HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   Do You think Nutrition & Exersize Helps? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/465987-do-you-think-nutrition-exersize-helps.html)

HELLASRULES 01-26-2007 06:01 AM

Do You think Nutrition & Exersize Helps?

Hi All,
Haven't been around for awhile, but not much going on. As you may know I was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC in Dec., with metastasis in the brain. I've had my craniotomy and cyber-knife radiosurgery. Now I am in a waiting stage to find out if the brain is all clear (will get an MRI 4 weeks from Cyber-knife) so chemo can start.
Getting really discouraged by this slow process of treating me. By the time I get any chemo, it'll be 3 months since i was diagnosed!! THat seems too long for me, but they say they have to treat the brain before they can treat the lung.
ANyway, while I have to wait around I am trying my best to eat a healthy, organic diet (as much as possible) and get excersize throughout the week (I've been walking a mile a day, several times a week. I take vitamins also. I quit drinking alcohol way back in October, and quit smoking the day they told me I had cancer.
So far, though, everything I've read about Stage IV NSCLC, is that it's a death sentence. And the best scenario is some months of extended life, and lessening of symptoms. Even here, I don't read very much about survival, or hope for a cure. And have never seen the word cure used anywhere about lung cancer.
[B]So I gues my question is this, do lifestyle changes at this point even make a difference??? Or is it just a hopeless situation?[/B]
Sorry to sound down, but hanging around waiting is not easy to do. (The brain tumor caused a visual defect so I can't even work or drive or act normal.)
Thanks for any input.
Hellas

jlenzmeier 01-26-2007 06:43 AM

Re: Do You think Nutrition & Exersize Helps?

I am no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. My mom was also diagnosed with Stage IV nsclc in December. I am curious why your doc said they have to treat the brain before the lung. My mom also has 2 mets to the brain and she started chemo the day after diagnosis. The following day she started WBR for 15 days. She handled it fine. I would maybe get a second opinion in that area.

I too am very discouraged by statistics on lung cancer but I try not to think of my mom as a statistic. She is doing really well right now and as hard is it is to do, I try to just take it one day at a time. Every day she is getting stronger and I thank God for that. I spend a lot of time on another message board as well and I have heard of several stage IV survivors that are doing great right now. I try to focus on that.

jeaniek 01-26-2007 11:42 AM

[COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Hi Hellas!
Please try not to get discouraged about waiting for the chemo.
My father was diagnosed in May/June with Stage 4 w/mets to the brain. When he finally started treatment, they treated his brain first., so I don't think that it is uncommon to do this. He was not a canadate for surgery due to the amount and location of the tumors, but instead they gave him radiation for about 8 weeks. After this was finished, he started his rounds of chemo. He just finished the last of his 6 rounds, and we're waiting for an update from the doctor on what to expect next. But he is doing good - even living again on his own - almost back to his normal daily routine prior to the diagnosis.
I'm far from being an expert on the topic, but I am a believer in nutrition and vitamins to help with what ails you. I don't believe that they are a "cure-all" but will definately help with all the toxins that your body will have to deal with during treatment.
I have a book on nutrition and cancer and it seems like green veggies are best for cancer. There's several nutritional suppliments they suggest for use, I'm at work at the moment and can post more tomorrow for you if you'd like.
I think excersise is good too - it doesn't have to come in a form of a killer 40 minute workout lifting weights and running a treadmill, but even a nice walk around the neighborhood, will help raise your immune levels and help your body deal with the disease and the treatments better.
Now, if only I can get my dad to eat anything that resembles a veggie or workout even a little!
Great to see you around again! I wish for the best for you
Jeanie[/FONT][/COLOR]

Mike In NY 01-26-2007 12:11 PM

I've done some research regarding Nutrition & Cancer. I'm convinced that it does help. I remember reading about a Nurse with lung cancer that spread throughout the body and lost 1/3 body weight. Was sent home to die. A neighbor suggested a strict Microbiotic Diet (absolutely no fruit). This was in 1998 and she's still very much alive. I read many other survival stories through the use of Nutrition (again absolutely NO sugar which feeds cancer). I know that there's a book written on this subject but forget the name and author. A Stage IV patients best hope is Nutrition & Supplements. Look for books on Nutrition for cancer patients and look for one on the Microbiotic Diet. Fight the Cancer. I know this is easier said than done but others have done it and survived. If you could go to a Spa that's strictly Vegan/Vegetarian/Microbiotic that would be a giant step forward. Some of these place will first start you off with a 7 to 14 day fast to remove all the poisons and toxins from your body and then start the food program where you will learn what to eat, how to shop for the food and prepare it. I know of one in Florida and its very reasonable depending on the season anywhere from $1200 to $1600 a week which includes meals, lectures, exercise, etc. I'm sure they exist in other parts of the Country and many good ones in Mexico. Good Luck.

