
I also have a massive tumour in my kidney. I am confused as it seems from my online research that adenocarcinoma does not grow in the kidney - or I may have that wrong. Is there a possibility that I have a different type of cancer in the kidney.
If anyone can clarify this for me it would help me.

Next week I am going for tests on the kidney, I thought I was going to have a biopsy at a cancer centre, but not too sure now, what tests will be done or where.
thanks
God Bless
Cee

Old 01-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User
Re: Confused

Cee, I sure have no idea. I didn't think it was possible to to have two different types of cancer going at the same time, but my knowledge is limited. But, it does sound like you have your hands full and I am going to keep you close to my heart that they will be able to figure out what is going on with you and are able to provide you with treatment options that will benefit both tumors. In the meantime, try some relaxation techniques and prayer works wonders. How is the quality of your day to day living? Is the kidney tumor affecting this more than the lung one? You have all of us behind you, you know that! Here, we are like a huge family and hold eachother up and try our best, even through cyberspace, to be of strength and support to any who need us.

Take care and keep us posted over what the next days will unfold for you.

Love, prayers, hugs, and peace
Jan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Hi Cee,
Sorry you are going thru so much and hope you get some answers. My FIL had melanoma and then on his 2nd brain surgery they realized not only did he have metatasized melanoma he even had brain cancer on top of that! (Glioblastoma) It was rare they said, but they did not realize it on the scans since the melanoma had grown over it! So to your answer I guess it is possible to have 2 different types of cancer, but don't think it is that common.
Keep us posted and hope you get some answers so you can fight the disease!
Kim

Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

nana99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimslos View Post
Hi Cee,
Sorry you are going thru so much and hope you get some answers. My FIL had melanoma and then on his 2nd brain surgery they realized not only did he have metatasized melanoma he even had brain cancer on top of that! (Glioblastoma) It was rare they said, but they did not realize it on the scans since the melanoma had grown over it! So to your answer I guess it is possible to have 2 different types of cancer, but don't think it is that common.
Keep us posted and hope you get some answers so you can fight the disease!
Kim

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
(female)

nana99 HB User

my husband has NSCLC since July 2005 and when he had his C.T. Scan after he had his chemo and radiation they found a tumor on his kidney. It turned out to be renal kidney cancer . He has no mets from his lung cancer.
He had Cryosurgery done on his kidney cancer , it stopped the blood flow going to the tumor. Our doctor said you can get two different types of cancer, they don't see it happen very often.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
(female)

nana99 HB User

Sorry my post went thru before i had finished. Ask you dr. about cyrosurgery it works good if the tumor small, Hope this helps you .
God bless and try and stay strong.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
(female)

Cee10 HB User

Hi
Thanks for your replies, knowing there are people out there who take the time to offer support and advice, helps me so much.

I went on my journey to see the professor about the mass in the kidney, he did not do a biopsy but did an ultra sound the mass is growing around an artery in the kidney, and the kidney is dyeing he offered to remove the kidney and I could have been admitted into hospital the next day.
The team of doctors had a talk about the operation and decided there are huge risks associated with the kidney removal, because of lung mass, and all the breathing problems I have had recently, there is a high possibility that I would not wake up after the surgery. They would have to induce a pulmonary embolisim (sp) one day and remove the kidney the following day. I don't fully understand it all.
It would not cure my cancer nor could they promise that it would reduce pain, or extend life if a successful operation, and I would then have to take interferon for the rest of my days, I live alone and there is no way I could take care of myself and deal with the side effects of the interferon.
I had five minutes to decide, continue as I am with pain management or have the surgery. I decided to continue as I am - The risks were too high for an unpredictable outcome, so asked them to wait. I hope I made the right choice. My gut reaction was not to do the surgery.

