It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Patsy and Tarceava...All Okay?

Hi Conan,
I have not been on the posting board lately due to me having yet another sinus infection, Stan not doing as well and Anthony's volume of schoolwork and spending a little bit more time at our business.
Stan is struggling more with pain and we will meet with the doctor on Monday and see what he says. My thoughts are not to keep pusing chemo if his pain is worse, but want to see what his doctor's thoughts are and then see what Stan thinks he will want to do. Stan has had 3 sleeples nights in a row with severe pain. I am praying tonight will be good for Stan so he can rest. You know he won't take anything stronger than Vicadin.
The big question...how is Patsy doing on Tarceva?? I have thought about Patsy and praying she is having good results!
Keep us posted when time allows.
May God Bless you and your family,
Kim

Old 02-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
(male)

conan1017 HB User
Re: Patsy and Tarceava...All Okay?

hey Kim-

I feel so out of touch with my friends on the board right now. I am glad I checked to find your posting. The problem is I have people calling me for stuff fatser than I am able to get thing set-up.

I am so sorry than Stan is struggling with pain like he is. I try to think what it would be like to be in your shoes ...I think I would be frustarted from feeling so helpless. I wonder why he resists stronger pain killers. When Patsy was in the hospital I know that sometimes her pain was somewhat out of control ...but we kept trying something , the right dosage ...until we found something that worked. Pain that keeps you from sleeping is the worst kind. While I can appreciate someone not wanting to be doped up with pain killers ...I think the alternative of not sleeping and the emotional impact of being in constant pain is the worse of two evils. At any rate, both you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

I'm not too sure how Tarceva is working. She has been on tarceva for almost 3 weeks now with the only noticeable side effects being a slight acne rash on her cheeks and some dry skin. So she is tolerating well, but still as fatigued as usual. Her pain level has not changed either, so I am not sure how to tel if it is working apart from getting scans. We go back in on Wed. for an appt. and for Zometa, so maybe they will fill in some blanks. ....oh I should have known that if I tried to post the walls would fall down around me. I gotta run, hope to catch you later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Hi Conan,
Sorry I overlooked your posting. I also have not been on much lately and did not see your posting. I have a question...you mentioned about Patsys pain...is she on pain meds daily and if she is what does she take? Have you asked the doctor about if her pain is not decreasing does that mean the Tarceva is not working. Stan had always known when a chemo worked since his pain was relieved. I remember one time he got 30% reduction in his cancer and he was feeling great with little pain. (oh, how I pray for a day like that for Stan!)
How many Zometa treatments has Patsy had? You need to monitor those as I think I have mentioned before if you have too many you can have a jaw problem. (not a simple problem either) Stan's doctor had to stop giving Stan Zometa a while back as he was concerned. (just heads up for you and one more thing to follow up on)
Sorry to hear last time you jumped on to post the walls fell down around you! My boys are sleeping right now as I am still waiting up for the doctor, but guess he might not call back until the morning. (not happy with that!) Stan's doctor is not on call this weekend so we don't get a prompt call back.
As always you and your family are in my prayers,
Kim

Old 02-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
(male)

conan1017 HB User

Hi Kim-

I sincerely wish things were better for Stan. I know that his pain is causing you pain and the boys as well. Oh I wish I had an answer for you. I just hope and pray that you recieve a answer soon.

Patsy is taking 10 mg of Oxycotin extended release (approx. 12 hours) 3 times daily, morning, mid-day and night. If she has any pain beyond that, she wil take 1 or 2 Oxycodone 5 mg every 4 hours as needed. That has been successful in controlling her pain. Has Stan tried either of these? They tried morphine with Patsy first, but she had bad reactions to it.

Please don't feel bad about missing my posting as I have not been very consistant myself. I'm just trying so hard to do everything that might make things better and it seems as if things are only getting tougher. So aside of being busy and extremely fatigued and am sorely frustrated. And if that was not enough, my mother is having a biopsy tommorow to determine if she has cervical cancer. ....thanks for allowing me to cry on your shoulder with all you are going through.

On a lighter note, I am so proud of my son Shayne (16). I told him the other day how proud I am of him ....how I can depend on him more than any other person. He has matured so much ...beyond what I would dare take credit for.

gotta run...

conan

Closed Thread