It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
(male)

RedMan1972 HB User
Chest Pain with Lung Cancer

Is the chest pain associated with lung cancer something that comes and goes or something that is persistent all day. I am really worried about my situation.

I am 34 years old, smoked around a pack a day for around 13 years. Got a bad case of asthmatic bronchitis during August. Since then I have had 7 (yes, count them) chest x-rays since then because of paranoia. All of them were clean. But I'm having these chest pains that come and go. They are on both sides and not always in the same place. Most of the time it's not really pain but more of a heaviness type feeling. I have had a couple circumstances where it felt almost like a burning for a few minutes. Again never in the same place. But it doesn't happen all day and it doesn't happen every day although it's stepped up a little the past few weeks. My doctor's (I have seen 2 and one pumonologist) all feel there is no need for a CT Scan. They feel it is muscular.

I am so frustrated. Should I be scared? Oh yeah, I've had my heart checked out and everything is fine.

Last edited by RedMan1972; 01-15-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: Chest Pain with Lung Cancer

Hi RedMan,
Sorry to hear the pain and the frustration you are going thru! Honestly, x-rays do not detect all lung cancers! My husband has lung cancer and in April 05 in showed NO cancer on the lung x-ray, but at the end of May 05 he went for a CT scan and he had cancer everywhere in his body! (not to scare you at all) I know CT scans are not good for you, but agree it is odd you keep getting pain. My husband had chest pain associated with lung cancer, but it never stayed...just would come and go and thought it was his heart. His problem was his back and a cough. Please don't worry yourself sick and have you considered getting a 2nd opinion from another doctor? Personally I would not have anymore x-rays. (not good for you to expose yourself to all that) Hopefully it is a pulled muscle which is flaring up, but you never know. You take care and keep us posted!
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
(male)

RedMan1972 HB User

Thanks! I have had two doctors and a pulmonologist and all say the same thing. I sound clear when breathing, my lung capacity is 98% and my x-rays are clear. I was also diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis which has left me with mild asthma so it may have something to do with it.

I am just scared and don't know how to get across to any of them to give me a CT Scan. I know some cities have 'boutique' scanning offices where you can go without a referral but there isn't one in my city.

I know that at my age lung cancer is rare but it is still a possibility. But what are the chances of 7 x-rays over a 6 month period not picking up anything? These x-rays were done by 3 different doctors (one a pulmonologist). I don't know what to do. I feel like I am going crazy.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

SMB2006 HB User

Hi Redman,

I am in a similar positon. I have been experiencing chest and back pain for the past 4 months. Started with a really bad cough and continuous chest pain. I have been to the doctors on numerous occasions, had 2 chest x-rays (both came back normal). Cough has now gone but left with this wierd hazy feeling in my throat (I have a ENT appointment at end of march). The doctors wont even consider lung cancer as a possibility, as I dont smoke and I am 35. But non-smokers still get lung cancer dont they? He finally decided to give me a blood test at least. Hopefully something will show up in my blood. All i know is I am sick of feeling sick. I am thinking of getting a ct-scan myself.

Hope you feel better soon and keep us posted.

smb

Old 01-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

mabegb HB User

redman and smb- hopefully it will turn out that both of you are healthy. but both of you know your bodies better than anyone so if something isn't right to you and your not satisfied with what they are telling you definitely get a second opinion. as for the pain i can tell youwhat i experience. my pain is never there all the time it comes and goes. alot of times it is a stabing pain either in my back(middle or shoulder blade area) or in my ribcage. sometimes i get a pain in my chest where it feels like it could my heart(but it is not) and i have this lump sensation in my throat all the time(they tell me from the bronchial openings being blocked). im sure there are lots of different pains others feel.
i hope you can find lots of good advice and support on here, there are lots of caring people here. so im hoping to hear from both of soon about dr.s appt.s
good luck and keep us posted. praying for you-melissa

Closed Thread