HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   Christmas In the Hospital (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/467762-christmas-hospital.html)

feetofclay 01-31-2007 08:39 PM

Christmas In the Hospital

My hubands was diagnosed with Stage 111a NSLC in November. They removed 2 different tumors in the same lung. One stage 111a and the other stage 1a. They could not removed all the cancer because it was near a large artrey and the cancer had spreaded to his lymph nodes. They removed several lymph nodes but two cancerous ones remain.

They have already told him he will need a feeding tube because he is so thin. I really don't know how to feel. I have yet to cry. We have two teenage daughters at home and I stay strong for them and my husband. He is in denial which makes it harder. I find myself researching more on how long he may have to suffer. Is this normal? I don't know what I feel.

mbaresi77 02-01-2007 05:36 AM

Re: Christmas In the Hospital

hi

your story sounds almost exactly like mine.. my mom was diagnosed with nsclc. They were not able to operated though as her tumor was wrapped around the artery's in her chest and the cancer went to the lymph note. Not to make you depressed but my mom was diagnosed October 12 and she only made it to Dec 19 a day after her bday.. Right now we blame it on her treatments. She was in chemo once a week and radiation 5 times a week, it really put a toll on her.. As now we think back was it the right decision. Would she have been here longer without the treatments, something that we will never know.. but in our hearts we think she would have, but then we think how long would she have suffered. That was something we didnt want her to go through, since she went through enough through her treatments.. So it's really your husbands decision. As it was my mom's that she wanted to go through it, thinking she would be here longer with us.. but in the end she wasnt... my prayers go out to your you, your husband and his family... it's in gods hands.. i know it's hard but be strong...

feetofclay 02-01-2007 07:45 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. My husband is scheduled to undergo the same treatment schedule. Chemo once per week and radiation 5 times per week.

He already has a bad liver from exposure to Asian Orange in Vet. Right now I don't know how to feel.

Thank you so much for replying

Kimslos 02-01-2007 08:34 PM

Hi
Oh I feel your pain and so sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. It is not easy, I won't lie, but on the otherhand, hopefully he can gain some quality time with you and the kids during treatment. As many of us have mentioned on this posting board, each person is so different as to his reaction to treatment. Amazingly, my husband has actually responded quite well and has outlived what any doctor thought! (granted we know things are looking gloomy, but he has been here 20months and they told him with treatment anywhere from 8-16 months!) He has a different type of cancer than your husband and there are so many variables...you just don't know. At first we were in shock since my husband was never a smoker and then we jumped into survival mode researching anything and everything. We also keep close to our faith, which I think has been a huge help for our entire family! You hang in there and hope you can enjoy some time with your husband on good days!
Kim

feetofclay 02-09-2007 08:54 PM

lump at base of skull

even though we know my husband has stage 111a lung cancer, I am concerned about a lump at the base of his skull. He has had a brain scan which was ok, but no one has tested the large lump. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I know lung cancer can spread to the brain

55ian55 02-12-2007 06:47 AM

My prayers are with you live each day as it comes cherish the days with your husband dont ever be negative, try to set some goals this is what my wife was doing and it helped. Most important is to have a strong support network and keep your own strength up. May god bless you and be with you. Ian