It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

Sachae HB User
Lung and Brain Cancer

My husband has Lung and some Brain Cancer that they said spread from his Lung to the Brain, he just went through (5) days of radation treatments.

I was wondering if anyone has some good web sites for Chemo and the foods that will help a person going through it, as I know that it might be rough for my husband to go through and I would like to do whatever I may to help him feel better and prepare foods that he will be able to keep in his stomach.

Any help that can be provided, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sachae:
sad blue eyes (06-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
(male)

conan1017 HB User
Re: Lung and Brain Cancer

Sachae-

I don't know of any such site off hand, but I would say that general "good nutrition" will certianly help. My wife has trouble with her appetite, so I make sure she gets the supplements she needs. But when she was getting chemo she craved certian foods. We use to go to the Olive Garden after her treatments, but since she stopped chemo she hasn't craved the same things.

I honestly think your husband will be your best source. It is important that he eats, even if the menu isn't ideal nutrition. Health food fanatics will try to tell you that "sugar feeds cancer", but there is not clinical evidence of that. I do agree that too much sugar (glucose) is not ideal for optimal health, but it is energy. My wife has lost alot of weight, so while I wish she would load up on all natural foods ...I get her whatever she will eat.

God bless,

conan

Last edited by conan1017; 03-17-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Sachae
Well I have the same thing going on as your husband so have done a lot of looking around for the same things.
Lots of info out there, but I agree with Conan, that it's pretty much common sense. Nutrient rich foods, meaning lots of vegetables, lean meat, fish (especially those high in omega-3) and basically just healthy food. BUt I also agree that when the appetite isn't quite up to par, eat whatever he feels like.
Bad thing about the brain tumors is swelling and inflammation that might lead to seizures. So you want to try to keep his ingestion of sugars to a minimum, as sugars can (supposedly) cause inflammation in the body. And as Conan has said, no evidence that sugar feeds cancer, but it is very unhealthful. I've been using either stevia (pant based sweetener) or agave nectar, which has a low glycemic index. And they aren't all chemically like aspartame, and other artificial sweetners.
It's pretty hard to eat healthy for me as I'm not all that hungry on the chemo, and really do not feel like cooking much either. But hate prepared foods, so it's tough right now. Yogurt has been a daily thing for me. Easy to get down and has some good points to it. Also use that instant breakfast mix with soy milk for breakfast. Got to make sure you eat enough protein with this disease.
Anyway, wish your husband all the best.
Lots of great people here for help, so keep checking in and asking questions.
We all do.
Faith

Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

And by all means don't forget the Ensure. that stuff will give you what you need on days you don't really feel like eating!! the chocolate is really good, so says my MIL....LOL

Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

When we had trouble getting my mom to eat we decided to add calories to the Ensure by getting a chocolate shake from one of the fast food places then mixing the ensure with it, it made one big shake but she would suck that thing down in record time! JanMarie

Old 03-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
(female)

Sachae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan1017 View Post
Sachae-

I don't know of any such site off hand, but I would say that general "good nutrition" will certianly help. My wife has trouble with her appetite, so I make sure she gets the supplements she needs. But when she was getting chemo she craved certian foods. We use to go to the Olive Garden after her treatments, but since she stopped chemo she hasn't craved the same things.

I honestly think your husband will be your best source. It is important that he eats, even if the menu isn't ideal nutrition. Health food fanatics will try to tell you that "sugar feeds cancer", but there is not clinical evidence of that. I do agree that too much sugar (glucose) is not ideal for optimal health, but it is energy. My wife has lost alot of weight, so while I wish she would load up on all natural foods ...I get her whatever she will eat.

God bless,

conan
Thank you so very much, and i wish your wife all the best!

Sachae

Old 03-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
(female)

Sachae HB User

Just would like to thank all of you very much.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Hi Sachea, my mom had lung cancer that metastisied to her brain they put her on steriods to keep the tumours from growing, during that phase my mom had an unbelievable appetite and just loved her food. They had put her on antinausea tabs as well, she still ate well and we had her pretty well on a schedule breaky 9:00am lunch 12:00 dinner 5:00 as she got more treatment I noticed her appetite declining I don't know if that was due to not being hungry or lack of interest or if she just got full faster. She had oatmeal and orange juice for breaky; soup or sand for lunch; and what ever we were having for dinner she loved sugar-free ice cream, puddings for desserts or apples. I was giving her fibre tabs too due to her being less active she needed to keep regular. I did go towards the natural health food stuff's but don't know if it made a difference I would make her a protein shake with yogurt, fruit, protien powder and manganese juice (which is high anti-oxidant). I think as long as they keep up good nutrition for strength as long as possible is the main thing, she wasn't deprived of anything she wanted-she would just lose her appetite for certain things over time. I even made her sugar-free kaluha and she loved it on her icecream or just with milk. It's a time to be pampered. It's a tough road as well a very enlightening time caring for your loved one and helping the best you can and my mom appreciated it all so much. My blessings go to the both of you during this challenging time. Savor the moments together and have fun there are sunny days.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
(female)

