It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
(male)

conan1017 HB User
Tarceva/Cellebrex - combination therapy

Hello everyone - I just thought I would take a moment and share the latest development in Patsy's treatment. About 5 weeks ago Patsy started Tarceva (150 mg) once a day. Fortunately the side effects have been minimal. However there has yet been no obvious signs that it might be working, as she has not been feeling well and a swollen lymph node appeared. Some weeks ago I ran across an article on a clinical trials that paired Tarceva with Cellebrex, an anti-inflamatory drug for bone disease that inhibits the COX-2 enzyme. Generally about 10% of nsclc patients who try Tarceva respond it, but according to the trial adding Cellebrex upped the response rate from 10% to 33%. It was hypothesised that an excess of COX-2 (not uncommon in LC) could be interferring with the Tarceva, thus Cellebrex, a COX-2 inhibitor could be effective in removing the obstacle. So I brought it up with our oncologists and they agreed it was worth trying. I will start her on it tommorow and we will go back on the 23rd of March for a CT and examination.

Our clinic is at the Medical University of South Carolina, a teaching hospital. Our onc told us that they were conducting several clinical trials using Cellebrex in combination with other cancer therapies. Sorry ...I don't know any details. However, from what I have been learing about convetional treatments, "combination therapies" seems to be the wave of future research. Not so long ago "combination therapies" were considered to risky, but now are common place.

Kim-

I noticed you haven't been on in a while which has me concerned. If you get a moment, let us know how Stan is doing ...and how you are doing.

conan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
Re: Tarceva/Cellebrex - combination therapy

Thanks for updating us on Patsy and her treatment. That is great you did research and found out about combining the therapies. I don't know a lot about treatment for NSLC since Stan has SCLC, but still very interesting as Stan is receiving Gemzar which is not used for SCLC, but when they have exhausted all other options they start grabbing at something. I have heard of cellebrex, but not sure where so now I will do some reading. I do hope Patsy can start feeling better and you can see some positive results. I feel for you being the caregiver and trying to raise the kids, but at the same time I ache for Patsy too since I cannot imagine being a mother with such young children. I pray for some good results for Patsy. I know you carry a heavy burden Conan and you amaze me as so many others on this posting board do too! Thanks for keeping me going on my "tough days".
I have not been on in quite a while and I log on tonight and see your update...thanks.
Kim

Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Conan,I have heard of combining cellebrex with other cancer treatments and seeing good results. I will continue to pray for Patsy and hope this combo does some good for her. You two as many here are never far from my thoughts. JanMarie

Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Conan,
Spent some time reading about celebrex and based on what I read it sounds promising, but also sounds like it could help redcue any pain that Patsy is having. (made me think about Stan...hhhmm) Thanks for sharing.
I am in a hurry, but wanted to see how Patsy is doing. (and you too)
I thank you for being my posting buddy and never feel like you have neglected me. It is tough for me to get on at times so can imagine what it is like for you too!
Thanks for the wisdom you share with me as it gets me thru some tough times.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family,
Kim

Closed Thread