It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

Sachae HB User
Re metastatic lung cancer: stage 4

I am hoping that maybe someone knows someone who has this type of cancer, my husband also has it in the brain, because this type of cancer spreads, he is going for Chemo, he just finished his 3rd one, they have him scheduled for 3 more, and he did go for 5 radiation treatments, the Dr. told him when he delivered the news that he had Cancer that he had about 6 months to live, why they do that I do not know, my husband is fighting so hard to try and beat this, but as time is going by, I am starting to accept the end it was mid March when we found out, and I see how thin and frail he has become, and also his hands have a slight tremor (sp)? and his head.

I really do not feel that he will make it much longer, and I have come to accept it, because this is not the man that I married, this is a shell of the man, I married, as he forget things, his balance is not the best, he has not fallen.

If anyone has gone through this I am hopping that maybe you can share your story, it is very sad, but I have come to terms with what to looks like the end long before I ever thought it would.

Warm regards:

Sachae

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pbj11 HB User
Re: Re metastatic lung cancer: stage 4

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Does he has NSCLC or SCLC? (Non-small cell lung cancer or Small cell lung cancer.)

Did they do radiation on the brain mets? If so, it can have a after-effect of fatigue and some mental confusion that will clear up. It seems that 5 treatments for brain mets isn't all that much.

What type of chemo is he on? Chemo also causes fatigue.

Stupid Doctors!!! Please go get a second opinion and find an oncologist who is aggressive and will work with the two of you to fight this cancer. There is no cure, but there can be many good years for your husband. He needs to eat, eat, eat. Give him anything and everything that has high calories to bring that weight back. His survival depends on it. Make sure he stays well hydrated also.

My husband is stage IV NSCLC, and although it hasn't been pretty, he is at 26 months from diagnosis. His quality of life isn't what it used to be, but he does okay for himself.

You need to become a strong advocate for his welfare and give him hope to push forward. He wants to fight and needs everyone in his corner.

Let us know more details and we can help more.

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

My mom had stage IV NSCLC with liver mets. After being told 6 month survival with no treatment and 6-12 mo with treatment she opted for the treatment and made it 2.5 yrs. The first few months with Carboplatin and Taxol were rough in that the chemo left her very weak and fatigued. Then she got a 2 month chemo break at which time she developed a pneumonia and urinary tract infection that her oncologist did not pick up on. She had a low grade fever and just did not perk up like she should have during that chemo break so I pushed the doctors and got the tests as I suspected she had one or both infections and it turned out she had both and could have become septic and died and would have been one of those 6 month stastics!

At that point she was started on Irressa ( and antibiotics for the pneumonia and UTI) and switched to Tarceva the very next month as it had just become available.We knew almost within days that the drugs were working as she started feeling better and soon had her life back as she felt that good. At the end of the 7 months the Tarceva had destroyed the tumor in her lung and it never came back, at first it did away with some of the liver mets but now there were some new ones so it was back to chemo. She opted for Alimita and we thought back to feeling fatigued but that did not happen and I think she was on it for about 7 months and continued to feel great, people could not believe she had stage IV cancer.When Alimita stopped working she went on Taxotere and Gemzar. This was a rough chemo for her as it left her VERY fatigued and finally about 8 months later in Oct 2006 she decided she had had enough as she did not like living and not being able to do anything so she opted to quit the chemo and died Nov. 25th, 2006. The hospice doctor felt she would live much longer then she did as the liver mets were not life threatening yet and the lung tumor was gone , she did develope some bone mets in her last CT which was done about 2 weeks or so before she decided to quit.We think she died of a pulmonary embolism which is common when people do not move around much. In a way it was a blessing as she died quite peacefully at home with the family with her. She never suffered all the pain that so many others here have.In mant ways she was blessed during her cancer. She was 80 when we found out she had the cancer and the oncologist told her at her age she might not want to treat the cancer as chemo was tough on elderly people, well we did not find that to be true and we are all grateful she opted to fight it as we had 2.5 more years with her and over 1.5 of that was very good quality time.

I have not posted as much these past few months but do try to visit the boards and post when I have time so thought I would share my mom's story with you. I will add you husband to my prayers and as I tell everyone else no one but God knows how much time any of us has left here on earth and doctors are not god. God bless you and your husband. JanMarie

Old 06-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

mabegb HB User

sachae~ i too have metastatic lung cancer stage 4. where is your husbands
original site? i have something called acc()adenoid cystic carcinoma). a very rare and incurable cancer. there are really no treatments available (although they are still trying chemo) but it is not working.

i have never asked how long i have nor has a doctor told me(which im very grateful for) i'am under no illusion that i will survive it but im going to be here for as long as i can. i have two children that need me for as long as god allows me to be here.

i will keep you and your husband in my prayers. i know it is hard to keep a positive attitude but it will carry you very far in this battle.

melissa

Old 06-07-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Sachae
I have Stage IV metastatic NSC lung cancer, with mets to the brain, and maybe some in the liver also.
I'm at a different point I guess, and I suppose where the tumors are located and how late it is when diagnosed makes the difference of how the patient feels. I'm doing well. I feel well. I'm still undergoing chemo, which should be done on the 21st. The chemo was working after the 2nd treatment. I haven't had a scan since, so not sure where I stand at the moment.
I had the brain mets treated with removal of the largest one (2.cm) and after that had cyberknife to "zap" the 2 tiny ones and all around the tumor where it was removed. I get an MRI on monday of that area.
I get so angry when I hear doctors just telling someone they'll only have so much time left. They aren't God. I find these doctors inhumane. All mine said was it's treatable, but not curable. That is devastating enough to hear.
Everyone experiences this differently, so it's hard to know exactly how each person will respond to treatment and to the cancer itself.
I just keep us all in prayer and believe in God, not doctors.
Faith

Closed Thread