It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
(male)

dbirchum HB User
Can lung cancer be diagnoised from a CT Scan on the lower back?

Hi guys - just wondering...

I had a sports related injury on my lower back a while ago, and have been getting various treaments since (physio), etc. Anyway, to make a long story short, my doc wanted to take x-rays on my lower spine (L4/L5) to see if it was a disc issue. Came back fine. So I asked him for a CT scan. He said it would be a waste of my time as he didn't beleive it would show anything.

Then i get a call this morning from his office requesting to set up an appt. (easiest I could get was tomorrow lunchtime). Now I am freaking out. He was positive it wouldn't show anything. So did it show something on my back? That I could handle (a disc buldge, etc). But then it got me thinking...what if nothing showed up with the lower back, but something "else" showed up.....like maybe a sign of lung cancer or something ( I was a long time social smoker before xmas). I can't bare to wait until tomorrow.

Anyway, can signs of this type of cancer even show up on a CT scan of the lower back?????

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
(male)

DaveInVA HB UserDaveInVA HB User
Re: Can lung cancer be diagnoised from a CT Scan on the lower back?

My cancer was found totally by accident when I got a CT scan of the abdomen to check my prostate. The scan caught just enough of my lungs to find a 7.7cm mass. So if your lower back CT covered any part of your lungs it could find cancer (assuming there was cancer in that part of your lungs).
Hope your scan comes up clean...

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 05-03-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
(male)

dbirchum HB User

Gulp.

Thanks Dave. Thats what I was afraid of. Even though this is for my lower back, I am paranoid as to what they might have found...

Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
(male)

dbirchum HB User

Anyway, the CT scan results were all disk related (herniated disks, etc). I will have to take it to the next level. Thanks for the information.

Closed Thread