It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
(female)

tandijac HB User
Mom has infection

Hi, have not posted in a while as I have had major jaw suregry and been in hospital. To top it all, when i came out of hospital on Sunday, my mom was admitted to hospital the next day with an infection. ( she has stage 4 nsclc and getting chmeo treatment since Oct 06) The doc says that this is normal because of the hectic chemo which has made her immune system low. I am worried sick as she is in a hospital in a another city to where I stay and i am not really in the position to drive to see her because of my surgery. Mom says that she is on a drip and had a blood transfusion last night. She says she is very tired and is more worried about me recovering ( MOMS LOVE !!!! kids alwyas come first ) The only good consolation is this has put the chemo on hold for now until she is better. I want to try and get to see her oncologist next week to get some more answers as her and my dad never seem to get the answers that my sister and I want, perhaps this is their way of not wanting to confront the truth, wether it be good or bad. Can anyne let me know if they have experianced these infections and if this is part of the procees from the chemo ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

mabegb HB User
Re: Mom has infection

sorry to hear that you have so much going on at one time. i am taking chemo right now and have not experienced anything other than a upper respitory infection a couple of times but they give me levequin(anitibiotic) and then it seems to go away. but i have heard of others with more serious infections that require a hospital stay.
i try to eat right and take vitamin supplements to boost my immune systems as much as possible. i was able to avoid so far one-case of whooping cough,2-cases of pnuemonia and chicken poxs this winter so it must be working. but i think we just cant avoid everything or everyone that mwy have something.
i wish the best of luck to and your mom. i hope you heal soon so you can get back to helping her. but make sure you take a good amount of time for yourself to heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Hi-
Yes, my husband was hospitalized last Feb. with an infection...well, actually his was an abcess on his bottom! Oh, it was terrible and it was when his counts were really low and he also had to have a transfusion. He was in the hospital for a week and we also delayed his chemo even another week after he was released. The doctor was ready to start chemo, but I told the doctor (as my husband is not so honest with how he feels) he was still much too weak and he understood so the chemo was delayed.
Sorry you are going thru so much and now have your mom in the hospital. I am sure she is getting good care, but understand your concern! Heal fast so you can go visit your mom! You did not mention what type of infection your mom has???
Kim

Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
(female)

tandijac HB User

Hi Magbgebg

Thanks for the words of encouragment. It sounds as thogh you are really looking after yourself while having treatment. I must be honset, i think by mom just sits back with the attitude that because she is having chemo she must just accept what ever comes her way. Don't get me wrong, i just think that mom is not being procative enough in staying healthy, like you are doing taking extra vitimins etc. ( i know it is easy for me to judge as I am not in her shoes ). I will caht to her and ask her to please increase the vitamin intake and try a be a bit healthier, thanks for the advice and stay strong

Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
(female)

tandijac HB User

Hi Kimslos
Thanks for the reply, mom has an infection on the lung, from what i can undersatnd it is a pleuresy infection ( spelling ??? ) it is not quite water on the lungs but an infection of the lungs, shoooo, hope you understand ??? Mom also told me yesterday that she got a spider bite on her foot, ( must of been at home )can you believe it ???? and because her immune is so low the bite has become very infected so they are treating the bite in hospital as well. Mom and I were laughing on the phone yesterday because she said that when her and I do something we do it GOOD and STRONG, it never rains but pours with us. I am just eager to get healed now so that I can go through and visit mom, I also want to hear what the oncoligist has to say. How is your husband doing ??? Chat soon

Closed Thread