HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   Devastated (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/465330-devastated.html)

KH2129rulz 01-24-2007 05:18 AM

Devastated

I went to the Dr. yesterday because I noticed that about 3 weeks ago I was getting shortness of breath. They did their usual routine, checked ears, nose , throat, etc. She even said my lungs sounded good. Well, as a precaution, she had chest x-rays taken. She found 2 nodules and possibly a third. She couldn't tell because of the way it was situated around my heart. She explained that not all nodules are cancer, but she couldn't explain the shortness of breath, which of course, leads me to believe the worst. I go today for a CT scan, so hopefully I'll know more. Please tell me what to expect. I don't know anyone personally who's gone thru this. I'm a 43 yr. old male and I considered myself to be fairly healthy. I don't really feel that bad, just the shortness of breath,. It doesn't happen all the time. I don't have a chronic cough, don't spit up blood. Is that a good sign? Thanks in advance.

Ray

easyrun262 01-24-2007 08:15 AM

Re: Devistated

Hi K- CT scans, as a diagnostic tool, are very helpful in highlighting anatomical abnormalties. PET scans, as a diagnostic tool, are very helpful in highlighting metabolic abnormalties. If detected, I would think that your doctor would order a biopsy. If found malignant, the doctor would need to order additional tests to determine staging. It is the stage that dictates treatment protocols.

I hope this was helpful. I share with you the anxiety and grave concern. I want you to know that their are many treatment options available. I want you to know that their are also very well-meaning people on this board who are willng to provide support.

Best to you and family... Tom

KH2129rulz 01-24-2007 08:34 AM

Thanks so much Tom. I went for my CT this morning and should know something in a couple of days. I'm really touched by some of the posts here. Some really caring and knowledgable people. After reading many posts, I'm getting an idea of what to expect. I wish there was some way to get my mind off it though. I'm sure I'll frequent this board often. Thanks Again
Ray

easyrun262 01-24-2007 09:00 AM

Hi Ray- You are very welcome! I can understand how preoccupied you may be. My mind has been so consummed by this disease. I'm trying to keep life normal. I'm trying to live life as full as possible. I wish you well. Keep us posted. You have friends here... Tom

lorriem 01-24-2007 10:22 AM

Hi Ray
I know how you feel when you say devistated but take a deep breath and wait for your CT results are in. When you get your results it may show nothing and if it does show something it still might not be cancer so you will most likly have a PET scan that will tell you what it most likly is. Right now try and put it out of your mind since it could be a nimber of different things.
Prayers for good results
Lorrie

KH2129rulz 01-24-2007 11:26 AM

Lorrie, thanks for the encouragement. I try to put it out of my mind. I just can't. I would be more apt to believe it's nothing if it wasn't for the shortness of breath. What's the chances? Also, the part I'm having the hardest part dealing with is my 11 yr. old son. He won't understand and I hate the thought of leaving him. He and my wife are my world. I truly hope it turns out to be something else, but I'm a realist. Everything I've read points to LC. I can't bare the thought of putting my family thru it. I know they would be there, unconditionally, but it's so unfair to them. How does an 11 yr. old say goodbye to his hero? Forever? This is the hardest thing I've ever been thru, even without the "results". It seems the waiting is prolonging the agony. My son cried himself to sleep last night thinking it could be cancer. What kind of toll will it take on him if it turns out to be? Will he be strong enough? God, I pray he will. Thanks again and sorry for rambling. Ray

flintrock 01-24-2007 11:34 AM

My husband, who has asthma, has a couple nodules also, and they do a CT every 6 months to see if they change. they haven't changed in 5 years.......so it's nothing..........his pulmonologist is the best in the state, also could be scare tissue from having pnuemonia.....bronchitis...........so you have many options it could be. Don't assume the worst.............

KH2129rulz 01-24-2007 01:31 PM

Thanks. I'm trying really hard to have more positive thoughts. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Ray

lorriem 01-24-2007 01:41 PM

Ray all I can say is cancer is not a death sentance anymore.My husband had his right upper lobe removed because he had a 10 cm tumor there. Two weeks after coming home from the hospital he went back to work (no pain meds) and he opted for Chemo as a just in case and worked the whole time he had the chemo.He thought about living and not death so put that out of your mind and reassure your son. Think positive like Flint said it can be a lot of things.
Lorrie

KH2129rulz 01-24-2007 02:17 PM

Lorrie, I realize it's not necessarily a death sentence. I'm trying to reassure my son. He actually overheard my wife and I discussing it. I wasn't going to say anything to him until after I was sure of something. These are basically the fears and concerns that are consuming my thoughts. I don't want to project this negativity on my family. I've always worn my heart on my sleeve and I guess I've always been somewhat of a pessimist. I guess I'm looking for a way to get my mind off it, but nothing seems to work. My family's emotional well being is as important to me as my physical, or medical, well being. We made a pact not to talk about it until something's confirmed one way or another. It's too cold for golf and NASCAR season isn't here yet, lol. That would help get my mind off it. One other thing that's really eating at me. I recently located my daughter that I haven't seen in 18 years. She's 20 and expecting in July. We are actually hitting it off pretty well. Her step father committed suicide when she was 13. She's had it rough. She's feeling good about having a father and I may have to drop this bomb on her. I've got alot on my plate (as far as worrying). I really admire the strength you all show. I guess I need to dig deeper than ever. I'm not a real religious man, but I've been wearing out God's ear. I'm certainly including all of you in my prayers. Just by posting on this forum today, I feel a bit better about the diagnosis. You've been thru it. I need to take your advice. I was trying to watch TV a little while ago, and guess what commercial comes on? Center for Cancer Care. LOL On the serious side though. If the diagnosis is LC, the Center for Cancer Care of Goshen, IN is supposedly one of the best in the Midwest, top 10 in the country. That helps knowing that. Thanks for letting me ramble on and like I said, you're all in my thoughts and prayers.

