It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Delayed Stan's chemo for one more week...

Hi-
Just wanted to update on Stan's condition. We met with the doctor this morning and decided to give him another week off from chemo. The doctor also decided to do chemo every other week instead of every week since he is on his 5th line and he agreed that, yes the chemo can kill you before the cancer if given too aggressively so he agreed to back off a bit. Plus, Stan's thrush is still not better to go forward with treatment. So looks like he will start chemo on the 29th as long as he is strong enough. Amazingly his white, red and platelets are all good even though he feels so fatigued! Someone I spoke with today asked if we ever had his B-12 checked via his blood work. This lady has MS and has chemo for her MS and she was very fatigued and had a blood test for B-12 which I had never thought of, has anyone else ever done that? Anyway, I hope all my friends on the posting board have a peaceful and pleasant week. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way,
Kim

Old 01-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
(female)

mabegb HB User
Re: Delayed Stan's chemo for one more week...

kim- i do not have any experience with the b-12(although i have heard of it)
but would like to offer prayers for stan. i hope things start to improve for him soon. at least that is good news about his counts(that always seems like such a battle).
thank you some much for the kind words the other day. take care and i will be praying for your family-melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

Hep HB User

Hi Kim.
My dad gets a B12 shot regularly to help with fatigue. It does make a difference for a short time. It certainly can't hurt.

Hope Stan is feeling better soon.
Hep

Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
(male)

conan1017 HB User

Hi Kim-

Patsy sometimes takes those b-12 dots (put under the tongue) and she thinks they help. Aside of the gemzar, is Stan getting whole brain radiation? I think I recall you saying something about that.

Sorry I haven't been able to respond lately. It has been busy and hectic here. I have been battling to get the Tarceva processed, which our "medical program assistant" was suppose to be doing. I think these people give it a half-hearted try and then just sit there. Anyway, from what I learned today it is covered by our insurance under "specialty medicines" and all our Onc has to do is fax a request. So hopefully we will get started soon.

In response to another thread, I have been getting some personal time. Played golf on Saturday and since Christmas the kids and I have been bike riding. Cathlin and Jason ride their bikes and I carry Jamie on mine. I haven't given up on running either, I just haven't made it that far as of yet. Again, I hope to be finished with a number of chores and projects by mid Feb. ...I just don't want anyone to think I have abandoned my friends here, as well I miss being here.

I have been thinking of everyone (btw ...great to hear the good news melissa!) Also I wonder how others are doing who haven't posted in a while. And most certianly, I have thought of you, Stan and your boys. On that note, is your oldest making plans for college? Well I have to run and hopefully I can catch up with you later. God bless you Kim, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

conan

Last edited by conan1017; 01-23-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Thanks Hep for your posting...appreciate what anyone can offer to help with the fatigue for Stan. I will ask the doctor, but think I can just get the tablets under the tongue too. He is just so weak these days, but somehow pushes himself.
Melissa thanks for the prayers and posting too! You are such an amazing person fighting this terrible disease and you offer encouragement even to the caregivers...thanks a big hug! You have 2 girls, correct? (or did I get you confused with someone else?)
No Conan Stan is not getting whole brain radiation. He is very against having the WBR. We have done a lot of research and his concern is the fact that they cannot isolate a tumor,(how could you isolate 50 plus!) but do the entire brain which kills good cells along with the bad and it just buys some time as with SCLC they tell you that once they start zapping the lesions in the brain for some reason they come back or don't respond. He is worried if he has WBR his quality of life would be gone. I support him on his decision, but if he changes his mind tomorrow I will still support his decision. (a tough one!)
Is Patsy now on Tarceva?? I hope you finally got all of that worked out...what an ordeal! How is Patsy feeling?
No worries about the hectic schedule and understand so just update as when you can jump on!
Yes, our oldest is graduating this June and is figuring out what college he might want to attend. He has applied to Cal State Fullerton since it is local, but not sure that is the best for him. You see he will only be 17 when he starts college, which is very young and given what is going on with Stan we hate for him to start a 4 year, but if he gets in that would be great, but if he does not then he will go to JC and transfer to UCLA or USC or maybe even UC Irvine. Not 100% yet, but in the works.
Stan has had another tough week and Monday is approaching and he is still very "iffy" if he will have treatment on Monday. He still has thrush and is just very, very fatigued and still in constant pain since he insists on only taking vicadin.
I am fading quickly so better end this for now, but wanted to thank Hep, Melissa and Conan for posting to my thread and send prayers your way.
Take care,
Kim

Old 01-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
(female)

mabegb HB User

kim - im sorry to hear stan having such a difficult past few weeks. you were right i do have two girls(alexis 11 and ashley 13) they truly are what keep us going. on the days when we think we have nothing left god shines on us and brings these beautiful things to us to somehow make it o.k. for a while.
life is absolutely crazy sometimes. we found out 2 weeks ago my husbands company is closing this week. we really could of done without that little surprise but im going to leave it in gods hands for now he has never failed me yet. i really hope that things start to improve with stan. are the kids hanging in? are you? you all will be in my prayers.............melissa

Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
(female)

Cee10 HB User

Hi Kim,

A quick line to wish you well, I hope Stan is feeling a little more energetic. Good luck whatever you decide to do about the chemo.

God bless you and your family
Cee

Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
(male)

conan1017 HB User

Kim-

I am so sorry to hear that Stan is still struggling ...especially wwith the thrush. While thrush may seem like a little thing, I know it is a problem when fighting this terrible disease. Oh how I hope he can feel weel enough to get out or get away for a few days. I think that sometimes it makes a world of difference.

Patsy started Tarceva last Thursday, so today is day 6. We haven't noticed any side effects or significant changes as of yet. Which I guess is good since she started at 150 mg daily. The problem getting the presciption filled however, was with the pharmacy asst. at the cancer center, not our insurance company. It took me about 25 minutes to find out that Tarceva is covered under "specialty medications" by our insurance and is only a $50 copay (per month). So then I called the cancer center and informed them that all they had to do is have the onc send in a written request. Is that crazy or what?

I really have been busy. I even took the day off today to catch up on stuff and just now found a few minutes to drop a line. Our eldest daughter is gone now. She went up for orientation on Sat. the 20th and missed a 10:00 appt. fooling around with her boyfirend. So she and "pizza boy" walked around the campus and I doubt she will have a clue as where to go on Monday. Anyway, she called that Sunday night to tell me she wasn't coming home til Monday KNOWING I aboslutely had to work the next day ...giving practically no notice. I was so angry I told her not to worry about it, I didn't want her help any more. So she just stayed up there. She came back Fri. to get her things and off she went. Oh how things changed when she met this boy. I am afraid she is going to make some big and possibly lasting mistakes.

Anyway, I have to run and get the kids from school. I hope to get back on in the evenings again soon. I hope to talk to you more this week. Stay strong Kim, you are an inspiration and blessing to your family and your friends

conan

Old 01-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
(female)

postiemayer HB User

Hi Kim, as always my prayers are with you and your family. My husband too is experiencing great fatigue but is totally impressed with the fortitude Stan has displayed thru all of this. We have an herbal nutritionist in this small town that has put my husband on astagalus (which even the American Cancer Society has endorsed I found) to boost his immune system, American Ginseng to give him energy ( he stopped that, claimed it wired him) and just today he is starting a regime of something called Liquid Liver Extract to boost his red blood cells, hopefully helping. Will let you know about this in the future. I am also using a healing candle every day with my prayers. What the heck, none of this can hurt.

Closed Thread