moonmon HB User

I heard that lots of gren vegetables help. Esspecially parsley and spinnach.
I know it sounds gross but put alot of green vegetables in the blender

Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

Hi! I remember besides the ensure my mom loved drinking Gatoraide - the flavor she seemed to like was the orange - when she ate - she didn't eat too much...she loved icecream too! Cherie

Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
(female)

heartache35 HB User

My Dad was diagnosed w/lung cancer that had metastasized to his brain April 3rd of last year. Out of all the foods we've poked down him (bless his heart) in the past year, research and his energy level proved to us that red beets, asparagus, broccoli, and yogurt were helpful in nutrition and supposedly helping to keep his blood count up.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:07 AM   #12
(female)

gizmolove HB Usergizmolove HB User

Don't know where to post this but I need help
Husband has been told for almost a week now that CT shows 2-3 spots on the brain accompanied with brain swelling. They say that they will look elsewhere for spots as brain cancer comes to brain from somewhere else. They found a tiny spot in his lung. Did bio. Came back negative for cancer, but they are still convienced it's cancer as he has spots in lung and brain. They did not find cancer in the lung but they did find a residual toxicology called MRSA, it's a staff infection that he had last summer. They are not satisfied and still want to do another biopsy on lung (which could be stage 1 cancer at best) to prove that he has indeed brain cancer as a result of a spread by lung cancer. Please note, lung very small 17 cent. and large brain spot is over 30, so how can lung spot be so small and spread to the brain where it is twice as big now and 2-3 more spots than lung??? They have used Steroids to get brain swelling down to no effect. Then they found MRSA and are now treating him with special antibotics for MRSA, and I think brain swelling is going down but no recent (last 3 days) CT to verify.

They still have no positive lung bio or brain bio. The only positive is this MRSA that he had last summer, now in the lung. I believe that the MRSA is the cause of the brain swelling; the lump in the lung, the spots in the brain and the swollen limph knoods in the lungs. MRSA is spread vascularly like cancer, it clusters like cancer, it will cause brain swelling like cancer and is undistinguishable from a tumor when viewed by a MRI. Brain cancer is deadly, but so is MRSA and without bio on brain, how do I know how to fight this and why won't the so called professionals listen to me before it's too late? It could be cancer, it could be MRSA, or a combination of both. Or it could be MRSA along with non cancer tumors. But, they are ignoring the brain for now, (which is imparative and much more serious) and going in the lung again to get a positive biopsy (this time) for lung cancer. I am very frustrated.

They have brought in a neurosurgon, oncologist, lung biopsy specilist, but where is the expert on staph? After a week of this and asking him for a living will, POA and stateing their assurance of end stage brain cancer (and of this they are all positive), then finding no sign of cancer yet finding a look-alike, act-alike infection, but saying that this is irrelivent and of no concern,,,,,
we are all, about nuts!

Anyone here....have any ideas? I NEED HELP, AND TIME SENSITIVE.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmolove View Post
Don't know where to post this but I need help
Husband has been told for almost a week now that CT shows 2-3 spots on the brain accompanied with brain swelling. They say that they will look elsewhere for spots as brain cancer comes to brain from somewhere else. They found a tiny spot in his lung. Did bio. Came back negative for cancer, but they are still convienced it's cancer as he has spots in lung and brain. They did not find cancer in the lung but they did find a residual toxicology called MRSA, it's a staff infection that he had last summer. They are not satisfied and still want to do another biopsy on lung (which could be stage 1 cancer at best) to prove that he has indeed brain cancer as a result of a spread by lung cancer. Please note, lung very small 17 cent. and large brain spot is over 30, so how can lung spot be so small and spread to the brain where it is twice as big now and 2-3 more spots than lung??? They have used Steroids to get brain swelling down to no effect. Then they found MRSA and are now treating him with special antibotics for MRSA, and I think brain swelling is going down but no recent (last 3 days) CT to verify.