mabegb 01-24-2007 04:26 PM

ray~ i know all too well what you are going thru. iam 37 and a mother of two girls(11,13). iwas diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer almost a year ago. those same thoughts raced thru my head day and night.
finally after many prayers god has given me peace about it. unfortunately my cancer is very rare and there a virtually no treatments that are successful. although i am trying them anyway. iam not giving up. as you know there is too much to live for.
once diagnosed i took the kids to counselers and it helped. i am very up front and honest with them(to certain degree-i would never tell them the prognosis) but with the advice of the counselor they seem to better when you let them in on what is going rather than keeping it from them because they can tell.
kids are amazingly strong. somedays they are stronger than i am. i also informed there teachers at school so they could keep and eye to see if they seemd bothered by it or changed any. hopefully i am passing this on to you and you will never need it. god does give us incredible strength when we ask.
i dont know if this helped at all but i will be praying for you and your family and you can come and vent here any time. we all understand...........:angel: -melissa

cddckd 01-24-2007 05:41 PM

Hi, sorry to barge in on this discussion, but I need help. I was expericing heavy chest, numbness in hand and foot on left side. So I went to my primary care phys. and he did EKG in office, read results and sent me straight to heart DR. Heart Dr. does CT with contrast and has me wait for results. He shows me pics of my heart and sees narrowing in one artery, but not really concerned because it's not where the problem showed on EKG. So I leave thinking, Ok if he's not worried then I'm not. Well 9 days later they call with my CR results. (I thought I already had them) Well, I have a 50 % blockage in one aretery and they also tell me they did a full Chest CT and found an 8 mm noncalcified nodule in my lower left lung. But , don't worry. OK how do you not worry about this?????? I have smoked on and off for about 8 yrs. two or three to begin with and now up to pack a day. I also have high blood pressure ( controlled with meds.) My triglycerides are 350 (should be 149 or less). Just started diet and meds to control this. I'm not even thinking about the heart problem now ( even though it's on my Father and Mother's side) I can't find much info about non-calcified nodules. I did ask my primary care phys. which is more likely to be cancerous and he says non-calcified.. My husband and I have been married for 10 yrs. Feb 15, 2007 and six kids among us, ( yours mine and ours) youngest is 8. Help with any info would be greatly appreciated. Please anything about what you all have been through and know for fact. Thanks and God bless you all!

lorriem 01-24-2007 05:54 PM

cddckd
Could you ask your primary to reccomend a pulmonary doc to check that non-calcified nodules out . he should give you the answers you need.Good luck

cddckd 01-24-2007 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=lorriem;2761953]cddckd
Could you ask your primary to reccomend a pulmonary doc to check that non-calcified nodules out . he should give you the answers you need.Good luck[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I notice you are from FL, is this a risk we have in the south? I'm from AL. I had a chest xray couple years ago and nothing showed up. Have you had noncalcified nodule??? If so, what results did you have?

KH2129rulz 01-25-2007 05:54 AM

Thanks Melissa. Thanks to everyone on this board. You are truly a Godsend. After posting and listening to all you that you good people had to say, I woke up this morning feeling about 75% better. I'm still worried about the diagnosis, but it's no longer consuming my every thought. My mindset now is to deal with whatever it may be. If it is LC, then I know I'm in for the fight of my life. But I won't let it take me without a fight. I've fought thru adversity before, and won, so I'll just have to step it up a couple of notches. I've never faced anything like this, but somehow, someway, I know I'll find the strength. Also, Melissa, I plan on telling my children everything as soon as I get a definite answer. I couldn't leave them in the dark. They have a right to know. Right now I'm researching all I can. I'm devising a plan. If the good Lord's willing and it's something else then this research and expirience will be put to use. If I can help at least one other person, then it's all worth it. You should all feel really great because you've helped another person. Me!! If I hadn't found this board, I'd be a basket case by now. I have a couple of questions though. It seems as though I'm feeling every ache and pain my body has. Could it be my mind is playing tricks on me? Also, I've read that with the shortness of breath, you should sit up to help eleviate it. Well, it helps when I lie down. Either flat or on my stomach. Why backwards for me? Anybody else expirience this? Also, I've been getting short of breath more frequent. Every since the Dr. told me of the chest X-ray. Could that just be anxiety? Anyhow, I should get my CT scan results today or tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep you all updated. Again, thanks to ALL!!! You have already made a huge difference. Words can't begin to describe the grattitude. Ray