HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   So here's my story (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/469610-so-heres-my-story.html)

gynks 02-07-2007 09:25 AM

So here's my story

For the last year I have experienced pain in my chest, usually on the right side. I had a CT scan about 6 months ago that revealed a spot that my pulmonologist said looked weird. 2 weeks later I had a broncoscopy which came back normal, 3 months later had another CT scan, spot is still there and my pulmonologist suggersted I wait another 3 months and get a scan this March. He told me if he thought it was cancer he would do more invasive tests right now but he was confident it is not cancer. I am 33 y/o non smoker. Any thoughts on what I should do? Would the broncoscopy have picked up the cancer? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

SMB2006 02-07-2007 07:04 PM

Re: So here's my story

Hi goyanksjg, K have been experiencing more or less the same thing. I am also a non cancer aged 35. I have had chest pain on my left hand side and also in my upper back for over 4 months. I've had 2 x-rays which have both been normal. My doctor doesnt seem to be that worried about it but it is all I can think about. I have to go the hospital next month for some exploratory tests. I'm not sure what it is called but they will put a camera down my throat . what kind of pain do you experience. For me its not excrutiating pain, but feels like i've pulled a muscle. But it is there all the time and does not go away. My back can get pretty sore so I have to take strong painkillers.
For your situation, if it was me. I would do whatever is needed to definately rule out lung cancer. So if they can do more tests I would do them.

I think for me I am going to ask for a CAT scan just to check.

Take care

SMB

gynks 02-09-2007 04:05 PM

Nobody has any thoughts on my situation?

postiemayer 02-09-2007 08:24 PM

My husband has small cell lung cancer and he had no pain. He had pain in his right side and they did a ct scan to figure it out and then found out he had cancer that had already spread to his liver, hence the pain. If you have had 2 ct scans already and it has been 6 months but nothing looks larger I would suggest you continue having the scans. My husband had a chest x ray in march which looked clean but by Nov. it all showed up. There is something called a PET scan which is ghastly expensive but it shows cellular changes which is something the ct scans dont show. Not being an MD I can't give out any medical advice other than to stay on them and perhaps demand a biopsy of the area. Good luck to you, I will be praying it will just be some flukey thing and that you will live many long and good years since you have avoided the demon tobacco. My husband smoked his whole life (still does). For him it is not surprising. Bless you, and keep positive thoughts as much as you can!!

Janmarie2 02-10-2007 12:32 PM

I can comment on the broncoscopy. The scope can only see and take samples from tumors that are actually in a larger airway. If the tumor is down in the smaller airways the scope can not reach it and doing a "washing " may not get the necessary sample either. I would assume since they did on on you that spot is reachable withe the scope? If they did get a good sample of the tissue from that spot they should be able to tell if it is cancer or not but do not forget no test is 100% foolproof as there are alot of variables in the procedure and how the sample was handled and tests run.

Sorry I don't know what to suggest as you are having scans and had the broncoscopy done. I don't know if they would be willing to do a PET scan or not and even if they did an area of infection could light up like caner. Hope you can find some answers soon as all the stress this seems to be causing you is not good.Hang in there. JanMarie

dragonfly05 02-11-2007 01:02 PM

I'm sorry you are going thru this! I am 27 years old and 2 years ago they found something on my right lung by accident. They did CT scans and a PET scan and both led them to believe it was just a hamartoma...but they couldn't rule out cancer 100%...although they were pretty sure it wasn't. So, after two years of monitoring it by CT scan....it showed growth. From what my pulmonist told me, if a scan hasn't changed after 2 years...it generally means it is benign. Since mine changed, they removed it. The pathology report came back as a benign hamartoma...just like they thought.

So, my advice is maybe to ask for them to monitor it over a 2 year period? I am not a doctor, however this was my experience. I hope that everything is okay.