It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
(male)

alexjarv HB User
Gene Therapy

Hello, I have just found out that my father is possibly looking at having only a few weeks to live. He was diagnosed with a grade 4 sarcoma in his leg 2 years ago, he recently developed a cough and his results show a 5cm tumor where 1 month ago there was nothing. Unfortunately due to the position it cannot be surgically removed and will probably spread to his spine and his heart. Chemo wont work as apparently it wont dent this kind of tumor, what he wants to do is try gene therapy in china. it costs $20000 for 2 months but supposedly there have been good results with hopeless cases. I was wondering if anyone on here knows any more about this, knows someone who went through it? Im doing my own research on the net but I need to know more.
thanks
alex

Old 03-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User
Re: Gene Therapy

Alex, Sorry can't help you. Sarcoma is not really a lung cancer so must of us here would have no experience with it. I am assuming the tumor in his lung is a met from the sarcoma? People on this site are use to dealing with NSCLC which are usually adenocarcinoma, squamous cell and a few other rarer types and SCLC so sarcoma treatment is out of our league. Sounds interesting. I believe that gene type treatments and the newer biological drugs will one day replace chemo in most cancers. Have you posted on a board that deals with sarcoma?Maybe someone there knows something about this. Best of luck. JanMarie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: Gene Therapy

alexjarv, I'm so sorry to hear your father has this cancer. My father in law had it. It also started in his leg. The tumor grew so fast and so large it was
awful. Sarcoma does spread rather quickly and usually lands in your lungs.
He lasted 5 years with it before it took him. God Bless your Dad.

Closed Thread