It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
1st Treatment with Carboplatin/Taxol

Hi all
Well had my first chemo on Thursday the 15th. Did ok with it, although the past 4 days I've felt kind of queasy and flu-like (achy legs mostly). Didn't have much of an appetite either, but am eating just the same! Just really hard to move off the couch and function normally.
Since I woke up feeling better today, I am hoping that phase has passed and I am on the upswing of feeling better till the next round of chemo on the 8th of March.
ANyone else given compazine for the nausea? Do you think it works? Not sure it works all that great IMO. I'd rather not have stomach pain and the queasies at all!
Well just popped into say hi. Didn't feel much like doing anything these past few days which kind of scared me. Hate the thought of feeling that yukky for the whole course of treatment. Please tell me it doesn't do that!!!!
Hi to all and God Bless!
Faith

Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: 1st Treatment with Carboplatin/Taxol

Hi Faith,
Sorry to hear of the upset stomach. Stan has not been given the medicine you spoke of for the upset stomach, but Zofran. The Zofran does wonders for him and always kicked in. I would mention to the doctor that the compazine is not working and they can always try something else. I know some people that had to try several different types before they found the right one to help them out. If I remember correctly when Stan was on the Taxotere and Carbo he was very fatigue and complained of achy/sore legs. I have lost track of all the side effects from each chemo he has had since he is on his 5th line. I also remember his eyes would water and it would look like he was crying.
You get some rest and thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are doing. As far as feeling yucky, I remember Stan would be knocked down for a while and then he would start feeling stronger as the weeks passed. Appetite was also a problem, but soups usually helped. (everyone so different)
I will pray you stay strong during this chemo and you feel better,
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Faith, Glad to hear your first dose is behind you. When My mom had Taxol and Carboplatin it would wipe her out for a few days then she would start feeling better and of course it would be time for the next dose. If I recall correctly as it was back in 2004 with each dose the fatigue lasted a bit longer. Being new to that and hating to sit around I think my mom would try to push herself too hard and end up with more fatigue. We tried to take over doing everything for her, shopping, cleaning, driving, cooking and that made her feel like an invalid which she hated so she informed us that she was going to do the cooking. ( maybe our cooking wasn't good enough? HA!)

I remember a childhood friend of my mom's coming to visit and my mom insisting she come to the airport when I picked the friend up. I had to use a wheelchair as my mom could not walk that far due to fatigue and shortness of breath. Later that day my mom went into the kitchen to make dinner and it was difficult to watch as she had to hold on to the counters so she would not fall down and her friend came up to me and in an angry tone said " why don't you go help your mother she is too weak for this" I told her " No way am I going into that Kitchen as my mom will get real mad if I do" I explained to her how cooking though difficult was the one thing my mom felt she could still do and taking that away from her would be a huge mistake as we had tried before. My mom feared being an invalid the most and if cooking helped prevent that from coming true by god she was going to cook.

After her 4th dose the doctor decided she needed a chemo break and told her go out and have fun and she looked at him and said " How can I do that I feel too weak" He just looked at her like she was crazy . She continued like this for 2 months and then when we saw the doctor I commented on her fatigue and low grade fever and asked if she could have a pneumonia and or urinary tract infection and was told she had neither that it was probably just the cancer progressing so that is where I had to argue for tests. He refused the Xray but did the urine culture. We started bugging the pulmonary doctor and got the chest Xray and sure enough her right lung was a total white out due to an obstructive pneumonia and her urine came back positive for an UTI. While I think the doctors were thinking it could be the end for her it turned out to be her saving grace as he put her on antibiotics and started Iressa ( next month switched it to Tarceva which had just been approved) Anyway by the next day my mom was feeling better and each day got stronger and better and soon was back to doing everything. Bye bye fatigue! We knew the Iressa was working and that the next month the Tarceva continued and 2 months later her CT showed the right lung to be looking clear and the tumor to be almost gone and the liver mets shrinking some of them gone. It did eventually go away never to come back in the lung but we were not as lucky with the liver and mom continued to do well until that 4th line chemo Taxol and Gemzar. So yes you may have to deal with fatigue and laying on the couch for a few months but hopefully you will get your life back when this chemo is over and I tell this story so you can be on the look out for fever and infection as it seems like the doctors aren't always on the look out for you. I wonder how long my mom had them as they could have been part of the reason her fatigue got so bad.

Now for a little good news for everyone like yourself. I met a man last night that had Stage III NSCLC and had chemo and radiation and that ws 10 yrs ago. He has been in remission all this time so see it can happen so keep that in mind when you get your treatments and use it as a goal. Bless you all and hang in the Faith! JanMarie

Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Kim,
Good to hear from you and Stan's experiences with the chemo. Yes that achy legs (From the knees down) was exactly what I was feeling. Luckily today that is a lot better! I will have to check on other meds for the stomach issues. I told them in the first place I wasn't impressed with compazine, as it did nothing for my mother when she had cancer 28 years ago. But the queasies are better today too, although it did hit me some this afternoon. I'll see if they have something better the next time I go in.
Did Stan have an numbness in his hands? I get some and it comes and goes, but has been there a few days.