HELLASRULES 01-26-2007 01:02 PM

Hi All,
thanks for the speedy replies. I do have one book here called Beating Cancer with Nutrition, but seems kind of technical so not sure I'm getting enough out of it.
So after doing all these healthy things, I'm supposed to allow the doctors to poison me with cytotoxins. I've never understood that, and having a hard time with the concept. It's the chemicals in the smoking that caused my lung cancer, so now I'm supposed to add even worse chemicals into my system to try and kill the cancer without killing me. That's the size of it isn't it? The Purpose is to Kill the cancer without killing the patient?
Oh I'll do it, but hving had so many bad allergic reactions to other meds, I'm not very hopeful I will be able to tolerate the chemo.
THanks for the words of encouragemnet. I'm not ready to give up at the age of 51, but hard to stay upbeat and positve. GUess that's why I haven't posted lately. Didn't want to be down all the time.
GOd Bless everyone and love to know what you all are doing to up your chances of survival!!
Hellas :)

mabegb 01-26-2007 01:58 PM

hellas, i know what a hard fight this is. but you are doing the right things for yourself. my pulmonologist tried to help me get in to better shape before my chemo. i had a several month wait before treatment so he had get a staionary bike and use it everyday to help impprove my lung capacity. im working on the vitamins and nutrition. i do believe it helps with quality of life and helps your immune systems stay in tact so ther are many benefits. as for a longer life expectancy-i dont know. that is all of goal. i'd rather feel like i was doing for myself rather than sitting back and doing nothing. i wish you the best of luck.........melissa:angel:

Janmarie2 01-26-2007 05:39 PM

Faith, I am glad to see you posting as I have been wondering how you are. I don't get here everyday but have some time before work. I think nutrition and exercise are probaby not looked at enough by the medical world. I wish they would as I do believe they make a difference. They should give you a better quality of life during your chemo and hopefully more quality time. When I see the huge difference nutrition has made in my parents dog with Lupus I know it can help with so many diseases. ( The vets just gave him pills and they did not help much so I changed his diet and he is doing so much better..never got these results from pills!) I have met a man that has stage IV NSCLC and made nutrition and supplements apart of his program with chemo and Tarceva and right now he is NED and has been so for over a year.

I know all the waiting involved is hard to take but I am sure they need to know your body is strong enough to handle the chemo. Hang in there and know you are in my prayers. JanMarie

CKP 01-26-2007 07:30 PM

Hi Faith,

First and foremost, please don't pay attention to statistics! Even the good ones, the ones citing a decrease in cancer deaths is from 2003! They are all outdated and do not take into consideration all the different variables that go into these statistics.
Second, as long as you are breathing there is hope. Every day they are making great strides in cancer research, even for us lung cancer patients that seem to be largely ignored by the medical community.
Third, surviving has everything to do with a positive attitude. No one ever beat this disease by being negative. That said, it is extremely difficult to stay positive all the time (at least for me)! I know I can't be positive every minute of every day, but I try to be as much as I can.
I try to eat right, I have cut out as much artificial junk as I can, and I exercise 5 times a week. This week I haven't been able to exercise since I did something to my back...I think it was moving my daughter into her apartment...but when I can I do exercise.
I take a multivitamin, an 81mg. aspirin, one antidepressant (2 kept me up at night so I cut it in half), 200mcg. of selenium and thats it. I'm not sure if the selenium helps or not but they are doing clinical trials and it won't hurt so I figured "why not?"
I have been cancer free since October 2005, 15 months.
Also, to technically be considered "cured" from lung cancer I believe the cancer has to be encapsulated and completely removed with surgery with no spread anywhere. I'm not explaining that very well, but I believe it would be a stage 1a. Unfortunately, most people don't find it until much later, which is why you don't read about "cures" very often. However, that doesn't mean if they are able to do surgery or get rid of the cancer with chemo or radiation that it will definately come back, just that it has a chance of coming back, which is why those people are referred to as "in remission" and not "cured".
I hope all of this makes sense and please keep in mind I am not a medical professional, I'm just explaining things the way I understand them.
Hang in there and I will keep you in my prayers.

Cindy

Kimslos 01-27-2007 10:20 PM

Hi Faith,
Happy to see a posting from you, but don't ever feel you cannot come to this posting board when you are down! We are here to pick you up! I don't have cancer, but see Stan struggling more and more everyday and he has outlived what any doctor thought he would so keep the positive attitude and I do think nutrition and supplements help, but I know at times you begin to doubt everything. I think it is Stan's positive attitude and is strong will to live that has kept him here with us!
I feel guilty at times being the caregiver and reading what people are going thru with cancer and feel helpless I cannot do anything to ease their pain and burden. I pray everyday that a miracle will come thru for cancer treatment, but in the meantime I try my hardest to enjoy my days with my husband and boys as I don't even know when my time will come.
Big Hugs!
Kim

Breatheherenow 01-28-2007 07:03 AM

Absolutely nutrition and exercise helps. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell adenocarcinoma the day before Christmas, she was expected to live 4 weeks if she made it through the weekend. It metastasized to her brain, lymph nodes and her femur bone. We got her on a high fiber diet, and after hip replacement surgery she is now able to walk. The dr said exercise is very very important to keep your muscles strong, of course don't over do it. especially if you have cancer in the bones. She is doing better than anyone expected, and I attribute that to salmon once a week(for omega 3's) lots of broccoli and carrots and fruits. now her life expectancy is over a year. and possibly longer if we keep up the good work.

HELLASRULES 02-02-2007 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=Breatheherenow;2768083]Absolutely nutrition and exercise helps. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell adenocarcinoma the day before Christmas, she was expected to live 4 weeks if she made it through the weekend. It metastasized to her brain, lymph nodes and her femur bone. We got her on a high fiber diet, and after hip replacement surgery she is now able to walk. The dr said exercise is very very important to keep your muscles strong, of course don't over do it. especially if you have cancer in the bones. She is doing better than anyone expected, and I attribute that to salmon once a week(for omega 3's) lots of broccoli and carrots and fruits. now her life expectancy is over a year. and possibly longer if we keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Breathherenow!
Great to hear more positive words. I start Chemo on the 15th, so am trying to do everything I can to up my chances. Despite the negativity of doctors on the subject of nutrition, I'm going to continue eating well and walking as often as I can, and taking my vitamins. How can that NOT help?
My best wishes to you mother! May she continue to do great!
Hellas