It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User
First Post...

My dad has stage 3b inoperatable lung cancer. Right now is he in his 3rd week of chemo and radiation. His schedule was for the first and last week to have chemo and radiation every day, in between he has chemo on Monday's and radiation everyday. We just where advised that since one of the tumors are near his spine that he may need a wheelchair AND the same tumor is also settling right behind his windpipe. He has the mouthwash to prevent mouth sores and also has the mouthwash to numb his isophiciss (sp?) in case it gets to sore to swallow. We find out next week if anything spread to his Brain.

Right now my family and myself have good days and bad days ,he is holding up pretty well for 3 weeks the only thing that seems to bother him is dog smell other then that he is fine. I don't know what next week brings = ( I'm scared, I know everyone is different in how they react to the meds.. Mentally he seems to be fine was well, the only time he broke down is when he saw 2 babies getting treatment the same time he did.

I don't know what to expect here, does anyone have any advice to give to me or an expierence of there own??? I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: First Post...

Hi Dee-nah
Sorry to hear about your dad. I know it's hard for him and all of the family to hear that diagnosis.
As for your questions, every patient is different in how they react to chemo. What side effects they have etc.
If your dad's overall health is good and no major medical problems he will probably tolerate the chemo ok. And the doctors will keep a close watch on him, his blood counts etc.
I have Stage IV Non small cell LC. Other than that I was alwas pretty healthy.
I've had a brain tumor (metastsis) removed. Stayed in the hospital 2 days and never took any pain meds! I had cyber knife to my brain for that spot and 2 tiny others. I am now doing chemo one day, every three weeks. They are giving me taxol/carboplatin. So far it hasn't been bad at all. I thought the cyberknife was worse, but since it was just once I can't complain. At my last ct scan the tumors had shrunk considerably in my lungs. This week is my last chemo treatment, I think. They had to lower the dose last time due to it lowered my platelets too much. The next san will show how I am doing after all the treatments.
The chemo gives a lot of fatigue, but I fight that with walking at least 5 days a week...or as much as I can depending on how I feel. I keep well hydrated and eat as helathy as my budget will allow.
Hard to tell you what to expect. It's a roller coaster ride and every day is different. I'm sure it's hard to see your dad cry. I never cried much before this, but now I cry at the least of things....just a kind word will make the tears flow!
Come here anytime to vent, ask quesitons, etc. It's a hard road, and many here are going thru it too.
Faith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

I give you all the credit in the world, really I do! I probably spoke to soon but tonight is the first night he got sick... He has diabeties and that is about it. His cancer is Asbestos/Smoking related.

HELLASRULES, thank you for responding, it meant a lot to me! LOVE your userid....

Will be talking to you!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

Lulu70 HB User

I dont know what help I would be, but my mom had lung cancer 7 yrs ago. The operated though took out her left lung, well she had a piece left of it. REcently she just passed away, she had pnunomia (sp) and later to find out she had cancer in the other lung, masses across her chest (they did a ct scan to see if she hurt herself when she fell) so they didnt look everywhere but from the ct scan they saw the masses, and a tumor on her spine, they said it was in her bones. How long she had this I couldnt tell you, but she functioned everyday, the doctors were in awe. They didnt beleive me, but the day she collasped she was throwing soapy water on the front porch, doing laundry and eating chili dogs. I never knew she had anything but maybe the flu. My heart goes out to you, she never had any chemo or radition, so i cant imagine what you are going through. But they said that even if she recovered from the pnunomia she prolly wouldnt walk again, or function on her own.
You and your family will be in my prayers.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah
Make sure your dad has the right meds to avoid the nausea and vomiting. If what they ahve given him isn't working, call and get something else. I did.
My cancer is smoking related too. (Boy do I feel stupid now! LOL!)
I'm only doing this well because of the Lord. I can't take any credit. He gives me strength and peace.
Seriously though, call the chemo nurse and see if you can get something stronger. He'll do better if he isn't sick.

LuLu70,
What a strong woman your mother was. Tells you a lot about the human spirit. I'm sure you miss her terribly, and I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like an incredible woman.

My prayers are with your dad Dee-nah.
Faith

Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

He already has the medication and he is fully taking advantage of them right now. He has 2 sets so if this doesn't work we have another one lined up.. What gets him right now is seeing little babies come in to get radiation, he completely breaks down. I'm actually glad he is doing that because other then that he shows NO EMOTIONS.

HELLARULES, I will definitely keep you in my prayers, I know I said it before but I mean it.

Lulu70, God Bless her... I hope I have that amount of strength!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

HELLARULES,

Hi, hope you are feeling good today... I had a question for you

My father is starting to have a hard time swallowing, even water is a struggle sometimes. Did you have this problem or anyone else? Also he is getting tired as the days go on, I have pushed him to go walking and that seems to help a bit but it's only a matter of time before that stops as well.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-nah View Post
HELLARULES,

Hi, hope you are feeling good today... I had a question for you

My father is starting to have a hard time swallowing, even water is a struggle sometimes. Did you have this problem or anyone else? Also he is getting tired as the days go on, I have pushed him to go walking and that seems to help a bit but it's only a matter of time before that stops as well.
Hi Dee-nah,
Ihaven't had any problems swallowing but I know others here have.
The treatments, whether it be radiation or chemo can cause a lot of fatigue.
And it isn't a fatigue I could compare to any other. It's quite debilitating, but for me it passes almost completely in a week. I had chemo Thursday, back to the hospital yesterday for neulasta injection, and I got out of bed this morning, made it to the sofa and had a nap.
So I won't push myself too hard to go on a walk today, but I will get outside for awhile just to move my body.
Have you asked your dad's doctors about the swallowing? They don't want him to get dehydrated or not be able to eat. I"d give them a call.
Faith

Closed Thread