It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

mabegb HB User
Question procrit

is anyone else having to get procrit injections while doing chemo. if so are you getting results with it. i am taking it every week but it doesnt seem make my red cell count any better. i guess it is not getting worse so maybe that is the point. i think i need to check it out more for a better understanding.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: procrit

My husband gets them when his red count is low, but guess they can only give once a week unlike the white count you can get shots every day for those low counts. Stans red counts are never within normal range and they don't worry about it too much. They are just a bit low all the time, but not extremely low. (just a bit below the normal range) Our doctor explained to us that each person is different and how they respond to the shots is up to the person's body and some people have great blood counts and others are shot after the first round of chemo and fight the entire time during chemo with the counts having to cancel chemo after chemo. Luckily, Stan usually has been good in that area and not had to cancel too many chemos, other than the last couple of weeks due to being weak and having thrush.
I hope some of that helps, but probably looking it up on the Internet might help. Good luck finding the information you need...oh, also ask the doctor.
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
(female)

mabegb HB User

thanks kim- i hope stan gets to feeling better..........blessings,melissa

Old 01-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Melissa, My mom also had to use procrit after starting Gemzar and Taxotere. Like Stan her RBC was always low and the procrit did not seem to make it come back up but maybe stopped it from dropping even more. Being that was her 4th line treatment I think her poor body was just wiped out from it all. She gave herself the injections as she did with the neupogen. She did not have to use either until she got to that chemo. Hope you are doing ok. I have not been posting much as I have so much to catch up on after 2 1/2 years of letting everything go to be there for my mom.You and everyone here remain in my prayers. JanMarie

Old 01-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
(female)

mabegb HB User

thanks janmarie-it is understandable trying to get some normalcy back. but it is great hearing from you . thanks again and best wishes...melissa

Closed Thread