It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User
Did any of you consider skipping chemo?

The reason I ask is because my father; who has stage II NSCLC had his lobectomy in December and then in January had 3/4 of his stomach removed for adenocarcinoma as well. All lymph nodes were clear in both surgeries. After speaking the oncologist; we were all under the understanding that chemo would be a conservative more than a cure treatment since he seemed to have been "cured" from the surgeries. The way we understood was that the chemo would only give him 10% more of a long term cure rate. So we are thinking why go through chemo if it only improves your odds by 10%.

What do you think? We need some opinions.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
(male)

easyrun262 HB User
Re: Did any of you consider skipping chemo?

Hi Daddy'slilgirl- It appears that the chemo option may be a potential, not guaranteed, 'added insurance' to aid in your fathers recovery. Your dad may have to weigh the 'added insurance' against the impact on 'quality of life'.

I prefer not to put too much creedence in statistics. The statistics give me a 2% chance of survival at the 5 year interval. Although I'm a realist, I rather see myself as a unique individual and not a statistic.

If the oncologist feels that chemo has the potential for benefit then why question? I wish your dad and his family the best... Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDY'SLILGIRL View Post
The reason I ask is because my father; who has stage II NSCLC had his lobectomy in December and then in January had 3/4 of his stomach removed for adenocarcinoma as well. All lymph nodes were clear in both surgeries. After speaking the oncologist; we were all under the understanding that chemo would be a conservative more than a cure treatment since he seemed to have been "cured" from the surgeries. The way we understood was that the chemo would only give him 10% more of a long term cure rate. So we are thinking why go through chemo if it only improves your odds by 10%.

What do you think? We need some opinions.
Hi Daddy'slilGirl,
I'm Stage IV NSCLC and sure I thought about NOT doing the chemo. For me it isn't going to cure my cancer, but is merely a palliative treatment. My cancer spread to the brain, so I just do what I can to UP my chances to live as long as I can!!
The problem as I see it, and it is only my opinion, is that all the tests that there are today cannot detect ALL of the cancer cells in the body. One cancer cell or maybe even one thousand cells are so small even the most advanced tests can't "SEE" them. So if I were stage II, yes I'd definetly choose chemo treatments. Cancer can be extremely aggressive and opportunistic, so I say do what you can to get rid of them.
Good Luck to you and Your Dad.
Faith

Old 02-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

delilah1963 HB User

My mother decided not to pursue chemo at this time. She was diagnosed w/Stage II NSCLC (adenocarcinoma) and had a lobectomy last Fall. The cancer was found in one lymph node out of a sample of about a dozen. Her quality of health as a result of the surgery, COPD, minor strokes, and sarcoidosis in the lungs has led her to believe it is not worth how sick it may make her (based on the fact that she is already in such a weakened state) without knowing it will cure her.

Regardless as to what we as family members think, we respect her decision and support it. I could have understood her position either way.

Best,
Del

Closed Thread