I am still unsure if the kidney mass is the same type as the lung mass, don't think I will ever find out. So thats the update, now to recover from the journey!
God Bless you all,
Cee

Old 01-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Cee,

Sorry to hear about your problems. That was a tough decision but if that was what your inner voice said to do then listen to it. I have learned over the years that that small inner voice is seldom wrong.

Working in a hospital for 25 yrs I see the people that made the other decision after being told they probably will not survive surgery and have the surgery then never recover and spend what days, weeks sometimes even months they have left in the hospital and often in the ICU hooked to ventilators. It is not pretty and I so often feel all we are doing is torturing the person as everyone involved knows that they will not walk out of the hospital and the few that do leave often end up in sub acute units or nursing homes to live out their life there.

I think I would have made the same decision as you as I have learned quality of life is much more precious the quaniity. Some people may feel different but this is how I feel.We are all entitled to our own views so while there is no one right or wrong there is what is right for each of us as individuals.

You were not being offered a cure so the pain management and living what ever time here on earth that God has allows you is what I would do too. Bless you for being strong enough to make that decision. Let us know how you are doing. And yes people can have more then one type of cancer at the same time. I met a man that had NSCLC and Liver cancer ( that was not related to the NSCLC). Bless you and I will send lots of prayers your way. JanMarie

Old 01-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Cee,
Nice seeing your post from you, but saddened you were not given better news. I feel JanMarie "summed" it up quite well. What a big decision to make and I am sure I would have made the same decision as you had to make. Stan is now up against making some decisions regarding chemo so we meet with his doctor on Monday to determine what he will do going forward. He started 5th line chemo, already so weak from the previous 4 lines so it knocked him down good after the first treatment. I am not sure that is the way to go. He has been home sleeping, losing weight and not getting much quality. I know it is a tough decision so we need to ask the doctor some quesitons. Stan thinks he has a cold, but I am not so sure...think maybe something with the lungs, but just don't know. Anyway, I am rambling on so will end this, but wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and sending you prayers to get some quality you deserve! I hope you can manage the pain and enjoy life at this point.
Kim

Old 01-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

God Bless you Cee for the very tough decision you were faced with and such a narrow window of time to decide on. I think I would have done the same thing. When I see what Bud went through, I agree that quality over quantity is what matters most for myself. But like JanMarie said, it is an individual decision that all of us sometime in our lives will need to make, accept and find peace with. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I will keep you close to my heart and in my prayers. We are here for you, stay strong and know that we love you.

Jan

Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
(female)

Cee10 HB User

Hi

Thanks so much for your support as always it means so much to me. I have been resting in bed, so not sitting at my PC, maybe It's time to get a laptop

Needless to say my decision has been going around my mind - was it the right one da da da. So your posts have been so helpful to me. Jan your nursing experience gives a valuable insight which
you shared and by so doing gave me greater confidence, Kim and Jan (rockie) thanks to you all for your support it's warming to my heart, brings tears to my eyes, a prayer of gratitude.

My bed rest is doing me good, the pain is a little less and I have also been able to get up and fix myself a meal for the last three days, I feel really good being able to do that. Hunger is a sensation I had forgotten, but it has returned and I have some energy to make food, - must be doing something right. (I have been living on milk and bananas for months) Dare to think that the wheel is turning and things improving I don't know - I pray that it's so.

I have been trying to work out why the pain started suddenly, the lung, kidney and spine masses are the same size, so why are they hurting now and not before. About three or four months ago I stopped doing my daily yoga so my abdomen had got weaker, a lot weaker. So for the past week I have started doing gentle yoga for my core muscles, just ten minutes a day of stretches, after which I go back to sleep. I think maybe it's making a difference, time will tell. If / when I can do
these stretches without the need to sleep after the movements, I hope to extend the program to bring in other muscle groups, perhaps it's possible to slowly rebuild the muscle. My Dr. says the loss of muscle is because of metabolic changes due to the cancer. Whoops a thunder storm just started, I had better sign off.

God Bless you all - my prayers are as ever, with you all

Cee

Closed Thread