It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User
Question Dad's chemo starts next week

My Dad is finishing up with his radiation- just two more treatments. On the 25th he'll start chemo. His body is already weakened from the brain tumor and radiation. What can we expect when chemo starts?

Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

kel_pattons HB User
Re: Dad's chemo starts next week

I would like to tell you it will get better, but I am afraid that it will not. My mother had five weeks of Radiation and three cycles of chemo, the chemo took a toll on her more than anything else, she got more and more week from it, she was vomiting and it caused blood clots that put her in the hospital for weeks. The most important thing to remember is chemo drops your red and white blood cells, which will leave him vulnerable to infections, make sure on or about the fourth day after starting chemo that you or someone takes his temperature on a regular basis, if it goes up past 100.5 degrees that is a sign that an infection is setting in, also because blood clots can form, if he has any pain that increases greatly over a short period of time get him to the ER as quick as possible. My mother also experienced a loss of appetite, loss of cordination, and extreme memory loss. I hope this helps you somewhat, good luck to you and your family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
(female)

mabegb HB User

lisa faith, keep in mind everyone reacts differently to the chemo. if you know which one he will be getting you can research the side effects and it might help to know what you are dealing with. it may increase his fatigue but hopefully if he has any nausea they can counteract it with the pre meds or i take something called emend-starting the day of treatment and for 2 days after. it helps me alot. if his counts were to drop they usually give injections. my red cell is low so they give me procrit to help get it back up there. i will be praying that he tolerates treatment well.. good luck to him....melissa

Old 01-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Lisa Faith,
I think Melissa said everything I would have told you, but wanted to wish him well. Also, I might add that if for some reason he gets too weak make sure to communicate to the doctor as they can post pone treatment a bit if necessary as my husband has done that throughout his treatments. It is so true that everyone is different and you just don't know how they will repsond. I hope he gets some strength back and can handle the chemo.
Melissa, you are an amazing lady fighting cancer yourself and helping others! You take care of yourself and keep us updated.
Kim

Old 01-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am really scared for what my Dad will have to endure. But I'm mostly worried about my Mom, and how to support her. She is trerrified at the thought of my Dad not surviving this.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
(female)

mabegb HB User

lisa- i just wonder if your mom would benefit from a support group. possible with others that have spouses going thru what your dad is.if you think she might you could ask at your cnacer center or doctors office. sometimes there are churches that offer groups too. just a suggestion. i wish her well. melissa

Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

Melissa,
I asked my Mom about a support group, and I even recommended that she come to this message board. She feels that if she talks to other people about what they're going through, or reads a posts from people, she will not be able to hold it all together. She does what needs to be done at the time, and tries to avoid thinking about it the rest of the time- although not very successfully I suspect. I guess I just have to let her handle it in whatever way is working for her at the time.

Lisa

Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
(female)

mabegb HB User

oh poor thing- this must be so hard on her. i guess your right she should process it as she is used to doing. i will say a prayer for her.

Closed Thread