They still have no positive lung bio or brain bio. The only positive is this MRSA that he had last summer, now in the lung. I believe that the MRSA is the cause of the brain swelling; the lump in the lung, the spots in the brain and the swollen limph knoods in the lungs. MRSA is spread vascularly like cancer, it clusters like cancer, it will cause brain swelling like cancer and is undistinguishable from a tumor when viewed by a MRI. Brain cancer is deadly, but so is MRSA and without bio on brain, how do I know how to fight this and why won't the so called professionals listen to me before it's too late? It could be cancer, it could be MRSA, or a combination of both. Or it could be MRSA along with non cancer tumors. But, they are ignoring the brain for now, (which is imparative and much more serious) and going in the lung again to get a positive biopsy (this time) for lung cancer. I am very frustrated.

They have brought in a neurosurgon, oncologist, lung biopsy specilist, but where is the expert on staph? After a week of this and asking him for a living will, POA and stateing their assurance of end stage brain cancer (and of this they are all positive), then finding no sign of cancer yet finding a look-alike, act-alike infection, but saying that this is irrelivent and of no concern,,,,,
we are all, about nuts!

Anyone here....have any ideas? I NEED HELP, AND TIME SENSITIVE.
Gizmolove,
Have they done a PET scan? It could be a useful tool in trying to determine if the lung spots are cancerous. How did they do the lung biopsy? I had mine done through a bronchoscopy. Also, the tumors in my lung were small in comparison to the brain tumor. It is just that cancers in the brain that are metastasis tend to grow very rapidly due to differences in blood flow, brain tissue etc.
In the beginning what they found in my lung was too small to biopsy (5 mm) so I had to wait, and here I am at stage IV lung cancer.
So push for whatever tests could determine the origin of the cancer. Or you could opt for a second opinion.
Hope you get some answers soon.
Hellas

Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
(female)

gizmolove HB Usergizmolove HB User
Post Re: Lung and Brain Cancer

Dear Hella;
No pet scan. Found out this morning that the "lung biopsy" was just a bronchoscope done with least invasive method, namely a "scrapeing of the bronci walls". They found no cancer but scrapeing did hemerage which there think certain of their cancer suspicions. Got a toxcology of the old "MRSA" staph infection which they say is dorment but visitors are still under cap, gown and mask. They say the MRSA is dorment and not problem because no fever and normal white cell count. Just taking containment precautions now for visiters and not effecting patient. Yet today I have sore throat, lip sores like I'm getting herpes (cold sore), headache feel fever and chills. Also, itching and prickly like exema is comming back again on my hands arms and legs. All this "crud" is related, (in my mind as they are all first or second cousins).
Since the first "biopsy" was non revieling, they plan a (actual) biopsy tomorrow a.m. to get a piece of this knodule. He says is certain of lung cancer which has lead to brain and lung knode is small (17cent) whereas brain tumors are much larger. I said I don't get that, he said depends on where lung cancer spreads as to how big it gets and that the two have to be related and if they are it is untreatable, curable, not a candidate for surgery and faital. OK.
If all that is true and my husband has weeks or months at best of life....
Why care about "invasive vs non-invasive". Just go into the lung, remove half, find out for sure, and go from there. Get him out of the hospital and quit ******* around and give us at least a week in Hawaii.
It's so frustrating. They won't listen to tumor, benign. They won't listen to maybe a pocket of MRSA. And, they won't listen to maybe a combination of all three, one kind of tumor, maybe a cyst, a cancer unrelated, (cureative) brain cancer or any combination of the above. But, one thing is certain. If they are so darn sure that it's stage 4-5 lung/brain cancer? Then why not just get in there, find out, and give him a few days before the end comes instead of him sitting in a hospital bed, (when he feels fine)...and wasteing what little time he may have left? It's nuts. How can you know it's cancer when you have no confirming pathology?
Frustrated
But at least today the Dr. promised that if this biopsy comes back negative too? He will call in a staph specilist.
Thanks for your help and support.
And, PS: according to this doctors opinion, 17centameters is only stage one lung cancer very treatable. But, because it is the source of the brain cancer (as yet unconfirmed), it puts his cancer at stage five. (Hopeless). Because they say......"Lung cancer is incurable"...... NONSCENSE!
They don't know, and if they don't, how are we supposed to?????

Closed Thread