HI JanMarie,
Thank your for the storied about your mom. She sounds a lot like me! I hate being dependent on anyone. They stopped me from dring in the beginng because of the brain tumor and the possiblity of seizures...so I am just now starting to drive on short trips to the store. Haven't been able to work since the brain surgery on Dec.20th. So yes, independence is NOT an easy thing to give up. I'm sure I would've been great friends with your mom! SHe sounds like she was a fantastic lady.
Believe me I will be very aware of anything even suggesting an infection in my body!!! And thanks for th ewarning on that too. The chemo dept gave me some great books and literature on my chemo drugs and ways to handle the side effects, and what to watch out for, so think they are on top of things (I hope!).
That's great that you met that 10 year survivor last night!! Give us all hope!!
(Did he give you any tips for us??? LOL!!!)

Thanks Girls and God BLess you
Faith

Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,
Just wondering if the fatigue goes away inbetween treatments? Also, does it get worse with each treatment....like a cumulative effect? RIght now I'm taking 2 naps a day!!! I could barely mop my kitchen and bathroom floors yesterday and vacuum the bedroom and livingroom, without having to sit down! Thank the good Lord those are the only rooms I have and they are small!!!
Anyay I was just wondering if it gets better or worse? I live alone, so things still have to get done!
Thanks and Blessings to All!
Faith

Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Again!
Wll I think I answered my own question!! LOL!!!! I felt great all day! I didn't need a nap at all, and feel totally 95% better than I did yesterday! It's a miracle!!! I cooked, cleaned, shopped for groceries, went up and down the 2 flights of stairs 3 or 4 times. ANd only had one or two fleeting moments of the queasies!!! Hallelujah!!!
Oh and my doctors have told me I can now drive again!!!!! Since I haven't had a seizure from the brain tumor and it's been removed and I am on Dilantin to prevent seizures, I am back to driving!! YIPPEE!!!

Blessings to Everyone!
Faith

Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
(male)

conan1017 HB User

Hi Faith-

Thanks for sharing the good news. I think it helps us all to hear good reports.

Just the other day I ran across a LC survivor story on the American Cancer Society site who was a lady who responded really well to Taxol!! But she was at Cancer Centers of America, so she was getting a holistic approach that included a proper diet and supplements. I hope that it works as well for you as it did for her. God bless.

conan

Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Hi Faith,
I just took the liberty of finding posts by you since you hadn't been on the "eye" board in awhile, and I was worried about you.
Very glad to hear you're doing so well!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Faith, I have not been on the message board for awhile so decided to check today to see how everyone is doing and I am so glad to hear that you are feeling good. You go girl! I continue to pray that you do well and have more good days then bad during your treatment. JanMarie

Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Faith,
I see you posted almost a week ago so I do hope you are doing well and your energy has continued. It is also wonderful to hear you can drive! I hope you continue to do well and you respond well to the chemo...you are a true fighter with a true heart!
Hugs and Prayers for my dear Faith,
Kim

Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone,
I'm still hanging in there and feeling darn good! Have some tingling and weird sensations in my extremeties, but that comes and goes. Yesteray my hair started falling out a LOT!!! So will probably BUZZ that this weekend, if not sooner. Other than that and the little bit of blurreiness in the vision, I'm feeling fine. Hope it lasts as the next chemo is next Thursday.
COnan, I think we can all do the nutrtion thing, and I have a book on that by a man who was a nutritionist for the CCA, so I try to do all that I can, and we ALL can do that. We can't all afford to go to the CCA or logistically get there either, but I don't think they have all the answers either. Been hearing a LOT about how bad MSG is and how it's like "fertilyzer for cancer". Could be, who knows?
Thank You JanMarie, Serious and Kims for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. THey must be helping because I STILL feel good.
Kim, sorry to hear Stan is having a hard time with the pain meds and he is feeling down right now. He has my prayers, as do you and everyone going through this difficult disease.
God BLess You, Everyone.
Faith

Old 03-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Faith!
I wanted to send you smiles and hugs and some prayers for the weekend in hopes that you are feeling good. I know the first time I buzzed Stan's head it was rather emotional for both of us so keeping you in my thoughts this weekend. We had an appt. for a family photo and he was washing his hair and it was coming out so much all over the shower and then he went to blow dry his hair a bit and it went flying all over! We made it to the photographer and if you see the photo you cannot tell...whew, but the next morning I shaved his head.
Stan gets odd feelings in his feet/toes and hands/fingers on certain chemos. His left knee has been numb for about a year, but the right one is so so...odd and not sure what causes it.
You take care of yourself and know you are thought of a lot.
Kim

Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim, thank you for your kind words and checking in on me. Haven't been around since my sister was here for my 2nd round of chemo, and well...have to have some privacy still! She doen'st have to know all my thoughts and feelings, you know? So far I am doing ok, although the fatigue is pretty hard to take...and laying around is not my thing.
Been thinking of you and Stan and praying for you both.

qtee4eva....sorry to hear your mom has this miserable disease too. Seems there is just way too much of it out there, not only affecting the patient, but the people that love them just as much, if not worse. After my 1st round I noticed as I was feeling a lttle peppier...that the cough I had developed was a whole lot less! So I'm hoping this chemo combo is doing something worthwhile!! I'll find out with my scan on the 22nd of March and go in for the 3rd round on the 29th.
Hang in there and prayers are going out there for you mom, too.
Blessings everyone!
Faith

Closed Thread