HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   Radiation? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/465683-radiation.html)

courtenaynt 01-25-2007 06:51 AM

Radiation?

Has anyone had radiation on their esphaohgus or trachea? My mom is slotted for 14 days next week to shrink a tumor that is wrapped around her trachea. Anyone know what to expect? We're terrified and have heard some bad stories. Any advice would be appreciated.

mabegb 01-25-2007 04:46 PM

Re: Radiation?

i had radiation on my throat and side and face. does she only have 14 treatments? if so that mey not be bad at all. i had 3 weeks this summer and 6 weeks 9 years ago. the 3 weeks was so much easier. just as some of the side effects were starting the treatments were over. some of the side effects may include the sunburn like rash on the skin(if it gets too bad they have cream you can use for it although i never needed it) then your throat can get rather sore. for the 3 weeks it just felt like mild sore throat when you get a cold. for the 6 weeks it was more severe. my throat was very raw and eating was difficult so i switched to a liquid diet(jellos,puddings,lukewarm kind of bland soups, etc) i also got a numbing rinse from my pharmacist to use before meals. i will be honest it was rough for a few weeks but it sounds like she wont have to endure that since it may be shorter.
i dont know if any of these has helped. also dont be afraid to let the staf know of any symptoms right away there a lot of things they give her to ease the effects. good luck to her and i hope it goes by quick and painless. keep us posted on her progress........melissa

courtenaynt 01-26-2007 06:37 AM

Thank you so much for posting. Yes, she has it for 14 days. I used to get strep horribly and they gave me lidocaine and it used to help, but you can't swallow that. I don't know. I will tell Mom what you said that it really wasn't too bad for two weeks. I hope it will shrink this horrible thing on her throat. She can't breathe and it's ruining her quality of life and her spirits.

Every day is so hard.

But good luck to you, too. I hope and wish the best for you.

mabegb 01-26-2007 01:46 PM

i completely understand where you are coming from. it is very hard. god will keep you strong. it really shouldnt be too bad for her. your right the lidocaine cant be swallowed but can be gargled. also there is something called aspergum. it is a gum you chew that helps numb the mouth and throat. you can ask the doc about if she needs it. my tumors shrunk considerable with the radiation which im sure it will do the same for her. blessings to you ....melissa

kicknit2 02-03-2007 07:40 PM

My husband is an 8 year survivor of small cell lung cancer, and had a ten centimeter turmor in the left bronchus. He had radiation, IV chemo, and oral chemo. Radiation did cause him to have an extremely sore throat, and the lidocaine gargle helped. Other than that, he had few side effects from the radiation, and the tumor had shrunk significantly by the time he had finished with six weeks of radiation. He had prophylactic radiation to his head as well as his chest, since the brain seems to be one of the first places that SCLC likes to metastasize. He did have the usual side effects expected following chemo, but his weren't nearly as severe as others had experienced.