It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

jeaniek HB User
Another battle lost

My father - Gene - lost his battle with Cancer this morning at 6:30. He passed on very peacefully under hospice care at my home surrounded with his family. It was a very emotional and loving experience.
His passing was not unexpected, but how suddenly it happened was. He became very unresponsive yesterday and just started slipping away since. Because of his brain mets, the nurse believes that he stroked which cut off his nerve scencers, which was a blessing - He looked very peaceful and comfortable during his transition. It was like he was going to get up and start arguing with us because we had him on oxygen or because he was unhappy about something - but of course that never happened. As much as you prepare for this moment, it is very difficult when the time comes. I find peace that we were able to be here and care for him and make his time as comfortable and as easy as possible.
Thank God for hospice and the very caring nurses, as they've been wonderful during the last several weeks and I'm not sure how I could've managed without their help. It's been very tiring today - was up all night and most of today - making arrangements, cleaning, and having family over. Think it's time for me to sneak in a nap before it gets busy here again. Just wanted to let everyone know that our battle is over and my father is free of pain and suffering now.
God Bless
Jeanie

Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: Another battle lost

Jeanie,
You have my deepest and most sincere sympathy on your dad's passing.
There are no words I can say to ease your sorrow, but it surely is a blessing that he passed in peace and calm.
My prayers are with you and your family.
Faith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

jc0421 HB User

I am sorry for your family's loss. It sounds like he was a lucky man to have all of you at his side.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
(female)

Ayre HB User

My sympathy and condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss. Lots of prayers and hugs at this time.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

marjha62 HB User

Jeanie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your fathers passing. Take care of yourself, get some rest. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Mary

Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rockie HB User

Jeanie, I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Heaven has received another angel. It was comforting to know his passing was peaceful. Please take good care of yourself. Rest. Eat. And look up at the stars tonight and see another new star twinkling up there.

Hugs and prayers,
Jan

Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
(female)

jeaniek HB User

Thank you everyone so very much for the wonderful words and wishes. They really mean so much to me - thank you~
I managed to sleep on and off yesterday, and was able to eat a little. I came into the living room this morning in a sleepy fog thinking that he would be up waiting for breakfast and our morning chat. And instead, today we meet with the funeral director and finalize everything.
I really do find comfort in the fact that he was surrounded by his kids and his sister during his final moments and we were all here to share these moments with him - and it was extremely peaceful for him. I am very proud to have spent the time during his battle with him, I learned much about my father including the deepest respect and love for him.
Jan, I did sit under the stars yesterday thinking and it made me glad to know he is with his parents hopefully looking down on us and happy.
Thanks so much everyone
Take care~
Jeanie

Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

pbj11 HB User

Jeanie,

My sincere condolences on the loss of your father. May God's peace be with you during this time.

PBJ

Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Jeanie,

My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. I am gald to hear that your dad left this world in a peaceful fashion with family around him as did my mom. I too found comfort in knowing that I was here to take care of my mom at the end. To be able to send a soul onward in its journey with loved ones all around just feels right to me. Take care of yourself and find some "me time" as being a care giver is hard work and leaves you exhausted.

I hope you and your family find comfort in one another and in friends, Bless you. JanMarie

Old 06-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

Jeanie, My thoughts are with you and your family. What you wrote in what it was like as you watched your father in his final moments sounded like the day my mom passed away. I have to agree with on hospice-thay are wonderful in making it easier for not only the patient-but they are there for the family. Peace, Cherie

Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Jeanie,
I was so sad to read about your dad. I guess I was relieved though to see he did not suffer in the end and it was peaceful. May you cherish the memories and stay strong.

You have always been so kind and thoughtful to me on this posting board...thanks.
Kim
I

Old 06-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
(female)

jeaniek HB User

Thank you for the wonderful words - it's been busy around here - we had the services Wens and the burial on Thursday. The services were very nice - we found a ton of old photographs and put them in frames around the room to help celebrate his life. Many candles and flowers were placed in the room and my father looked so very peaceful. We had the services in the old neighborhood where I grew up and so many people stopped by (many of which I haven't seen in years). My father is buried a few feet from his parents (both of which have passed several years ago) in a very beautiful cemetery, on a hill overlooking everything. It's still tough to think that he's gone and today I felt myself second guessing myself - should I have taken him to the hospital, would he still be here? That is the worst, to wonder...I know deep down that it wouldn't have changed how sick he was, and I don't know why I'm questioning it...this week I have the task of sorting through his belongings
Thank you to everyone - I really appreciate all the kind words and wishes you have sent my way.
Lots of hugs and good wishes
Jeanie~

Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
(female)

postiemayer HB User

Just wanted to drop a line to say how sorry I am for your loss. May you find peace and may happy memories blot out any bad ones. Your father was blessed to have such a peaceful transition. God bless and keep you.

Closed Thread