It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

2weimies HB User
Lung Nodule POsitive PET Scan HELP!

I am new here ,but here is my story.
The nodule is visible ON PET Scan ( larger than previously thought) now 8mm x 9mm and apparently ' did Lite up" with moderate uptake..... They said if biopsy is deferred than CAT scans should be done at regular intervals to monitor the stability of this nodule"
Although the spot where its located is atypical for malignancy they cannot exclude it.
I also have pictures and its quite apparent. This was a preliminary report so I slept on it...
I think that the rational for doing the PET scan was to see if there were any cancer cells ( those that suck up the glucose) "uptake"....so I wondered is it ever possible that something can "uptake" and not be cancer???
I can't seem to find that info anywhere........

If anyone is going to do any biopies or whatever I want someone who knows what the hell they are doing.
Of course Hopkins just creeps me out as they nearly killed me with the PE.
This was something I was not expecting cause the pain in my chest subsided and the pulmonologist said it would definately come back negative ( we never discussed what would happen if it didn't)

The pulmonologist wants to refer to a thoracic surgeon.I freaked out. She said they will have to go in and remove it ,cannot be biopsied and if its cancer they'll take the entire Lobe! I could not breathe(this was over my cell phone)I hung up and left work crying.I am going to (I think) get a second opinion) from a pulmonologist oncologist type doctor probably at Hopkins. When I managed to eek that out she agreed I should go wherever I felt most comfortable because no one was going to tell me it was not cancer(might not be)but either way according to her it must come out. I was thinking that when I had suspected OVCA I had a gyn/oncologist do that exploratory surgery that netted me a PE last year.. No cancer either so it probably never needed to be done, I am all for avoiding uneccessary surgery.
I don't think I'd survive another major surgery and the pulmonogist suggested I get Breathing tests done or lung function tests or something like that. I am stressed......
Does anyone have a similiar story with a happy ending??
I am a Non smoker who is married for 20 years to a smoker. Go figure!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: Lung Nodule POsitive PET Scan HELP!

Hi
Sorry for the frustration you are going thru. Yes, I would go for a 2nd opinion and then you can figure out where to go from there. I am not sure about the "uptake" being anything other than cancer...sorry but think that is a good question for a doctor.
I wish I could help you with a happy ending, but you still could be and you won't know until you get a 2nd opinion. Have you scheduled one yet?
My husband was a nonsmoker who lived in a house with parents who did not smoke so you really being to wonder! (never really exposed to 2nd hand smoke either)
Kim

Old 02-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
(female)

2weimies HB User
Re: Lung Nodule POsitive PET Scan HELP!

I have been trying to schedule a second opinion at hopkins but the receptionist ( gatekeeper) says doctor must first see all my films and reports so I deleivered them to her personally on thursday and she missed seeing the doctor on friday so I wait..I am becomming totally unnerved by all that I read and research. Thanks for replying .

Closed Thread